PDA

View Full Version : 2008 SuperStock Challengers?

DustinsDuster
01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
that's right; Chrysler is working on producing Super Stock Challengers powered by stroker Hemi crate motors and stripped down compared to stock Challengers. what does this mean? it means you'll be able to walk into a Chrysler Dealer with a single part number, and order a racecar for a specific class you want to run in.

Dodge Challenger “Package” Car Program

Chrysler also announced a new “package” car program starting with the 2009 Dodge Challenger. The program provides parts specifically for racing and would be available directly from the dealership.

The “package” car program represents a significant piece of Mopar history, beginning with the 1968 HEMI Dart and HEMI Barracuda “package” cars that were purpose-built vehicles designed for drag racers running factory-built cars and eventually lead to the development of the NHRA Pro Stock division.

The current package car will be a HEMI-powered Dodge Challenger Drag Racing Package, powered by a competition version of the third-generation HEMI engine. However, the original 1968 “package” cars continue to be so popular that there is a Mopar HEMI Challenge series for them, which is operated in conjunction with NHRA.

Center Line, Mich., Oct 29, 2007 - Next year is the 40th anniversary of the famous 1968 HEMI® Dart and HEMI Barracuda ‘package’ cars. These purpose-built vehicles allowed drag racers to be competitive at the track with a factory-built Dodge or Plymouth drag car. Mopar, Chrysler LLC’s original equipment manufacturer, will announce the launch of a new ‘package’ car program based on
the 2009 Dodge Challenger at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) trade show.

The annual showcase of technology, trends and products representing the $36.7 billion automotive parts and accessories industry, SEMA will be held Oct. 30 – Nov. 2, 2007, at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

The package cars will be equipped with competition-bred versions of the venerable third-generation HEMI engine. A limited number of these HEMI-powered Dodge Challenger Drag Racing packages will be available.
The ’68 package cars present a significant part of Mopar’s history. A watershed moment in drag racing history, they represented a major milestone in the evolution of the second-generation HEMI powerplant. Mopar’s popular HEMI Challenge racing series that is operated in conjunction with the NHRA features these 1968 cars. Modern-day super stock competitors are still building new, ‘clone’ versions of the 1968-specification car that led to the creation of what we know as NHRA pro stock today.

so what do you think? i think its pretty damn awesome personally. i wonder if Ford and Chevy will take a cue from this...

Domestic Disturbance
01-02-2008, 01:20 AM
lets hope so. i know GM has already mentioned an ls7 variant for the camaro. can't hurt to have them stripped down and lighter. they just keep getting bigger. the general would have to pick up on this idea quicker than it has on other things in the past. ford already has some pretty crazy options for mustangs, but still that seems pretty badass

69gt4speed
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
That's awesome news Dustin, I like the idea. Let's hope gm follows suit. I want to see some challengers around along w camaros.

"ford already has some pretty crazy options for mustangs, but still that seems pretty badass"
What does furd have?
http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/competition5.asp for the $$ ppl
http://www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp for the normal ppl

stangvortech
01-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Sounds sweet!

Domestic Disturbance
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
all those options from ford racing is what i was refering to

biohazard
01-02-2008, 03:42 PM
That sounds plain sexy.