PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy your gas!

Drifte
03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Just a reminder about where to buy your gas!

Ok, I have to point out, one of my favorite gas stations (BP) is actually putting outragious amounts of pollution right here in the midwest.
a link for more info on that:
http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/7/19/11408/1307

WHERE TO BUY YOUR USA-GAS

WHERE TO BUY YOUR USA-GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON--
Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.
It might even be good for us!

The Saudis are boycotting American goods.

We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.
Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell......................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.........144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil..............130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway..117,740,000 barrels
Amoco.........................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo Gas comes from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans.

Do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (Oil is now $90-$95 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that
DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco................ 0 barrels
Conoco................ 0 barrels
Sinclair................ 0 barrels
BP/Phillips.......... 0 barrels < big time polluter
Hess.................... 0 barrels
ARC0................... 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy
and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much
they are importing.

This information was forwarded to me in an email. Our environment may not seem like a big deal to some. However, anyone my age (21) who wants a family should be extremely concerned. As having a kid now or anytime after now, your child could be left in a very undesirable place.

TbTalon94
03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
I wonder where the Road Ranger/Quicktrip get their gas from. I stopped buying from the Mobiles because I couldn't understand a damn thing they people said and they are ALWAYS on their damn phone!

ZEE
03-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Totally untrue and inaccurate. http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp

Domestic Disturbance
03-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for catching that Jay

Drifte
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Totally untrue and inaccurate. http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp

Actually its not. Outdated yea. Doesn't change much.

BP is polluting.

57% of our oil is coming from Saudi Arabia and Iraq.

Remember...those people were at war with or something?

The top 4 countries importing oil have changed... a little.

now top:
Motiva Enterprises
Exxon/mobile
Valero
Marathon

Who the F is Motiva...oh its shared ownership of Saudi Refining, Inc. and Shell.

so lets go over that part again
Old top imported New top imported
Shell Motiva Enterprises...aka SHELL
Chevron/Texaco Exxon/mobile
Exxon /Mobil Valero
Marathon/Speedway marathon
Amoco

The argument the "urban Legends" site has is this is not the solution. However, the point of this is to HELP. Ofcourse this is not the ONLY solution. Its step in the right direction. The excuse on urban legend was Japan buys from the middle east, so we might as well. Well, japan doesnt have choice, and japan wasnt at war with them.

Domestic Disturbance
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
death to the infidels!

Ricky
03-31-2008, 10:38 PM
BP bought some wind turbines from us so it looks like they are going to try and turn a new leaf. I just think that on the commercials they are all about clean energy and not polluting and then it turns out they are the biggest polluters hahaha wow.

amoander
03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I don't feel there really is a point in trying to not buy derived crude oil products from the middle east. I believe Canada is #1 producer and or exporter of oil at this time. If I am not mistaken guess who has the largest total volume of unused crude oil, the U.S. of Fn A. Im somwhat sure the US has the largest volume of unused oil compared to any other countries exporting at this time and total volume left to remove from natural sources. I know for sure the US is also #1 producer and source of coal (which we use most of). I think ZEE is correct with his correction (i cant guarantee the citation he used is nor all the data). Every oil company has to publish their oil statistics-like how much they have exported in barrels yada yada yada in the US, or the goverment fines the crap out of them. I can get the cited info but it was back in 2006 or so. It will take me a few days (physics test Wed.) and I don't know if i have the HUGE Packet they submitted in 2006 laying around. Anywho. Dont attack the heck out of me if you have more up to date info., Im gong off the top my head info. that i remember

amoander
03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Ok, found it, but there is some sticky definitions, in the report Recoverable Reserves only refers to oil kept in ground that can be recovered. The us has many large storage areas of huge amounts of oil, but most likely not coiunted (can't prove that at this time of hear say stuff). So I am wrong. The US is the largest producer of coal, but we use it. IF you look carefully and what i thought was good is per capita we are not the #1 user of nonrenewable energy soucres, but consume the largest total volume, also we have actually decrease just slightly our use of nonrenwable resources..

Here is the file

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_interne ... t_2007.pdf (http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/reports_and_publications/statistical_energy_review_2007/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/pdf/statistical_review_of_world_energy_full_report_200 7.pdf)

69gt4speed
04-02-2008, 02:07 AM
The bottom line is this imo, China is using and will use a lot more than they did, it's simple, mo ppl there and they have small resources so they will use more from a limited amount available. Any time we bring up ppl's standard of living they want motorized carts, cars, electricity, running water. We are fkd as everyone wants a piece of the fixed pie. We need another alternative, plain and simple or things will get worse. rf salt water hydrogen something... The other only alternative is destroy all competition, the ppl of the resources, the others that might use resources and we use less to last longer. Let's be "real". All the pollution stuff maybe would go away w a better solution, on oil there is none.
This world is only so big and mo ppl all the time, what u think the outcome will be. I'd say fighting. We fight over cars "here" as it is. A magic fairy better come soon. Btw I hear truckers are on strike... I might tick a lot of esp. youngers off but add it up urself... Make me a liar. Kid urself like I did, run the # and get back to me...Buying less oil might make u last longer if xx ppl doesn't increase on a fixed resource.

