PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Ford Focus, Zac and Ash's new ride

ZacFields
01-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Picked up a new car today. Traded in Ashley's POS Talon for it. Just couldn't handle how undependable it was. We're going on a 750 mile trip next week to visit my family in Mississippi and we were pretty embarrassed when we realized that neither one of us had a car that we trust to make it there and back.

It's nothing sporty. Its a 2003 Ford Focus with about 56,000 miles on it. Car starts and runs well, doesn't leak anything.... that by itself makes it better than Ashley's old Talon, lol!

Power windows, locks, mirrors, CD/MP3 player, etc etc. Aluminum wheels. Cruise control. All the little bells and whistles I guess.

Here are some pictures:
[attachment=2:35khxaiv]focus1.jpg[/attachment:35khxaiv]
[attachment=1:35khxaiv]focus2.jpg[/attachment:35khxaiv]
[attachment=0:35khxaiv]focus3.jpg[/attachment:35khxaiv]

BTW: The Cavilac is still running like a champ!!!!!! 140,000 miles and counting. No problems :)

Ricky
02-01-2008, 10:17 AM
when u putting a fart can on her?

ZacFields
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
hah, I'm long past those days bro. This car will remain completely untainted.

The thing that kids have to remember when they're "modding out" their cars is the embarrassment of eventually selling it one day. When somebody comes to buy my cavalier (if I ever sold it) I would have to tell them these things:

-The front bumper is smashed because I hit a rabbit on Ely road, but I've got a replacement bumper in my storage room.
-There's no windshield washer tank because we had to remove it to put on the front bumper.
-There's no low-end horn anymore because we had to remove it to put on the front bumper. When you hit the horn, it's extremely high pitched. It's funny if you're just goofing off but embarrassing if you're honking at someone because you're pissed off.
-The sideskirts and the rear bumper are all fiberglass, so they've been chipped and cracked over the years.
-The air conditioner doesn't work.
-All the dash parts have been painted. They looked good when I did it, but now they're chipped, faded, and dust is stuck to it.

That's just a small list of the embarrassing things I would have to tell someone buying my Cavalier. For one thing, there will never be another fiberglass part on any of my cars unless I purchase a car one day only to bring to car shows and not daily-drive.

Good thing i'm not selling the cavalier. That car still runs like a champ. When it's not running good anymore, it's going to the junkyard. I dread the day :(

69gt4speed
02-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Mike has one of those, (Anitas son) very dependable so far gas mileage +, safe to haul the kids around in bad weather. One thing I will tell u do not overheat the transmission if auto, he did it (stuck last yr) still works but shifts 1/2 bad imo. He's pretty impatient imo sometimes.

ZacFields
02-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah I did a lot of research about the Ford Focus before I chose to purchase this one. Out of all the different years of the Focus, so far the 2003 and 2004 has proven to be the most reliable of the bunch.

The 2005-2007 model is very reliable as well, but repair costs double and sometimes triple that of the 2000-2004 models. On Consumer Guide they have the transmission replace cost at over $4,000 for the 2005-2007, compared to about $1,000 on the 2000-2004 models.

The only major flaw I saw about the 2000-2004 Focus from what I researched is that they do have transmission problems often around 75,000 miles. I'll have to check the tranny fluid in mine to make sure it's still red and still thick. Might take it to have the tranny flushed this spring to see if I can prevent a tranny failure.

Thanks for the advice Rob. Good to hear that Anita's son has one and that it has been reliable for him. Hopefully it will be reliable for Ashley and I as well.

ZEE
02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
My brother has a Forcus like that. He likes it. Has had it 3 or 4 years. hasn't had any problems with it.

69gt4speed
02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
My brother has a Forcus like that. He likes it. Has had it 3 or 4 years. hasn't had any problems with it.

:biggrin: I suppose u disowned ur bro too. Btw Zee I helped lil bro and dad build/race a bbc nova and yea it kicked the 69. It should have, had a lot mo race parts, a track car barely streetable. I have no issues w whatever just I know fords a bit more. I have so to speak a nissan now, the villager.

ZacFields
02-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Awesome to hear! The more and more I read about the Ford Focus, the more I realize that we made the right choice. From what people are saying, it's an extremely reliable car.

Performance-wise, it seems to have the same acceleration that Ashley's Talon had (talon was an N/A automatic). It corners very well, and the ride is so much smoother. The weird thing about this car is that you sit up so high in it. It feels like you're driving one of those mini SUV's because the car is so tall. At 6'3 I can sit in the seat and there's a good 4 or 5 inches above my head still. In Ashley's Talon I always had to crouch down so my head wasnt touching the ceiling.

I'm still amazed with this car. The interior is great. Blaupunkt CD player delivers a fantastic sound. Plenty of room. I guess this is why the Ford Focus consistently ranks #1 for value almost every year.

69gt4speed
02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Btw Zac I was kidding w Zee we kid around a bit, somehow that might change if he beats the 03..

DustinsDuster
02-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Awesome to hear! The more and more I read about the Ford Focus, the more I realize that we made the right choice. From what people are saying, it's an extremely reliable car.

Performance-wise, it seems to have the same acceleration that Ashley's Talon had (talon was an N/A automatic). It corners very well, and the ride is so much smoother. The weird thing about this car is that you sit up so high in it. It feels like you're driving one of those mini SUV's because the car is so tall. At 6'3 I can sit in the seat and there's a good 4 or 5 inches above my head still. In Ashley's Talon I always had to crouch down so my head wasnt touching the ceiling.

I'm still amazed with this car. The interior is great. Blaupunkt CD player delivers a fantastic sound. Plenty of room. I guess this is why the Ford Focus consistently ranks #1 for value almost every year.

brown7 works at a rental car place, and he has had nothing but great things to say about the new Focus'. he says they have an excellent chassis as well as drivetrain, and they have less problems than any of the other cars they keep there. good find Zac and Ashley!

ZEE
02-03-2008, 04:35 PM

:biggrin: I suppose u disowned ur bro too. .

I meant he used to be my brother. He used to have a 'Plum Crazy' 71 Challenger R/T when we were younger so he's not all bad. Except he sold it cheap when I wasn't lookin' :banghead:

69gt4speed
02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Naw I luv my lil bro. I gave him lots of sh-t. I sometimes feel bad for a sec. That's ok, I beat his best time of the nova already by +.7 sec and 12 mph w a sbf boat anchor. He had dodges also...

Zac a side note Mike hit a big buck today on passenger side on the chelsea road. The focus has major damage but driveable, Mike is ok but ticked off. :banghead: