PDA

View Full Version : New Speed Shop In Cedar Rapids..

allgo
03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Dont know if some of you know this yet but Brian havlick and Scott Wharton opened a new shop right across the street from Duffys, I stoped in there today nice place and I think there are going to do a good job of suppling us with parts know that Lints is closed. Could be a great spot to hang out before and after street races on fridays and saturdays.

RandomHero
03-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I need to stop in and tell Scott Hi, I havnt seen him since my last day at work. Me and a buddy helped him with their logo. They will have a very quality shop, ive seen Scotts work first hand and its nothing to joke about, its flawless. Plus hes a super awesome guy.

Fire Hawk
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Dont know if some of you know this yet but Brian havlick and Scott Wharton opened a new shop right across the street from Duffys, I stoped in there today nice place and I think there are going to do a good job of suppling us with parts know that Lints is closed. Could be a great spot to hang out before and after street races on fridays and saturdays.

Lints is closed now?? I knew he said he wanted to sell his shop but didn't realize he was getting out of it that soon.

So what's the name of the shop??

DustinsDuster
03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
ive been talking to Havlik about it, and im excited to go and check it out.

i didnt know Lint's was closing; maybe thats why he offered me a Detroit locker for my Dana 60 at such a good price...

amoander
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Sounds nice. But what cocerns me is dumba$$'$ who will park there/hang out who nobody knows. Get the cops called, damage property, and cause genrealy trouble. This happened in my home town. Performance shop opened up and he encouraged everyone to park and hang out there on fri. and sat. nights. He only told people he knew and their friends. Make a long story short he was tired of getting phone calls from the police at 3-4 in the morning for suspicous activity and so on by people that none of us knew. He just told the cops to allow no loitering and all. It was great at first. I also thought well if people come her i don't know, well Ill just tell them to leave. Problem is the people who new the owner werent' aslways out or out that late to do so. I just don't want to see this happen to good people with a good buisness.

allgo
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Lints is closed now?? I knew he said he wanted to sell his shop but didn't realize he was getting out of it that soon.

So what's the name of the shop??
Name of the shop is H&W inc speed shop

Domestic Disturbance
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Heard about this place. Havlik has a few projects already underway since Drag Week from people wanting him to build their stuff. Sounds pretty awesome.

stangvortech
03-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Sweet I will check it out some time.

StreetSweeper
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Prety neato, we all know how fast his street cars are! should help out the car scene locally big time!

RandomHero
03-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Warton has a crazy fast street car. He used to drive it to work in the summer. Its beautiful.

Scott
03-06-2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah the shop down there is awesome, soon they will have alot of parts, fittings, nitrous refill's. I can guarantee the prices will be very very competetive with any other place you can order them from as well.

TbTalon94
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
So is this pretty much a retail store with some building of motors/etc. as well?

Scott
03-06-2008, 08:36 AM
This is actually a shop with a little parts store in the middle of it. They will do almost anything, both of them are very talented fabricators, Scott can produce some of the best looking tigs welds around. Headers, exhaust, engine builds, nitrous, turbo/blower plumbing, suspension, drivetrain etc..

DustinsDuster
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
i might have to talk to him about some help with my Duster. hopefully the new job will help with funding it a lot better.

JacobS
03-06-2008, 11:12 AM
where exactly is it located? im not quite sure where duffy's is...

Domestic Disturbance
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
right off 380 same exit is if you were going to hawkeye downs, just on the other side of 380. Forget the exit number or road. Duffy's has the car up in the air above it. Hard to miss.

Ashley
03-06-2008, 01:34 PM
you take the 33rd ave exit of 380, and take 33rd avenue towards bowling street. you'll turn right onto J Street and follow it about halfway down the hill.. it's the first right, I think the street is called Classic Car Ct? I'm not sure, but you'll turn at Cantebury Kitchens, which is right on the corner of J St and the street that Duffy's is on.

JacobS
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
drove by it today! looks nice!

Stutz
03-07-2008, 02:16 AM
What about installing gears and a spool? Next fall/winter i may need a cage too, but im taking it one step at a time.

DustinsDuster
03-07-2008, 07:06 AM
if they wont do that, i'd suggest going to Sadler's in CR. ive heard nothing but good things about them.

GMPARTSMAN
03-08-2008, 07:22 PM
anyone know if they are going to have set hours?? that was the bad thing about mike @ lints you never really knew when he was there..yea you could call his cell and maybe get something but set hours that everyone knows is the way to go even if its not alot just so its the same all the time..

DustinsDuster
03-08-2008, 07:30 PM
i know that Brian quit his job for this business, so i would assume that at least he'll be there semi-regular business hours...

