PDA

View Full Version : Impreza Rims and Exhaust

RangerXLT
03-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I got my exhaust put on, Flowmaster, and I bought the 17" rims from Zac...let me know what you think.
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3213/impreza001oa4.jpg

and the rims are:
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5694/impreza002sb6.jpg

DustinsDuster
03-13-2008, 07:05 PM
looks good; but needs to be lowered a bit i think...

RandomHero
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
you going off roading?

ZacFields
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Looks nice Josh.

I didn't think those rims would look quite that good. Pretty good for a $180 investment I'd say ;)

This spring we'll work on sanding out all the rust spots and filling them. Keep it clean and take care of it. I stopped wanting to spend my money on my cavalier a while ago... but I will say one thing about aesthetically modding your car: It makes you take a lot more pride in it. Find me 1 other person that has driven the same cavalier from age 16 to age 22 without ever having it break down or need any major repair. I plan to drive it for another few years even.

Looks real good though.

ZacFields
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
looks good; but needs to be lowered a bit i think...

Yeah people always said that about my Cavalier but I never seriously considered it. I thought about getting airbags for a while, but when you're daily driving a car in Cedar Rapids Iowa, you don't want it to be low. My cavalier isn't lowered at all and I have a rough time getting around in some areas of downtown where I work.

I'd just be scared of being one of those guys that gets stuck in a pot hole or something that you see on youtube!

RandomHero
03-13-2008, 11:09 PM
you could actually make that look very nice really cheap.
as Zac said fill in the rust holes and the dents, as you are doing that shave the blinkers on the fender, shave the side molding on the doors and 86 all the emblems. paint it black. flat black would look amazing with the wheels. tint the windows and give it a tasteful 1.5-2" drop. all that total your probably looking at $500-$1000 if your willing to do the work yourself. tinting i would recomment a pro to do tho.

ZacFields
03-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Sounds about right to me Matt. He's got a buddy that'll paint it for him for free as long as he buys the paint. I agree, flat black paint will look outstanding with those rims.

I am going to miss those rims. That's a custom powder-coat job Josh; you won't see another car running around with silver vein wheels. That powder-coating along costed me $200. Overall between the 2 sets of tires, the cost of the rims, and the powdercoat, I spent $1,700 on those wheels in just 4 years. I definitely gave you a bargain on them at $180, but it was well worth it to get them out of my garage. I just had no plans on ever putting them back on my cavalier. I thought about it the other day, but I just don't have the desire anymore.

DustinsDuster
03-14-2008, 06:43 AM
you bought it from Zimmerman/Houdek? who there helped you?

RangerXLT
03-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I am going to paint it black for sure once it gets a little warmer outside. We are going to sand the rust down and we were going to try and get rid of the blinkers, but I would need some help with that. We even thought about getting the wheels colored to match the newer Subaru gold wheel color. Either way, the car is getting painted black. As for lowing it, I'm afraid if I lower it too much it would rub. If I could get it lowered without rubbing then that would be pretty amazing. The next mission is to get windows tinted. I think I'm going to Auto Toyz to get that done. Should be done within a month or so, I will deff. post pictures as everything gets done though, it should end up being a pretty sweet car. I feel good driving it around now instead of all of my older pieces of shit that I am used to driving. Thanks for all of the advice and compliments though everyone, I appreciate it.
By the way, at Zimmerman, it was a guy with the last name of Houdek who helped me. I don't remember his first name, if I saw it then I would probably remember, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

DustinsDuster
03-14-2008, 10:25 AM
I am going to paint it black for sure once it gets a little warmer outside. We are going to sand the rust down and we were going to try and get rid of the blinkers, but I would need some help with that. We even thought about getting the wheels colored to match the newer Subaru gold wheel color. Either way, the car is getting painted black. As for lowing it, I'm afraid if I lower it too much it would rub. If I could get it lowered without rubbing then that would be pretty amazing. The next mission is to get windows tinted. I think I'm going to Auto Toyz to get that done. Should be done within a month or so, I will deff. post pictures as everything gets done though, it should end up being a pretty sweet car. I feel good driving it around now instead of all of my older pieces of shit that I am used to driving. Thanks for all of the advice and compliments though everyone, I appreciate it.
By the way, at Zimmerman, it was a guy with the last name of Houdek who helped me. I don't remember his first name, if I saw it then I would probably remember, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

thats the thing, my friend Corey, his older brother Clint, and their dad all run that place. guess it doesnt really matter, just curious.

Drifte
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
funny thing their is honda guys love the teal. Its least common, and easily accented. Same for the sidemarkers, JDM yeo. Id lower tint and roll. Of course fix the rust.

looking good

Drifte
03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
you going off roading?
lol, I so wish I had a pic of your cars right now!

almost owned!

Domestic Disturbance
03-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Blinkers on the side would look good tinted too. Probably easier to do than shaved.

RangerXLT
03-14-2008, 06:05 PM
true that..good ideas.

RandomHero
03-14-2008, 07:16 PM
thats why i said do a 1.5-2" drop. it wont be slammed but it will be a tasteful drop. otherwise with the 17" your car looks like a roller skate.

RandomHero
03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
you going off roading?
lol, I so wish I had a pic of your cars right now!

almost owned!
i drive an SUV its supposed to be tall. my white car wasnt that tall cause the 18s compinsated the gape decently.

ZacFields
03-14-2008, 08:44 PM
I still don't agree with the lowering thing.

The main reason I never lowered my car was for safety purposes (like scraping my $1,600 fiberglass body kit) but the next reason I never did it is because I have yet to see a car that really looks any better lowered.

It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess, but IMO lowering is something you ought to do on a show car, because it's something that makes life suck when you're driving it around on a daily basis.

To each his own, though. I just honestly see no point in it... it'd be one of the last things on my checklist of things to do on a car. For every person that ever told me my car didn't look good because it was too tall, I had at least 10 people that never would have noticed it.

Ricky
03-15-2008, 07:41 AM
every car needs a 1.5 inch drop to make it look just right (some may need more) unless you drive a BMW then your ride hight to wheel gap ratio is perfect

RandomHero
03-16-2008, 12:39 AM
agreed 100% w/ Eric :bigthumb:

RangerXLT
03-16-2008, 10:57 AM
after thinking about it, a 1.5" drop would be nice. I don't think i'd run into any problems with getting stuck, i'll deff. consider that and maybe put that plan into action this summer..

Drifte
03-16-2008, 11:15 AM
every car needs a 1.5 inch drop to make it look just right (some may need more) unless you drive a BMW then your ride hight to wheel gap ratio is perfect

pretty much. Even car manufacturers know this, watch commercials and see if those cars are riding a little low.
kinda an example here. its hard to find non lowered dsms.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/5/8/4/0/6/100_0491_a.jpg
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/7/9/6/9/4/alseeedit_good_ground.jpg

matt wherever you are. I found my file of all your cars. I even have some of the blazer.
celebrity, eclipse, eclipse too.

ZacFields
03-16-2008, 12:04 PM
That's the thing though, I think the lowered DSM looks kinda dumb compared to the one that's at stock height. It's a matter of opinion, and I think lowering a car is only popular because it's a cheap mod to do. I want to find whoever was the first to decide that a car looks cooler when it's lower to the ground and smack him around a little bit.

Maybe I just am too focused on driveability. I think a car that is driven all year round as a DD should not be lowered unless you want to be pushing around snow in the winter and ultimately end up with a scratched up and cracked front end.

RWSZ71
03-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Sounds like its gonna be a fun car.

Drifte
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Im interested in how it sounds. Stick a nice intake on their finish her up.