PDA

View Full Version : Scott Kalitta dies (NHRA car accident)

fbodyguy
06-22-2008, 07:52 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

Domestic Disturbance
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
what a shame

Stutz
06-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah it looked like they need to redesign the tracks for longer shut down lanes.. Hopefully another tragedy like this never happens.

Ninesecsnake
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Its terrible for sure and I feel for his family and friends, but they are riding on 8000+hp land rockets, murphy will eventually come into play a time or two. Just a though before everyone blames the NHRA for this horrible crash.

69gt4speed
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I have seen Connie several times w the bounty hunter but did not know about Scott. Another tragedy. You live on the edge you know things bound to happen.

K-ville
06-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Its terrible for sure and I feel for his family and friends, but they are riding on 8000+hp land rockets, murphy will eventually come into play a time or two. Just a though before everyone blames the NHRA for this horrible crash.

I agree but sayin dont blame the track for its lack of shutdown would be like sayin well there so dangerous anyway you dont have to wear your harness or a helmet. I know that sounds dumb but I think it makes sense.

Rollin on Dubs
07-18-2008, 10:14 AM

I agree but sayin dont blame the track for its lack of shutdown would be like sayin well there so dangerous anyway you dont have to wear your harness or a helmet. I know that sounds dumb but I think it makes sense.

Well NHRA is taking the blame Thats why they are only running Fuel Cars to 1000 ft and will be mandating Most tracks to lengthen there shut down areas. As a santioning body it is there job to make the track conditions as safe as possible for the racer, and many NHRA tracks have had little updates to the shutdown area since the 60s (englishtown NJ for example) when the cars were barly going 200 mph.

http://www.nhra.com/content/news.asp?articleid=30435&zoneid=8

Scott
07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
holy shit Rich you're still alive! havent heard from you in a while, that 1000 foot thing seems kinda wierd, they still go 300 mph at 1000 foot, and when Scott died it all happened before 1000 foot anyway.

Rollin on Dubs
07-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Well from what I understand, Scott was not killed by the motor explosion, It was the collision he had with the pole at the end of the track, (accident is still under investigation) But what NHRA has got from drivers and crew chief’s is that when a motor explodes and blows off the body, And the chutes burn up, they have almost no way to slow the cars down, since the body is blown off of the car (they do not have any down force and there for there brakes are useless). And most teams since Scott’s accident have started using flame retardant chutes and a trip wire right over the burst panel of the body, which in the event of an engine explosion and the driver is knocked out, the chutes are automatically deployed.

But most of the crew chiefs and drivers claim that the cars will be slower by next season so that they can run 1320 instead of 1000 and all cars will be equipped with ABS so that in the event that there is no body on the car and no chutes they will have a better chance of survival.

Scotty I will give you a call sometime (schedule has been nuts lately)