PDA

View Full Version : Well, I bought a new car...

Talon92Fox
11-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Bad paint and such, typical for an 18 year old car. New pics below.
'90 Eclipse GS-Turbo 5 speed FWD.
Manual boost controller, boost gauge, turbo-back 2.5" exhaust, K&N air filter, NGK spark plugs, great compression (130-150 range)
More to come, Spring '08

TbTalon94
11-16-2007, 02:49 PM
your i/c piping is so janked up, when your ready for nice 2.5" SS pipes let me know :)

Does your odometer say 21x,xxx? That's A LOT of miles if so.

Drifte
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
glad to see you finally got that boosted dsm you always wanted. Take care of it.
heh, just noticed no recirc and no power steering. If you want stock charge pipe...i know a guy

DustinsDuster
11-16-2007, 03:29 PM
looks a hell of a lot like the Eclipse i picked up. welcome back to the DSM world....

Talon92Fox
11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Give me a couple more weeks Trevor and I'll get ahold of you about that piping. Yes, the car has 213k miles, I was hoping no one would have noticed. :banghead:
I took the recirculating hose off before I found the actual/other blow off valve underneath the piping, I ended up cutting the hose down and plugging it with a 20oz bottle cap, the orange ones add an impressive amount of horsepower. :neener: The past owner took the belt and one bolt off the power steering pump, so I was already used to no PS so I ended up taking out the pump and the reservoir.
Now I just need to decide if I should buy aftermarket parts for it, I've been thinking alot about worst case scenario, if the motor blew during my first run in the Spring, damn.

:help:

Drifte
11-17-2007, 11:46 AM
do all the regular maintanance! I assume you made a loop hose for your steering rack. IF you add a small filter to it it breathes and steers a lot easier. Id say ya know flush the coolant system, oil, trans. Fix any oil leaks, do a timing belt/bs belt and tensioner. With the fwd its a little safer to hit the track, traction is what breaks parts. Actually, dont eve bolt anything. When you have money and wanna buy somethin for it, get on here, or tuners or soemthin. Ask what people think you should do for a first step. And check out my post in the dsm section.

ZacFields
11-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Actually it's nice to see a DSM with 213k miles. Gives me hope for Ashley's DSM :)

Looks good fox.

Zac

Talon92Fox
11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I've never driven a car with no power steering before and I'm pretty much used to it and it doesn't bother me any, and Mike had told me that it's harder to steer a car that has had the PS taken out, over a car that never came with it. It does have a small oil leak coming from the oil pan, I haven't taken a close look at it but the past owner told me that it's from some type of a seal on the oil pan? That will be fun. :Hangman: With the whole traction thing, I'm definitly gonna want to buy a cheap DD for winter after knowing how the car is in the rain, and I haven't dealt with it on ice/snow yet. Trevor had told me to buy three parts if I want to gain a decent amount of hp, being an FPR, fuel pump, and a 2g MAF. He's a trustworthy guy so once I get the money, I'll be in the market for some of those parts, plus more, any other recommendations?

I raced my roommate (Jim, with the gray Grand Prix with Pontiac on the windshield) just for the hell of it, it was only an 1/8 mile if not a little more, I didn't launch during the first race and pulled on him real hard and I was about to his door when we let off. Second race I launched it low, floored it, hit second, and the tires broke loose and wouldn't quit spinning till I let off a little bit, and we tied around the 1/8 mile. The best time his car ran was 15.6 at CFR so I'd guess the Eclipse ran around the 15.2-15.4 range, not bad. :bigthumb:

Haha thanks Zac, I've never heard of a DSM with over 180k miles so I'm just waiting for this motor to give out on me. So far, I'm a big fan of 6 bolt 4g63, this is my first 6 bolt motor.

Drifte
11-20-2007, 03:51 PM
that last talon i sold you had 186k on it dude haha.

TbTalon94
11-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Yea my brothers 90 FWD has like 180 something i do believe. Mielage doesn't mean shit if the car was taken care of decently.

Talon92Fox
11-20-2007, 04:20 PM
:offtopic:

lol.

xwade01
12-20-2007, 01:59 PM
This was my old DSM. It's true the chassis has 213k miles on it. But the motor has around 80-90k on it. Before I got rid of it to Matt in Marion the following was done to the motor:

New Head Gasket
Timing Belt
ARP Head Studs
Freshly Rebuilt Head
New Valves
New Valve Seals
New Valve Train
New 14b Turbo w/ 16g Exhaust Housing
2.5" Downpipe
2.5" Custom No Cat Exhaust
Dual Tip Muffler for OEM look

Also when I ran the car out at CFR it was stock I did run a 15.4 w/ the car. Never did run the car out at the track again after putting the Downpipe and Exhaust on.

Oh and the intercooler piping was like that because I used 2 1g BOV's simply to just vent one to the atmosphere. Did it that way just so I wouldn't have to do everything needed to have one BOV vented to atmosphere. So I did it easy way and used my stock 1G re-circulating, and my 2nd 1G crushed BOV vented to atmosphere. So yeah, I kind of miss my old FWD beast haha.