GMPARTSMAN
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
i know people want a life but say even on saturdays if there only there from say 11-2 or 3 thats fine as long as its the same all the time..a couple weeks ago i need some fittings drove to sperrys knowing he was "suppose" to be open till 3 on saturdays i get there at 1:30 and its all locked up..very frustrating...brains new shop will however work great for me as i just live down the street and across hwy 30 so its at least close if they arent there..

allgo
03-08-2008, 07:47 PM
he told me 8 to 8 m-f and till 8-12 on sat. but the good thing is the store number is there cell number so they said they would always try to meet people down there to get them the parts they need when they are not open.

StreetSweeper
03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
i know people want a life but say even on saturdays if there only there from say 11-2 or 3 thats fine as long as its the same all the time..a couple weeks ago i need some fittings drove to sperrys knowing he was "suppose" to be open till 3 on saturdays i get there at 1:30 and its all locked up..very frustrating...brains new shop will however work great for me as i just live down the street and across hwy 30 so its at least close if they arent there..

Well i know for a Fact we were at sperrys from about 11-4 last saturday on the dyno. idk what door you were trying to go in, but maybe next time you should call, thats a local saturday hang out on saturdays for a group of guys!

GMPARTSMAN
03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
that would be the front door and it was locked!! if he is going to be on the dyno and locks the door thats fine but put up a sign saying to go to another door or call this number and someone will let you in..jsut glasd to here there is going to be someplace else beside sperry to spend your money at.hope brian and scott do well

StreetSweeper
03-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Well, next time if it is between about 11:00 and 3:30 on a saturday and the front is locked go to the side door!

GMPARTSMAN
03-09-2008, 06:41 PM
if they at H&W speed shop have what it sounds like they will have there wont be a next time....

OldSkoolRCR
03-09-2008, 07:40 PM
jsut glasd to here there is going to be someplace else beside sperry to spend your money at.hope brian and scott do well

Yes it is good to have somewhere else to go to buy parts, I am very good freinds with Sperry, but in return have bought alot from Lint, to bad to see him close. And as for Brian and Scott, I wish them the best of luck in there new business, they both had good jobs before and took a chance on a Shop, I think everyone should consider them and check them out for there parts, Wonder if there filling N20? :supz:

DustinsDuster
03-09-2008, 09:34 PM
i believe Scott said earlier in the thread that they would have a nitrous filling station.

with my new job, i might just have enough money to have them build my car, or at least help me with parts. i have decent welding and fabrication skills, but i would rather trust some of the more important stuff to people with more expirience.

69gt4speed
03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I saw Brian there yesterday, ordered some tires, those forever backorder ones, every camaro and stang street guy wants. You listening Cooper tires? Hire a couple mo ppl, buy some new molds.. Zee needs some too.. The better rain runners. Stop on down Zee give him some business. See the nova too. I could have ordered summit etc. Brian's a good guy imo.
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/imag ... dial_b.jpg (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/images/products/et_street_radial_b.jpg)

ZEE
03-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I'll have to stop sometime and check out the tire prices. Been savin for that 9 inch though.

69gt4speed
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
It was around summit price in the 315's. Same lead time. You would think cooper dist here would have more available.

96-eclipse-gst
03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't even know these guys, but if I NEEDED something they offered and had the choice of sperry or them. FUCK sperry, I will go straight to these guys.

StreetSweeper
03-18-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't even know these guys, but if I NEEDED something they offered and had the choice of sperry or them. FUCK sperry, I will go straight to these guys.

^^^ = WASTED THREAD SPACE! :help:

has nothing to do with topic.. glad we now understand your views with Sperry Engines :baby: .

96-eclipse-gst
03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
George, seriously. Every topic you make or post you create, is a waste of everyones time. Don't judge my posts.

90 notch
03-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Sperry engines "Home of the Bomb".Fuck sperry he deserves it.Steve o[attachment=0:ibhnx9p5]dynamite-and-timer-close-up-~-200255481-001.jpg[/attachment:ibhnx9p5]

snickerlicker
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
George, seriously. Every topic you make or post you create, is a waste of everyones time. Don't judge my posts.

