PDA

View Full Version : Sig Limitation

TbTalon94
03-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Ok...Obviously it would be good to have a limitation, because some sig's are absolutly HUGE (allgo) and don't need to be that big.

Also my main idea is to limit one sig showing per topic. They have it on supra forums. It just shows their sig the first time they post, then from then on it doesn't. It cuts down on A LOT of space usage and of course loading time. Would make loading topics much faster and clean it up a bit IMO. Idk if our forum base can do that but you might want to check into that Zac.

ZacFields
03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Trev I definitely do like the "1 sig per topic" idea. I have already looked into it, and while it isn't currently included in the software, and it doesn't currently exist for the software, I will be keeping my eye out for it.

Here are the limitations that we are able to put on the sigs, for those interested:

Allow or Disallow

Images within sigs[/*:m:orjmed4m]
Smilies within sigs [/*:m:orjmed4m]
Links within sigs [/*:m:orjmed4m]

Number Limits

Signature length in characters (currently set to 255 characters)[/*:m:orjmed4m]
Maximum number of links (set to 5) [/*:m:orjmed4m]
Maximum signature font size (set to 200%)[/*:m:orjmed4m]
Maximum image width/height (currently no limit is set)[/*:m:orjmed4m]

I don't really think Allgo's sig is too big, but I wouldn't want anything bigger than that. I don't want anything that will stretch the page horizontally. I will test out the site with different page resolutions and come up with a sig width and height that is fair.

And again, I will definitely look into that "one sig per topic" idea. I really like that.

Also, I will be looking into a modification that will limit the filesize of signatures. I know that some moving signatures (like my own, below) can bog down some systems very badly on the first page load. I believe this is due to the image size, so I will be looking into a way that I can impose a file-size limit.

biohazard
03-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree with Trevor, I think sig limitations would be a good idea. Atleast have a set size for the signatures, image and textwise.

ZEE
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
I like the size limitation but not the idea of one sig per topic idea. I frequent alot of forums and none of them do that. Loading time hasn't been an issue here since Zac changed whatever it was that changed. Host or BB type I don't remember what it was.

JustinS
03-19-2008, 07:59 PM
100 High x 600 wide is what most other boards use as a standard. My internets are slow at my current apartment and allgo's sig slows down page loads by a ton.

I say limit.

TbTalon94
03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
most other forums don't have them becuase their forum type doesn't allow it, or they don't need it due to server quickness or member size.

Honestly it makes the forums look A LOT cleaner. Just go look around on Supra forums. There it's so clean and the sigs show up on one post. You still have the avatar every post...just not a big gaudy sig. I'm pretty sure they actually just limit a picture one per topic. The txt may still stay there.

Malibu
03-20-2008, 08:20 AM
I like the idea of removing pictures in signatures all together. People will still have their avatars.

TbTalon94
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
ah most people would bitch about that. Honestly the one signature per topic is where it's at. It's just all positive!

black88gt
03-20-2008, 12:15 PM
another +1 for a limit, some of them are annoyingly big

Drifte
03-20-2008, 11:33 PM
limited signatures for the MFW!

96-eclipse-gst
03-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I would agree on Trevor's idea. It will show everyone's sig on their first post. Thats all you need. Would definately keep page numbers down, and not to mention faster loading for those with "restrictive" internet.

Domestic Disturbance
03-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I like the sig's we have. Some are kinda big but o well. 1 per topic would kind of suck IMO. I wouldnt compare this to the supra forums, from wat i hear they run thingsweird on there

DustinsDuster
03-26-2008, 08:58 PM
i thought it fitting to use this thread to host a new pic for my sig. enjoy.

AllAmericanMuscleChick
03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I def agree on the limiting sigs.... I think it takes away from the topic... and also with the sometimes ridiculous loading times and what not

Fire Hawk
04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I def agree on the limiting sigs.... I think it takes away from the topic... and also with the sometimes ridiculous loading times and what not