PDA

View Full Version : Installing 4.10 gears- Where?

BlownPony306
06-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Anyone know a good place to install my gears that won't charge me an arm and a leg? As much as I'd like to have the factory warranty cover it I don't really want to pay the dealer the 580 bones they want to do it.

logans dad
06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Sperry or Spaw.

69gt4speed
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
What I have always heard.
Use the ford gearsets, they are so close u might not need that special pinion depth tool.
The dealership uses the depth tool to check it anyway.
Then whoever does it should do the same w the tool.
pic of generic one like a rotunda. Btw u might want to tack weld the axle tubes also. Been known to rotate.
http://completeoffroad.com/i-122837-pin ... -tool.html (http://completeoffroad.com/i-122837-pinion-depth-tool.html)

I don't think u want to drag in a rearend, so it has to be done under the car. It's not a 9" Vic, it's like a 12 bolt in case u didn't know about the 8.8. He didn't specify but later foxes have the 8.8.

McKeever
06-05-2008, 07:24 PM
H&W can do it for you. They put a Truetrac in my rear for a great price.

BlownPony306
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
H&W can do it for you. They put a Truetrac in my rear for a great price.
What did they charge you to do that?

McKeever
06-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Around 150

fbodyguy
06-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Saddler Powertrain
West side of the river get off on the southbound quaker oats exit that drops you onto F ave and take a right off the bridge.

Dave is the lead of the shop (LH side when you pull in to their shop).
I have never had an issue with any of their work.

BlownPony306
06-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Doesn't Saddlar require you to drop off the rear though? I was thinking they did.

Urban Legend
06-05-2008, 10:42 PM
I've always dropped the rear off at saddlers. Usually around $100

fbodyguy
06-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Last I knew they had gotten a lift. There was considerable difference in price. From just dropping off the rear end to taking the car into them. I want to say something like 200 difference in price.

Fire Hawk
06-06-2008, 09:50 PM
When I took mine to saddler out of the vehicle it was around the $165-175 range for a complete rebuild of bearing/trac loc/gears. Granted it took them about a week to get it back to me at that point due to the amount of work they had ahead of them.

Something to Chris is I would get a hold of Ford Motor Sales in reguards to them still being able to cover the engine/trans/rear with the aftermarket gears in there. I didn't think about it while we were at work but.... I could of sworn I've read on some boards people had parts installed a ford dealer that were covered but when it came down to it the dlr installed "modification" was the cause of failure and since it was not OE they were SOL. I've read ford denying claims cause there is a mod on the vehicle even though the modification was not related to the failure.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/Keeping-Your-Mod-s-Warranty-Intact.id-2669.html

Found this forum in google search:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-mustang-gt-tech/117922-dealer-visit-computer-de-tune.html

Quote from a member from that link:

how can a dealership have you arrested for removing an intake or something before you brought it in??? Also, right now Ford can/will void your warranty for almost anything (they know ways around that Magnusen-Moss act stuff).......Ford is trying their hardest to kick back warranty repairs, for any reason (that means Ford does not want to pay all this money for **** breaking, even if its their fault)......Ford is in a hole right now, that is why they are cutting production of vehicles and jobs.

Fire Hawk
06-06-2008, 10:01 PM
You can read, you can fight but they will not cover it if they can give you a reason not and any magazine in the world can print what they want and I have yet seen anything major to be covered because warranty work on a modified car is like the Kevin Bacon game you can always link back to the part you installed. Just wait till after 36k miles.

It's kind of up in the air on this one. I'd be torn just like you on what to do. I guess the main thing would be to talk to the dealer and see how friendly they are with mods. Technically you don't have to have them installed at the dealer to keep your warranty but like ^^^^ if they can link the failure to the part :Hangman:

BlownPony306
06-07-2008, 08:03 AM
God I feel like I am at work. lol

Fire Hawk
06-07-2008, 09:21 AM
God I feel like I am at work. lol

Trying to figure out if it'd be covered or not?? :banghead:

or me being the devils advocate on this and buggin you?? :rolleyes:

One thing you could do would be to call around to different shops and get quotes on what it'd cost to have them install them in the car and bring it up to the dealer and be like ok.... you want $580 to install the gears and reflash the car to calibrate the speedo. Ask them for a break down of the install cause with people being motor heads anymore we know what it'd take to get it done and not be bent over by the dealer. :neener:

Ask them why they are so much more ($xxx) then another shop to install the gears so you can compare apples to apples.

Fire Hawk
06-07-2008, 09:37 AM
For kicks and giggles I called up and asked how much it'd be and they quoted $897+tax for everything to rebuild the entire rear end. Ring & Pinion, Bearings, shims.. etc.. Stated he doesn't want to just put in gears and have them making noise. $400 = kit, $497 = labor.

Does the price they quoted you include items you don't already have to do the entire rear end then?

BlownPony306
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah I told them I had the gears already but that was the price they quoted me? Where did you call? Maybe I will have to call again. Maybe I can manage to get the rear end groan that is covered under the TSB and get the labor done for free to r&r the clutch packs.

Fire Hawk
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah I told them I had the gears already but that was the price they quoted me? Where did you call? Maybe I will have to call again. Maybe I can manage to get the rear end groan that is covered under the TSB and get the labor done for free to r&r the clutch packs.

I called up to Lynch Ford in Mt. Vernon and spoke with Ron. I forgot to ask if that recalibrated the speedo. He just stated those prices and that was to do the entire job. I'm sure there's a way to get it installed without breaking the bank and keeping a factory warranty.

stangvortech
06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Lynch ford did my 3.73s and complete rebuild for 850 with out cost of gears. For the speedo I got a sct chip to change the computer. It was alot of money I needed the rebuild to.....

30lbsboost
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
this might be too late, I can do....bring the rear end to me and the parts, I will set up for $100.00
I have all the proper tools and a very clean shop, in most cases I can get the rearend back you the same day

pm me if interested

BlownPony306
06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I haven't acted on anything yet. Been busy with flood work and other family things. Are you able to do it in the car? I was hoping not to have to remove the rear end from the car if possible.

30lbsboost
06-26-2008, 04:21 PM
can do in the car.....$175.00 in the car, cause its a pain in the ass laying on my back( no hoist in the garage yet)

let me know when your ready

BlownPony306
06-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Sounds good. I need to find a tune for my Xcal2 to recal the speedo. Once I have that I will be ready to roll. Where are you located?

30lbsboost
06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm in marion

just pm me or call 310-350-7357