PDA

View Full Version : Damn Flash Flood

ZEE
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I was confident in the fact that I don't live near the river and never thought I would be affected by water. I'm at work, the wife calls me saying we're flooded. I tell her she's crazy. I rush home. Flash flood from the fields around the hood plus the storm drains can't keep up. We did get the van moved before it got to flooded. But the trailblazer was toast and full of mud. The horn was going off and the lights were doing funky things. Had to wade out and disconnect the battery. At its highest the water was halfway up the door on the Trailblazer. The water was passed the first step to the porch of my house and into the garage. About 4 inches in the garage. Huge fast moving river running pas both sides of the house. One side the water was a couple of inches up the glass on the basement windows. Amazingly they just seeped a little. The sump pump was going non stop and was only a few inches from overflowing. So I spent the majority of the morning sucking water out of the sump hole with the shop vac trying to help the pump keep up . I consider myself lucky it stopped rising when it did or my basement would have been a swimming pool. It went down quickly after it peaked. It was incredible. Hopefully every one is doing well and those that are in the flood zone, good luck.

Drove the van acrossed the neighbors yard to get it out.
http://home.mchsi.com/~jturquhart/flood1.jpg

from the front porch
http://home.mchsi.com/~jturquhart/flood2.jpg

from the back deck. This is a very fast moving river of water running alongside the house.

http://home.mchsi.com/~jturquhart/flood3.jpg

DustinsDuster
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
ive been driving through it all day, but been decently lucky so far; i was mostly in Hiawatha today. i stopped home for lunch because i was worried about my basement flooding, but so far, its managed to stay dry. good luck with everything Jay; it sucks to see that type of thing happen to anybody...

Ricky
06-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Our favoite DQ on 1st ave is halfway under water :(

Ashley
06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
That's crazy. We work on 2nd st/4th ave SE so Zac and I were at work from noon-midnight yesterday sandbagging and trying to 'flood-proof' our building.. and then later evacuating and moving all our computer stuff to Mt. Mercy.. it's pretty crazy what's going on.

ZacFields
06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah I was about 2 blocks away from the river all day yesterday until about 10:30pm last night at work sandbagging and drying to keep very expensive electronic equipment dry in the basement of work.

I think mandatory evacuation started in downtown at mid-day so we were sandbagging and watching all the people bail out (and stupid people still coming in) all day. The water was LITERALLY at our heels by the time we actually left. We stuck in there like troopers protecting the business until we couldn't do it anymore and so we loaded up all the computers and office equipment etc and relocated to mount mercy college. They were conducting business there all night and into this morning but the closure of I380 made it so that most of our employees had no realistic way to get across the river.

Here are a few pictures that I took with my cell phone. Ashley has a lot more on her facebook if anyone has that.

Domestic Disturbance
06-12-2008, 01:17 PM
that sucks jay. lucky bout your basement though. things need to start looking up

ZEE
06-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Also the Camaro did survive but it's feet got wet. Flood mud sucks to wash off the floor. I can't imagine that nasty crap on the inside of a house.

Drifte
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
thats incredible, in a bad way. My friends business on 3rd street is up to the roof with water, so i imagine the fair to midland concert is canceled :/

96-eclipse-gst
06-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Thats good to hear Zee, hopefully you have full coverage on that trailblazer. When water gets in to electronics like that its best to just dump it and get rid of it. So make sure if your van starts to act funky drop it before your insurance company says no, your out of the time frame.

At least the Camaro only dipped her toes in to see how cold the water was.

69gt4speed
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Yea Zee in k.c. 77 water came up so fast I lost most everything. Over the top of the 69's so I still remember wading out to the highest point. Lucky ur camaro made it intact. My 69's were over the antennas. And yea flood mud sucks and smells dead. Why I washed w a hp car wash the inside of the cars. I threw away most the house stuff. If I remember right 4000 in sba loans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvMlsKhJsng

on a budget
06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
that looks like stoney point?

my house is royaly fucked, im down by the time check area.

ZEE
06-13-2008, 08:26 PM
The truck has full coverage. But it was paid off and had less than 35 thousand miles on it even though it was a 2002.

JustinS
06-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok, I'm just putting two and two together here Zee. About 3 weeks ago I was out walking with my gf 2 dogs in that area of Stoney Point and saw a really nice camaro (yours) and thought it looked familiar, and now I see your pics from the area and it's all coming together. I was out on a Saturday with a 170 pound german shepard and 70 pound border collie lol. My parents live over on the dead end part of Underwood.

Nice looking house and vehicles you have. 8) Sucks you lost the Trailblazer though.

DustinsDuster
06-14-2008, 01:21 AM
so the german shepherd weighs within 20 lbs of me? thats a pretty big dog....

JustinS
06-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes, he's rather large. Might not be exactly 170, but he's double the size of our family border collie. It's not my dog though, it's a friend of the families.

30lbsboost
06-14-2008, 08:25 PM
yikes!!
With water like that around the trailblazer , you could have been a u-boat captain!
glad it was not too bad jay, i'd say your one of the luckier ones in CR.