69gt4speed
04-02-2008, 02:41 AM
For those that say, "well u drive a cobra", this is my response. I drive 3.1 mi to work my normal stops, if any are on the way, I live right off edgewood, I work on edgewood. I usually drive my t bird to get better mileage. The money/fuel I save might be used to partake in a lil fun now and then. I try not to take more than a small amount. Other coworkers live 30/40 mi from work might drive a economy car. I ask you who saves more? That's 60/80 mi each day x 7 days. Figure 18 mpg vs maybe 38 mpg. Figure in a extra 5 gal if I spank some d/d that week tops. I try a lil. This notion of living 40 mi from work has to go. Numbers don't lie.

TbTalon94
04-02-2008, 07:24 AM
man sometimes it's really hard to follow what your typing...

Drifte
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree, he seems to type exactly what hes thinking haha. I got it though. I live about 3 blocks from school and work, they are the same place. Im not saying we have to drive less. Everyone here enjoys driving more than most things. The only point in starting this thread, is I thought people would like to see that were supporting a country that is boycotting our products and wants to kill us. Doesnt seem like a very good idea, also seems like this has happened before...alkida maybaa

some people have started building their own electric cars, I should too. they are badass actually.

ZacFields
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I can't wait until the first hydrogen car hits the open market. That will be the beginning of the revolution.

Isn't it funny that we're at the mercy of the middle east right now, because without their oil our gas prices would probably triple what they are now.... but once we finally get ourselves into Hydrogen cars, they will be at OUR mercy?

What is the one thing they don't have in the desert? LMAO.

F*CK the middle east. I can't wait until we're all in hydrogen cars. Then they can just sit out there and swim in their oil for all I care. Their economies will die, and they will be even more of a wasteland than they are today.

Drifte
04-02-2008, 11:27 AM
you mean what is the middle east after its out of oil....it goes back to just being a desert.

69gt4speed
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
man sometimes it's really hard to follow what your typing...

Yes I hear you.
So after you guys come up w a 100% solar device and giga watt battery and market it like bill gates did, get on the food issue. Same deal
Food issue? Well consider what happens when u raise the standard of living in a 3rd world country, they live longer, pop increases, eat more, pollute more. I don't like starving ppl but those are the facts. They take away from a limited resource, using the tech we have now. And don't feed me soylent green... That's a 1973 movie btw.

Drifte
04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
^ yea you completely lost me on that one.

although I can say im currently at work at the center for energy and environmental education, were currently teaching kids through games about energy and junk. But this building at the moment is running maybe 10 light bulbs, and a few computers. Theirs 3 low power solar panels to aid in the power, and all the materials used in this building are designed to increase the buildings efficiency.

for example, Large hollow steel tubes in the foyer, all the large glass windows allow the sun to shine in and heat those tubes. They then hold the heat and let it off (actually sealed steal tubes). IM pretty much O/t now but I find these little things really intersting. Like how the unpainted brick aids in efficiency, and lacks oil based paint.
UNI co-generates much of its own electricity with a highly efficient and low emissions fluidized bed boiler as well.
http://www.uni.edu/ceee/images/CEEE_photos/Mvc-009s.jpg
http://www.uni.edu/ceee/images/CEEE_photos/building&corridor2.jpg

amoander
04-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, I know I tend to run my mouth lately, but I think many of you have a huge misconception of the Middle East and energy use. Oh, Rob’s posts are sometimes hard to read because he types informally like one should for post on here. He types what he is thinking like he is talking to someone. We all jump back and forth from typing formally to informally.
There is a big misconception that Hydrogen (H) is the solution. I will let someone post what the most efficient way to produce H on a mass level is, but this process requires a great deal of electricity. So the source of the electricity is in question then. Which I feel is a good solution is nuclear and the best is solar, from satellites in space that transfer the energy via EM wave to land. The space source receives 24 hours light hat a far higher intensity. Big startup cost but there are solutions. I can give specific source in Scientific America if one wishes (I’m kinda lazy today). What is great about H is 0 toxic emissions. The next trouble is an effective form of storage which we do not have at all. The best possible answer with very promising research is in solid state H storage (just wrote a short report on).
Now to the Middle East. The al queda (not alkyda-hebrew and Arabic have some crazy spellings, I mess up all the time) should not be our main concern, look into the history of why the Middle East is in such trouble. Shi ‘it Islam and the Ayatollah revolution in the mid 1950’s, and the al queda are simply a byproduct of their radical Islamic movement. The Islamic Culture and Muslim religion as a whole are not violent as made out to be, but their way of thinking is vastly different than the American population. I can explain or refer people to some good books to help you understand, but I don’t want to hog the post. The number one source of money backing to the radical Islamic movement is actually illegal opium trade. Look it up Afghanistan in 06 or so was the #1 opium producing country in the world (compared legally and illegally). So you dope head knock it off. Yes oil dose support the Middle East, but not always in a bad way. I personally like to point the finger at OPEC, they are the ones price gouging and making huge profits and so on. Ah Hell blows up the world and we can start over as Pro

