PDA

View Full Version : Im New :o)

mimosa
03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey, Im new found the site searching for tint and light laws

I have a few questions for that I cannot find searching the web.

I believe my tints are illegal, how much are the tickets and how often do you get pulled over?

Is it true I can get an exemption from a doctor for my tints?

Can I have blacked out tail lights legally?

Can I have neon lights legally?

thanks

ZacFields
03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
I can field a couple of those.

Firstly, are you from Iowa? If you are, the tint limit here is 70% (which is basically no tint at all).

You CAN get some sort of note from an eye doctor saying that you are hypersensitive to light or something like that. I think this is fairly easy to get if you tell an eye doctor that you have a hard time seeing when there is bright sun in your eyes.

I'm pretty sure blacked out tail lights are legal in Iowa as long as you can still see the lights when you break and when you're in reverse, etc.

Lastly, any light on your vehicle that is not its' natural color is illegal in Iowa. When I was younger I had a couple 12" neon lights sitting in my back window and I was pulled over for them. The cop said that any light on my vehicle that is not the factory color is illegal. Like if I were to put a green bulb in for my brake lights, that would be illegal.

Welcome to Iowa Auto Forums!

sLoWnStEaDy
03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Welcome...

EDIT: i knew someone would beat me to it by the time i finished typing...

"legal" window tint is 75% IIRC which i sbasicaly suran wrap so...
As for getting pulled over, the CRPD dont really bug you all that much. It is the Sherrifs adn Marion cops that are dicks about window tint. I've only gotten one ticket in the 2-3 years i have had tinted windows and it was about 3 months ago. Cost me about $90, only got the ticket because they where trainging the new recruits and what not so i think they where trying to look good or something... I have been pulled over probably 5-6 times and not a single officer mentioned my tint except the sherrif who wrote me my ticket...

you can get a prescription for window tint but it is unlikely, i have been trying for a while...

I have blacked out tails and haven't had any issues...

neons (i assume you mean underbody neons) are legal as long as the bulb itself isnt showing. Also they can not resemble "emergency" lights either. Personaly i have blue ones on my fiero and haven't been bugged

ZacFields
03-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Go with keith's answers, lol!

Although I think the tint limit in Iowa is 70%. I can't imagine why they'd change it to make it even worse.

mimosa
03-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes I am from Iowa.

Thanks for the info. I probably should have asked these questions before I went and tinted my windows lol.

I was curious because I passed a CR cop today and got all spooked. lol

sLoWnStEaDy
03-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Go with keith's answers, lol!

Although I think the tint limit in Iowa is 70%. I can't imagine why they'd change it to make it even worse.
you are right , it is 70% not 75% like i thought

Personaly i have 15% and 5% but I wish i would have just done 5% all the way around. The ticket is the same either way so... In all honesty i just did it because of my son and the fact that my eyes ACTUALY are really sensiive to light. Thats why I try my hardest not ot drive at all when it is dark...

So... the improtant question(s) what do you drive? any mods? Are you a "car chick" as they say or just bored and poppin around the net?

allgo
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Tinted tail lights are illegal, they may not pull you over now but one day when they need or want a reason they will.

RWSZ71
03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Welcome. Window tint is good.

DragonUSMC
04-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a window tint exemption... but my eyes got a bit fuked up from rocket blasts in the war...

Its easier for someone in my situation to get the high tint polarized stuff because well you the tax payer take care of it.

the normal DOT tint exemption is only valid for a year and only lets you take it down to 60% because my tint is expensive as crap and polarized i had to get it through the VA.

I still get pulled over... but really only when i take trips up to Marion. But then they get thrown out. But i've had a few nice words to tell the rookie street beats who say my 5 documents from the DoD, DOT, VA, USMC, Davenport PD, arent good enough.