PDA

View Full Version : If I may make a few suggestions.

biohazard
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I just have a few suggestions that I've seen work on another site that I frequent.

If you would take a look and compare my profile in the attached imgae, I think the layout of the profile page could look better and cleaner. Maybe even a few of the features on my Neowin profile would be nice to see, possibly the Last Visitors, Comments, and so on.

If we had a lot more activity, I would suggest (if possible) the Latest Forum Activity item on Neowin. Just an idea.

I'm working on getting the word out here about IAF so I can hopefully add some more numbers to the site.

If you consider any of my ideas, great. Or if not, I won't be heart broken and cry like a little girl. It's just some feedback and some ideas. If I think of anything else, I'll post in this topic.

ZacFields
03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Nate,

Looks like the other forum is using IPB I believe, good choice on their part. It's a paid forum-type, but it comes with all the bells and whistles preinstalled.

Some of that stuff is a definite possibility. When I get home from work, I will see what's available and I will respond to this topic with some possibilities.

black88gt
03-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Dont see this getting used much, or maybe it's just me. Never looked at anyone's profile, not to mention most people on here know who the other people are. On the larger forums I'm on the profile page isnt altered about 99% of the time, even though there are dozens of fields, places for pics and albums, etc.

biohazard
03-18-2008, 06:03 AM
It was just an idea, I kinda figured that the profiles here don't get looked at often. I guess it's kinda cool that you can see who last looked at your profile though.

And yeah Zac, they pay for their forums, I guess since they have over 7,000,000 posts and over 200,000 members it probably is. (And it's Brandon, not Nate)

And maybe if you want to make some money for hosting and whatever, for a set donation they can be an IAF Supportor (new member level) and have a fancy badge or whatnot I know that's helped that forum, of course we get access to a secret forum and our own blogs and that was $12 a year.

TbTalon94
03-18-2008, 07:35 AM
All good ideas Brandon, but I don't think those things would help the site increase traffic. Like black88gt said...most everyone here knows one another and never look at profiles.

Also on the donation thing. People on IAF aren't exactly overflowing with money, it's hard enough to get people to donate for the BBQ's let alone the website. Zac has to sell t-shirts and stuff at dirt cheap or they won't sell. Plus the regular visitors all have donated already lol.

Drifte
03-18-2008, 07:37 AM
haha i thought zac was good with names. here hes just been making them.

...i like you betty.

ZacFields
03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Sorry Brandon for some reason when I saw your post I thought you were Nate Mum. Don't know why I got that mixed up!

Everything is a possibility. I will definitely start on the things that are going to be the most effective. That'll keep the site running fast. I don't want to mod out the site so bad that I'll end up back in expensive hosting again.

The donations thing is a definite possibility. I've thought about things like that many different times and just never got around to putting it into action. I probably won't do it right now, but if we're able to increase traffic dramatically and I have to upgrade hosting, it will be on the to-do list!