69gt4speed
04-03-2008, 12:58 AM
I always leave unanswered questions in my posts. I figure u might look it up, get the meaning of my half statement. Take "don't feed me soylent green". What does that mean? Synopsis...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25tTzGJ ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25tTzGJmcs&feature=related)

I personally take offense w the oil co. making record profits, not expanding their research grant money x10 at least. No, they let the gov. provide most the funding (you and me). They feed us tv ads promoting their new green logos. When u guys get a soution do what bill gates did, sell it urself, reap profits urself, don't sell to some energy corp. Then we can sit on here and bitch u charge too much.... Btw when i say grant money I mean it is that granted money without the non disclosure etc. legal mumble jumble. Say each st. university gets x dollars to spend for their research programs as the university sees fit. I'd rather trust you ppl than the energy corp U might have a edgar cayce dream whereby the solution is described.

And Adam those ppl can't get along, no different than westboro baptist church likes Iowans. We are fags, therefore we die/should die. I had several coworkers in k.c. (when the shah was deposed) that came from iran told me how they changed. The thing is conditioning over and over eventually gets even rats to obey and believe. They start some of them young, by 14 will carry bombs on their back cause they were told it is the right thing to do. No different than dad telling u over and over chevy good, ford bad. U know the type. Or vice versa. No matter if facts stare them in the face, it is still the same response.

amoander
04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Rob, I agree with ya on the last paragraph you typed. I know i post a lot of stuff on here and throw up links. I have been trying to "educate" myself for 6 years not to just make good money and have a good career, but to know why the world is the way it is and what to do about it, but the more i learn the answers to questions the more questions arise. I know why many things are the way they are, but honestly I don't have any more answers to energy and social issues then most people and my prof.s don't eithier. I know this: Religion is about bilief (and not science fact so can't argue with) so there will always be issue there and the world revolves around money/power(ie resources) which as a US citizen we have lost most of ANY of our power to radically and quickly change our goverment therefore a huge change in how and what energy we use will take longer then the issue will to destory us. The positive to our goverment is that it slowly slips into troubled states so its chance of sudden collapse is less, but the negative is what i pointed out above. Nice youtube link Rob. My head hurts now. Im going to the drunk pic thread and start drinking.

ZEE
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I think some people worry to much about saving a world that don't need saving. Just live a little. The world will fix itself. Simple supply and demand. If and when oil runs out there will be something to take it's place. Prices get high enough that sparks interest into other forms of energy. These things will always work out. I guarantee nothing will be done until there is no other choice but to change. That's the way it always has been since the dawn of man. We must adapt to survive. No matter what energy we have or what the air quality we have we will adapt. I often wonder how early man would survive in the drastically different quality of air that we consider normal. It would probably be the same millions of years from now for us. If we could travel in time we probably wouldn't like the the air quality in the future either. It's not like we can destroy the Earth or anything.

RWSZ71
04-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Eh s%^# we're all screwed.

69gt4speed
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
My opinion is this, just trying to motivate these youngers a lil. I guess we olders always want better for the younger generation. Things really can't go on as like as its been, like we did more or less. Dependent on unstable countries, that's bs. The lil ol iraq deal has scared if nothing else oil prices way up. And the co. have reaped large profits yet say refinery capacity is low, a refinery burns, prices go up. Fk that imo. I didn't care much at 30 or 40 the state of world affairs, but numbers don't lie. A fixed amount of energy as it is only the rich will be able to afford to drive a camaro soon. I'd rather have a solution now than later and tell them to stick it. We have been working since 73 on this stuff, haven't seen any real progress besides some engine efficiency and other small tricks. We are still drawing from the same sources. And more ppl are doing it each day. Did you realize california is the #3 gasoline user in the world? China is #2.
China....
With real gross domestic product growing at a rate of 8-10% a year, China's need for energy is projected to increase by 150 percent by 2020. to sustain its growth China requires increasing amounts of oil. Its oil consumption grows by 7.5% per year, seven times faster than the U.S. Why do you think China sponsors iran? We sponsor the house of saud correct? And we tried the deal in iraq? Energy war, not cold war. He who has most energy wins. China is scouring the world to make deals w anyone to secure energy.
Why I say do something.

ZEE
04-04-2008, 08:53 PM
OPEC is what determines oil prices. The more oil OPEC allows to be produced the lower the prices. Also we need more refineries. Every time a refinery has a problem and doesn't produce gas the prices go up. Nobody can build any refineries because of government red tape. Same thing with power plants. To much red tape to build one. Not to mention the opposition from the public every time some one wants to build one.

The day that only rich people can afford gas that will be the day a solution is reached. That's why nothing much has been done since 73. Even now people can still afford gas. We don't like it but we can still afford these prices.

Drifte
04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
ah I forgot about this. but yea, basically wont see any real change untill we HAVE to...as usual. I hate to think one day I have to give up my turbo, but I do have a lot of experience with electric cars to get into tuning those for added fun.