That shit is too funny!!!

allgo
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u83/allgojoe/ThreadSausageLevelMed.jpg

OldSkoolRCR
03-20-2008, 05:41 AM
You guys must have learned how to post pics...lol, Oh and Steve'O usaully I would have some comment to your Sperry post, But whats funny is Havlik and Sperry are good freinds also. But anyway I will have my chance for my comments for you REAL,REAL soon, and it has nothing to do with racing either, good luck...Ed

90 notch
03-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Ed,what goes on between me and sperry is my buisness,none of yours.Don't bring my name up in any of your posts,i thought we had an agreement......Steve o

90 notch
03-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Anyway,good luck brian and scott see ya soon..Steve o

StreetSweeper
03-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Steve-O,

Did you get them headlights yet.. Why dont you stop fucking the dog and make yourself look like the real man that your not.. Jezuz fuck there head lights.

StreetSweeper
03-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Go get your ears trimed elf boy! Christmas will be here soon.

Drifte
03-20-2008, 09:55 AM

Huwhaaat? I was gonna tell you not to waste your time Andrew, but this is too funny! I actually have no idea what hes talking about anymore.

90 notch
03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Headlights are taken care of georgie!I will mother fuck sperry forever,bad karma sucks it's finally coming back to him full circle.Good he deserves every bit of it.......Steve o

black88gt
03-20-2008, 12:18 PM
haha i need some headlights, stevo we should cut a little deal :yawinkle:

OldSkoolRCR
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Headlights are taken care of georgie!I will mother fuck sperry forever,bad karma sucks it's finally coming back to him full circle.Good he deserves every bit of it.......Steve o

Ya know theres always 2 sides to every story, rumor and well maybee the truth? But whats funny is lets look at a few of the MSCA members who run Sperrys motors,or who have had Sperry do the machine work... Jason,Chad,Willie,Joe from (IC),Chade Wade,Chelf,Walsh...Bunting has him building turbo truck motors for his trucks, and the ones he sells to customers, and I am sure there are alot more, Oh and yes even Havlik has had Sperry do work for him. Seems like what atleast 70% of the MSCA, like I said seems your the only one slamming him, shit I know 2 guys from Chitown who have had problems with Fast Times motors and well they just suck it up and move on and Fast Times still does work for them. Did you not have a tranny issue with your car last spring? But you dont slam Lint, and he will still do you and Chris's tranny's correct? Terry Miller was running in the 8s what 4 yrs ago with a Sperry motor SBC in his Red firebird...nobodys prefect, shit happens, now weather it was a Sperry machining problem or bad info as you say, well so be it, But heaven forbid it was not any type of a tunning mishap on your part? And as for the headlight deal, whatever it was, your the adult here, you were pulling that shit because it was George's freind, and the fact Sperry bought the car from Metler, even he has said it. But the person whos name get drug through the mud is Metler your freind I beleve :rolleyes:...Ed

OldSkoolRCR
03-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Ed,what goes on between me and sperry is my buisness,none of yours.Don't bring my name up in any of your posts,i thought we had an agreement......Steve o

I am just stating a few facts, weather I am right or wrong, it should not affect you.^^^

90 notch
03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Your right ed,sperry DID do alot of the msca's motors"DID" is the key word.Everybody got smart and decided they were'nt gonna get fucked over anymore.As far as lint goes that mishap was taken care of,unlike sperry not taken care of anything.Like i said i'm not the only one who feels that way believe me!What are your boys names that go to fast times??Just curious..Anyway if thats the case it's because they know how to build a real motor.....Steve o.[attachment=0:5bv9ich9]Fast times.gif[/attachment:5bv9ich9]

OldSkoolRCR
03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Well Steve if DID is the case, recently when I have been out there, I have seen, Jason,Chad,Brian Chelf, Joe from IC, Chad Wade, spoke to Willie, seen Walsh out there, all within the last few months, One of my buddies from Chi Town is Danny Morgan, he has numorus bikes/cars, 1 of which is a 3rd gen firebird with a Fastimes motor,car was built about 8 years ago, and it still sits in his shop. Honestly who cares, Sperry treats me good, and there are alot of people who do business with him, freinds of yours also...Ed

Drifte
03-20-2008, 05:32 PM
hehe I keep getting lost, trying to decide if were talking about the WEATHER or whether or not something happened.

OldSkoolRCR
03-20-2008, 06:17 PM
hehe I keep getting lost, trying to decide if were talking about the WEATHER or whether or not something happened.

What is the forcast? WEATHER that is :butthead:

Domestic Disturbance
03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I know someone who had a brand new engine built and broke in by sperry, and it grenaded on them, and he wouldn't back it up.

OldSkoolRCR
03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I know someone who had a brand new engine built and broke in by sperry, and it grenaded on them, and he wouldn't back it up.

