PDA

View Full Version : Need Alero Help

Drifte
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
From what I read about the Alero their is no trans fluid dip stick. Theirs a plug like a manual trans, that when full it will drain out. Well from what I have read I found the plug, pulled it and a LOT of fluid came out and the car is as level as I can get it. So now Im worried...IDk if it has enough fluid, or any in their. I have a trans filter kit for it and will probably go ahead and do that. IF anyone has experience with these lemme know. Im just workin in this heat trial and error...

oh and the car is supposed to drive to missouri this afternoon...crunch time.

Scott
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
what year, trans, engine??

Scott
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
ok well Im leaving work now so I wont be on the computer the rest of the day, but when I worked to Zimmerman to correctly check trans fluid like that "according to ford" was to actually have a scan tool hooked up, engine running, level on the hoist, and trans had to be at a certain temperature before you took out the plug. The fun part is putting fluid back into the trans with a pump, its a little messy.

Drifte
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
this is a 2001 Olds ALero, 2.4l. I went ahead and replaced the trans filter, and when I removed the pan not all that much fluid came out. I reinstalled everything pulled the check plug and started adding fluid. I'd say roughly 3quarts in it started coming back out. SO i plugged it and added the rest (maybe 2 more quarts). I had to start it up and back it out to clean up the mess I made and it did so no problem. But I know Im not doing something right here.

30lbsboost
07-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm a gm tech,
call me I can talk to you about it

350-7357
Scott

sLoWnStEaDy
07-11-2008, 08:33 PM
remember how helpful i am when i ask you to build me a box :biggrin:

I had to do a few of those when i was a tech at AAMCO... 4T40E/4T45E FTL!!
but IIRC... there is a fill/vent cap on the top of the trans and there is a fluid level screw on the side of the trans (behind the wheel) Pop the fluid level screw out and fill through the vent/fill until it comes out of the level screw....

better yet:
http://imgplace.com/image_bin/9569/46a731332d968115f3ba1cbdd8d6292a.gif.th.jpg (http://imgplace.com/image/view/46a731332d968115f3ba1cbdd8d6292a)

The fluid level should be checked when the transaxle is near Room temperature or at 40°C (104°F) .

CAUTION: Removal of the fluid level screw when the transaxle fluid is hot may cause injury. Use care to avoid contact of transaxle fluid to exhaust pipe.

The engine must be running when the transaxle fluid level screw is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fluid level screw. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid.

WARNING: Do not turn the engine off with the fluid level screw removed as you can be injured by hot transaxle fluid being expelled out of the fluid check hole.

Let vehicle idle for three to five minutes with accessories off.
Apply brake
Move shift lever through all gear ranges, pausing three seconds in each range.
Place shift lever in Park. Important: Vehicle must be kept level on the hoist.
Raise vehicle on hoist.
Place oil container under fluid level screw.
Remove the fluid level screw with the engine running at idle.
Fluid level should be at the bottom of the fluid check hole. Because the transaxle operates correctly over a range of fluid levels, fluid may or may not drain out of the fluid check hole when the fluid level screw is removed. If fluid drains through the fluid check hole, this transaxle may have been overfilled. When fluid stops draining, the fluid level is correct and the fluid level screw may be installed. If fluid does not drain through the fluid check hole, the transaxle fluid level may be low. Proceed to ADDING TRANSAXLE FLUID.
Install fluid level screw. Tighten 12 N.m (106 lb in)
Lower vehicle.
Shut off engine.

Adding Transaxle Fluid: With the engine running, add fluid at the vent cap location in half liter (1 pint) increments until fluid drains through the fluid check hole. Allow the fluid to finish draining through the fluid check hole.
Install fluid level screw. Tighten 12 N.m (106 lb in)
Lower vehicle.