PDA

View Full Version : Ricky and Zac's first cruise of the year 3/14

ZacFields
03-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Me and Eric cruised all day yesterday until he had to go to work.

My first reaction at 10am when I embarked on the trip out to Swisher to meet with eric was: "OH SHIT IT IS COLD!" My hands were so numb by the time I got to Eric's house that I wasn't sure how long we'd be able to ride.

Once I met with Eric, we decided that we were going to try and keep it on the lower MPH roads for the sake of not freezing to death. The weather warmed up a bit shortly after 10am when we took off, I think it was about 41 degrees at that point.

We rode out to airport road and took that all the way to edgewood road. We stopped at the Wendy's on Edgewood over by Carlos O Kelleys and Applebees for some lunch around 10:45.

We decided at Wendys that the next place we needed to go was the Motorcycle/ATV place that is located in the old Auto-Maxx building. Reason: We wanted to look at some gloves!

We got to the place and they only had a few sets of gloves, and the pair I looked at were over $50 and didn't look to be any warmer than the gloves I was wearing. I said "no way" on that one. It was then that I decided that I need to get my hands on some snowmobile gloves, but it was getting warm enough outside (getting close to the high of 46 or 47 for the day at this point) that I figured the new gloves could wait.

We drove back to my house right off of 16th avenue and watched "Talladega Nights" for about 15-20 minutes while we warmed up. "Chip, I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTAIN DEW!"

We left my house and hopped on first avenue and took that all the way out to Lindale Mall. We went inside Sears trying to see if Andrew was working, but we didn't think he was so we left.

Drove out to a friend of Eric's, I think his name was Spencer. Another sport-bike owner. Damn will somebody buy a cruiser for God sake? I've got nothing against sport-bikes, but I'm going to look really stupid trying to hang with a group of 5 or 6 sport-bike riders. Like I told Eric, our engines may be the same size (600cc's) but 600cc on a cruiser is not even close to 600cc on a sport bike. My bike is heavier, geared differently, and I'm sure runs a lot less compression than his bike, among many other things.

Either way, Spencer (again I think that was his name) showed me a picture of his bike, and it does look very nice. He didn't have it here in CR with him, but he will have it soon. We'll probably go cruising sometime soon, the three of us, but I'm still thinking I'm going to be playing a lot of catch up. Spencer sounds like he likes to go fast. LOL

Eric and I took off.... well I took off, and it was then that Eric discovered that there's a kill switch in his kickstand, so he's got to have that up before he puts it in gear. I had no clue what was going on at that point until we stopped again. Then I laughed!

We stopped at the A&W down by the airport and I had the best Rootbeer Float in my entire life.

Then we headed back to Swisher to Eric's house. I did a few spin-outs at about 30mph on the sand on Eric's street. That was pretty fun...even though it was kinda stupid.

I dropped Eric off (he has a permit right now and needs to be around a licensed rider) and then went home. And that's my story.

Hopefully many more riding stories to come soon!

RWSZ71
03-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Good to hear someone got to enjoy the nice day. Last time I rode it was 17 air temp.

ZacFields
03-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Really?

I didn't even want to go cruising today. Eric wanted to go again but I took it around the block today and I was freezing. Being about 10 degrees colder than yesterday (I think it got up to like 37 today rather than the 47 it was yesterday) I decided I didn't want to go.

I think we're going to go out again tomorrow if weather cooperates. Do you still ride, RWSZ71? Or did that crash change your viewpoint on riding?

RandomHero
03-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Zac, Adam Roeder and Tyler Blaha both have nice cruisers. i can call them if you want to roll with them. they ride alot and in bigger groups, they all ride cruisers.

RWSZ71
03-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I still ride bikes all the time, in fact I'm probly getting the bike outta storage today.

ZacFields
03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
That's good to hear. Maybe we'll all get together and go for a cruise sometime.

JustinS
03-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I really need to find people to ride with in Ames, you can only ride for so long alone before you get bored. Glad you guys had fun.

And 40 degrees isn't cold, when you're riding in 20 degree weather NOW thats cold! :rolleyes:

ZacFields
03-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Justin, all I know is that if I keep riding around in weather like this then I need to go buy some snowmobile gear. Standard motorcycle gear is not meant for this weather! lol

Really it's just our hands for the most part. Eric handles it a little better because his bike shields a little bit of the wind going to his hands. I also need to install some hand heaters on my bike (little wind shields infront of my hands)

Come on down here Justin.

ZEE
03-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Buy some heated grips.

RWSZ71
03-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Yep I could use those heated grips. I wanna make a run to Ames before classes are over, my sister lives up there and has requested my bike and I make an appearance.

JustinS
03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I'll be in CR soon enough with the bike. I have stuff I need to do and all my tools are sitting in my parents garage. Living in an apt with no tools ftl!

Ricky
03-17-2008, 12:44 AM
my knee caps froze today

Drifte
03-17-2008, 09:27 AM
i get a chubby at anythign over 140. but you know that already...

Ricky
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Im harder then a diamond in an ice storm!

Ricky
03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Drove the beast today to school. Plan on ridding it to work too. they say 57 degrees today but on the way to school it was 42. I didnt get cold so im happy about that. anyone else bringing there hogs out?

JustinS
03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Nope, I've got maintenance stuff to do before i want to ride it again. Damn me for putting it off!

RWSZ71
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Probly rollin to cr later, anyone up for drivin gimme a yell 319-540-1444

Ricky
02-06-2009, 10:50 AM
well i wanted to start early this year.... i will be ridding my bike to work today after lunch. Feb6!

Drifte
02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
haha nice. It was so nice outside yesterday I was outside from like 9 to 5 no breaks for food or anything. Just working on my car and other stuff.

krustindumm
02-06-2009, 03:08 PM
my bike is stuck in swisher till the ice road melts.

Drifte
02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
haha ice road bikers.

Roosterk0031
02-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Fired up the Concours and did about 30 miles yesterday, big windscreen, electric vest, blizzard pants were a little too much, had to keep the visor up to stay cool.

Drifte
02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
your a wiley old man.

JustinS
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
My bike is still....broke. But, I did get it started on Tuesday, the first time since August, yikes.

Drifte
02-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I thought I'd be clever and get myself a Campagna but they start at 50k. Looked at the Buell I would like to have the other day. its 10k. Im a designer, so the Buell is a must, cant afford the Italian bikes!