PDA

View Full Version : Puppy problems...anyone with experiance?

TbTalon94
04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Alright so I got a 6week old Husky and he's been havin problems. The whole litter was weaned off way to early and all of them had worms. Well ours was basically fine for the first week we had him and now he's having problems.

It began with him shaking a little and not being able to walk, which turned out to by hypoglycemic reaction they think. So we got medicine and have been giving it to him for the past few days. His state had been continuously improving, from doing nothing but sleeping all day to running around, barking, playing, wagging his tail, eating regularly and everything.

Well last night he was sleeping and then all of a sudden went into a seizure. He started drooling (or foaming) so we put some Kyro syrup (basically a potent hunny) on his gums and he pulled out of it within 10seconds or so. He recovered fine and ate a little more food and was just as happy as he was prior to the episode. We thought he was fine.

Couple hours later we were sleeping in bed and we woke up to him having another seizure. This time he was not only twitching, foaming, but also deficated as well. We tried putting Kyro syrup on his gums again but it didn't seam to help and the seizure lasted probably 2min or so. A lot longer then the first one but the exact time isn't certain since it's hard to keep track of time during something like that.

We took him to the Emergency Vet and they ran a blood test, which revealed his blood sugar was pretty high and that shouldn't cause a seizure or hypoglycemic reaction. The doctor said the Kyro syrup could have raised his blood sugar a lot though. The kept him over night and called us back saying he did great all night and they were going to keep him for a little longer to do another blood sample and keep an eye on him. Well about an hour later they call back and tell us that he had another seizure. So they decide to keep him overnight again and we basically know nothing of what's causing them.

There a bunch of things it *could* be but nothing certain. Kinda shitty seeing a helpless 3lb little puppy uncontrollably shake and drool. It's hard on us and i'm sure it's hard on him.

Anybody have any experience with this or know anything about it?

-Trevor

Drifte
04-18-2008, 10:58 AM
i do not but that really sucks.

foxsgurl
04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
My best friend had that problem with her Jack Russell Terrorist...i mean terrior...and it was because it hadnt gotten a distemper shot yet. He had 2 seizures then after the shot he was fine. It could also be stressed out from being weaned too soon and then going to a new home and there is always the worst that it may have epilepsy. I studied Vet Med 2 years in high school and 1 at Kegwood. That is what I would think from experience and the book I read.

TbTalon94
04-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Ya know a few of my co-workers were asking if he got the distemper shot yet and I don't know for sure if he has. The stress could also play a factor and I thought of that.

The doctors started him on a seizure medicine called phenobaritol. They said they don't think it is epilepsy because he is so young, they usually get epilepsy when they are 2-4 years old.

i'm still confused

allgo
04-18-2008, 01:05 PM
TB, I am not a vet but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night... Ok I would have to go with the pup being taking away from his mama to soon, they really can get really scared with out all there siblings around. I hope your pup gets better cause after this you get to look forward to all of the big piles of shit and chewing that a puppy goes threw..lol

foxsgurl
04-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Then I would ask the people you got the dog from if they gave them any shots. If they didnt then let the Vet know and it should stop. When i was writing the last message, I forgot how old you said he was. I would definitly say that its bc he pry didnt have a distemper shot since hes so young.

Drifte
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM
wow, people are really on the ball here. Use number 95,738 for the iowa auto forums, saving puppies.

btw, he better get happy soon. I havnt even had a chance to meet sky. that and this probably costs a small fortune.

TbTalon94
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
well the Doc said the wouldn't recommend giving him the Distemper vaccine because he's young and is having a lot of things pumping through him right now. They also said if he does have it already it won't cure it.

He's had 4 seizures so far under 24hrs. I really hate doctors, they can never give you a straight answer on what the fuck to do.

foxsgurl
04-18-2008, 06:52 PM
And the only way they can find out without going into its head is by blood, urine, and fetal tests. They cant go inside to figure it out unless its put asleep. And they dont want to do that and then figure out something is not wrong.

TbTalon94
04-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Well we talked to the breeder today and she told us an interesting story.

She had a dog before that was weened off the mother WAY to early and started to have seizures. She took it to the Vet and they gave it all kinds of crap and it just didn't seam to do anything but make the dog very tired and un-healthy. She took him off all the stuff besides the worm medicine and the things it needed as a young pup and started giving him Pedialyte along with soft food. Within a few days the seizures were gone and the dog was growing stronger every day. She said he never had a seizure after that.

I think our dog is just really mal-nutritioned because it was just weened off to early and didn't get the nutrients he needs.

allgo
04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
not being a smart ass but told you so.. thats why they say to wait until atleast 8 weeks to seperate them

Drifte
04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah, trevor your a terrible mother. jk. hopefully thats all it is.

Ricky
04-19-2008, 01:27 AM
i hope everything works out for you man. i love those dogs and cant wait to see the mini baller. pics?