I call BS, and find that hard to beleve, give me his name. If it was something he did he would stand behind it 150%, Everybody knows somebody till the names are to be dropped.

black88gt
03-20-2008, 06:51 PM

I call BS, and find that hard to beleve, give me his name. If it was something he did he would stand behind it 150%, Everybody knows somebody till the names are to be dropped.

you probably know him ed

Domestic Disturbance
03-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Out of respect I will not bring up his name on here. Many people on here know him. As far as more details thats his business. I have no business with Sperry, nor do I know him, so I'm not just pulling shit out of my ass.

Talon92Fox
03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Well incase anyone wanted a change of subject, my Dad is more than likely gonna have H&W build a badass large cu. small block for his Vega, hopefully soon. He's in the process of getting the fuel cell and roll cage in right now, as well as tubs/wheels/tires/suspension. Some of you guys might actually remember the car, it hasn't been out or had a motor in it since 1986 I believe, it's a green 1972 Vega, he claims it was the first car in Cedar Rapids to be tubbed, but I questioned it. Let me know if you recognize the description.

OldSkoolRCR
03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Well incase anyone wanted a change of subject, my Dad is more than likely gonna have H&W build a badass large cu. small block for his Vega, hopefully soon. He's in the process of getting the fuel cell and roll cage in right now, as well as tubs/wheels/tires/suspension. Some of you guys might actually remember the car, it hasn't been out or had a motor in it since 1986 I believe, it's a green 1972 Vega, he claims it was the first car in Cedar Rapids to be tubbed, but I questioned it. Let me know if you recognize the description.

Dave Weber...I remember the car, and know him from the streets years ago...good guy.

Talon92Fox
03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Yep that'd be him. He owns a shop on Center Point Road called Auto Repair Specialties across from Great Outdoor Traditions.

96-eclipse-gst
03-20-2008, 10:05 PM

George, can you say "Trimspa baby".....

Stg4raddo
03-20-2008, 10:26 PM

Ya know theres always 2 sides to every story, rumor and well maybee the truth? But whats funny is lets look at a few of the MSCA members who run Sperrys motors,or who have had Sperry do the machine work... Jason,Chad,Willie,Joe from (IC),Chade Wade,Chelf,Walsh...Bunting has him building turbo truck motors for his trucks, and the ones he sells to customers, and I am sure there are alot more, Oh and yes even Havlik has had Sperry do work for him. Seems like what atleast 70% of the MSCA, like I said seems your the only one slamming him, shit I know 2 guys from Chitown who have had problems with Fast Times motors and well they just suck it up and move on and Fast Times still does work for them. Did you not have a tranny issue with your car last spring? But you dont slam Lint, and he will still do you and Chris's tranny's correct? Terry Miller was running in the 8s what 4 yrs ago with a Sperry motor SBC in his Red firebird...nobodys prefect, shit happens, now weather it was a Sperry machining problem or bad info as you say, well so be it, But heaven forbid it was not any type of a tunning mishap on your part? And as for the headlight deal, whatever it was, your the adult here, you were pulling that shit because it was George's freind, and the fact Sperry bought the car from Metler, even he has said it. But the person whos name get drug through the mud is Metler your freind I beleve :rolleyes:...Ed

:rolleyes:

StreetSweeper
03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
[quote="96-eclipse-gst":2l0mibg5]George, seriously. Every topic you make or post you create, is a waste of everyones time. Don't judge my posts.

George, can you say "Trimspa baby".....[/quote:2l0mibg5]

No, but i can say i figured you could come up with somthing better then that.

Drifte
03-20-2008, 11:35 PM

hahaha i dont even know if YOU know what your saying anymore! Which probably explains why I dont know what George is saying anymore lol.

oh its been a good night.

Ashley
03-20-2008, 11:59 PM
[quote="96-eclipse-gst":in1azh6e]George, seriously. Every topic you make or post you create, is a waste of everyones time. Don't judge my posts.

George, can you say "Trimspa baby".....

No, but i can say i figured you could come up with somthing better then that.[/quote:in1azh6e]

you're accusing him of coming up with a lame insult, when you came up with elf ears? lol.

OldSkoolRCR
03-21-2008, 05:18 AM

hahaha i dont even know if YOU know what your saying anymore! Which probably explains why I dont know what George is saying anymore lol.

oh its been a good night.

Whats the price of Coffee beans these days? :butthead:

Guch
03-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Just to clear up. I have never had any machine work done at Sperry's. Have no problems, but also have no experience with work they have performed.

snickerlicker
03-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Well I guess that settles that one....

OldSkoolRCR
03-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Just to clear up. I have never had any machine work done at Sperry's. Have no problems, but also have no experience with work they have performed.

My mistake I thought one day when I spoke with you, you said you did.