TbTalon94
04-19-2008, 10:26 AM
it wasn't my fault for taking him away from his mother. The mother was nipping at the pups if they tried to nurse. They didn't have a choice but to weene them.

foxsgurl
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Some mothers are like that. Hopefully everything works out great.

Luminatorz34
04-19-2008, 12:34 PM
trev,
i was thinking along the lines of everyone else, with the pup being weened too soon. yeah mother dogs can nip at their pups, to kinda push them away. but still usually wait till 8 weeks to completly seperate them. id say start pumping the little guy with pedialyte like you had mentioned..becuase i have seen pups taken away from their mothers too soon, go into seizures and end up dieing from it. too many seizures start causing brain damage after a while, especially a grand maul type seizure like your mentioning as these 2 minute or so seizures where he deficates...they lose all control of all their body movements when going into grand mauls. just start pumping him with the pedialyte, and believe it or not, get good old fashioned gatorade. believe it or not it works, it honestly helps replace some of the nutrients he is losing when seizing. just my 2 cents. i hope the little guy pulls thru as i have a big heart for animals

Summergirl
04-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I feel for you. I have a miniature daschund that has seizures. After several hundreds of dollars worth of tests, they still don't know why. Granted, his started when he was three, so I sincerely hope the added nutrients work for your puppy. Bam Bam is on phenobarbitol, and will have to take it for the rest of his life. It sucks and it's scary to watch your pup have seizures. Wishing you the best.

amoander
04-20-2008, 09:50 PM
FYI, didn't read whole post and don't know shit about most animals, do know that humans and most mammals when very young can have seizures of unknown origin. Monitor and most will resolve. What you describe (if accurate) without a doubt is a seizure. Good luck.

69gt4speed
04-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Man that's pretty early for weening. Mom raised dogs (german shepherds) and sometimes gave baby formula when the original mother wasn't a good mother. But she has a knack w animals. I've gave bottles to all kinds of animals whatever was all in it depended on animal. U figure their system isn't developed yet, sounds like a b deficiency. A vet should know this though. We lost a hi price dog once w distemper but it was around 9 mo. old. Another old trick I've heard is using a old tick tock clock in it's bed. A lil puppy is scared shitless. Another dog around can help possibly. Doesn't even have to be same kind just right temperment. My lil dog watches the babies. Another trick is have another dog sleep on its bedding then bring bedding home.

allgo
04-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Robs right on the clock they here the clock and think its the heart beat of there mom, take a water bottle and put hot water in it and put it in bed with the pup to.

Ricky
04-21-2008, 01:33 PM
saw him on the weekend. he is a bad ass puppy. i think im going to steal it....

melhoneybee
04-25-2008, 10:45 AM
So, I know it hasn't been long, but has the puppy started to turn around?

Drifte
04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
yeah, i was also curious how the little guys doing...actually I dont even know how trev is doing, havent talked to him in a long while.

TbTalon94
04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
The little guy is doing awesome. He is on phenoberytol (sp) for the seizures and hasn't had one since the day at the hospital. He is up to 5.8lbs as of today and is just as big if not bigger then his siblings. He runs around, plays, barks/howls, ankle bites and everything else a puppy does. He eats a lot, shits a lot, and sleeps a lot.

All in all he is doing great. We have been feeding him pedialyte and that seamed to really boost his energy and growth. Hopefully down the road we can just wean him off the pheno-b drug hoping that it was just from mal-nutrition.

Thanks for all the help guys!

TbTalon94
04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Here's a good picture of him just for everyone :) this was last week where he weighed around 4.5lbs, so he's growing fast!

Drifte
04-25-2008, 01:10 PM
dangit i need to see him before he gets bigger.

Ricky
04-25-2008, 11:28 PM
he is fucking sweet! i played with him and now i want to steal

DustinsDuster
04-26-2008, 05:44 PM
man, i want a dog. Kelli does too, but doesnt think we should get one right now because the dog would be alone for 9-10 hours a day during the week.

congrats on the little guy though, hes a cutie.

Ashley
04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
man, i want a dog. Kelli does too, but doesnt think we should get one right now because the dog would be alone for 9-10 hours a day during the week.

congrats on the little guy though, hes a cutie.

that's our problem too. i reeeally want a dog. BUT, since we both work 2nd shift, the puppy would be alone from like 3pm-1am. and that's not really very good for a new dog, esp a puppy you're trying to potty train and stuff. =/

TbTalon94
04-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Yea he's pretty freaking aweosme. He's really audible though. Barks and howls a lot. It isn't good to leave a puppy alone for extended periods of time when you first get them. That's when they tear up shit and develop an attitude because they don't have any attention.

logans dad
05-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Im sure it will be ok soon. Our dog after about 10 years old would have seizures and found out it was from giving her PPL food. After we stopped that she never had another seizure. I guess it was from the grease. She loved pizza.