PDA

View Full Version : 3000GT VR4... not that fast

sLoWnStEaDy
11-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I was driven around in the new caddy (eldorado touring coupe N* powered of course) today and had some guy in a red 5-speed VR4 (early one with flip up headlights) pull up along side me. I was obviously NOT looking to race or anythign even close to that but he decided to screw around with me for a couple minutes anyways. So we end up at ared light (guess what is comeing) and of course i get the good ole "ricer rev". I decided WTF, might as well.... So i turn on the traction control (hopefuly cant hurt the car...?) and sit waiting for this guy to scream by me and let me get a good look at his tail lights.
The light turns green, we both hammer it and both chirp the tires (me cuz of the traction control, him because of AWD i guess) I hit about 30 and look over to see him just about even with me, I hit about 50 and look over and his front bumper is about even with my rear door. I hit aroudn 80 and he is behind me a good 3/4 of a car atleast, i stop when i hit 85+/- then a second or two later he goes flying by me.

Anyways, i always thought those TT models where fast... just curious about the power/weight of those. My car i believe has a slightly under rated 300hp @ 6000RPM and 295ft/tq @ 4400 RPM and weighs right around 4100 pounds (I think like 38XX stock but i have a bunch of stereo stuff, my 175lb self, gas etc...) So that breaks down to around 12.9 HP/weight ratio...

Did he screw up or are they really that slow?

96-eclipse-gst
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I just really wonder if it was a VR4 I saw a white one in the loop of Sears the other day. VR4 sticker and everything. Go out and look a little closer and guess what, definately not a VR4.

NewSpeedSteed
11-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Theres a red 5spd in CR that is a base model... I know its just an LS but the kid thinks its something big and badass.... obviously its not... the base models are slow (around 200hp in a car thats ungodly heavy) so I'm not really surprised that you beat him. Honestly I don't think that VR4s are that common (let alone around here) so I'm willing to bet that it was a lower model styled to look like a VR4. Plus VR4 3000GTs are amazing cars... who would beat a car like that, or at least be that stupid and rev happy?

DustinsDuster
11-15-2007, 11:05 PM
i do know that 3KGT's are damn heavy, like 4,000lbs or damn near. as i understood it, that was their biggest downfall.

by the way, whatever happened to that VR4 kid that was on here from AZ or saomething? he was like 6'4 or something and posted videos of him dunking basketballs and posted pics of somewhat cute girls saying he was nailing them or wheteveR?

VCwannabe or something like that? does anyone else remember him, or am i just ancient?

ZacFields
11-15-2007, 11:22 PM
LOL I don't even remember that.

Was this before I bought the website? I feel like I remember that username, but I don't remember these videos. that's hilarious. Too bad couldn't dig those vids up.

Zac

69gt4speed
11-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Guy at work has/had the stock dodge model t/t awd. He ran around a 14.35 few yrs ago at tristate. He said he was afraid of breaking it. Didn't trent have one of those? I thought he did before the talon. I beat it near as I remember when I first got the 03.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-16-2007, 07:02 AM
I am pretty sure it was a real VR4 as it had a little turbo whistle (npt very loud at all really, could have just had a vacuum leak i guess) I had a 3000GT SL and i was mildly impressed with it, IIRC dont the VR4 only have something like 50HP more than the NAs?

TbTalon94
11-16-2007, 07:38 AM
The VR4's/Stealth TT's are rated at 300hp and 300lbs/torque but I think they are a little under-rated. They are really heavy which like Dustin said is their downfall. They are pretty quick stock, so I'm guessing that the 3kgt you raced wasn't a real VR4 model. The earlier 3000gt's look identical wether they are n/a or tt. I also highly doubt it would chirp it's tires if it was AWD, unless he was launching at like 6,000 which then you'd know lol.

Trent did have a vr4 a long time ago back when he had the F&F shop here in CR. It was painted like an American Flag, don't know if it was fast though.

69gt4speed
11-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks Trevor I thought so, I needed to put lil kill decals on the side of my car I guess. :rolleyes: That's how I met him.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-16-2007, 08:42 AM
I am gonna check the car out later today. I seen him again this morning and seen the area where he works. I figure i will just poke my head under the rear of the car and see if there is a diff. in the back or what... Also the guy is probably around 30 years old or so, douche bag either way....

Oh, and it is NOT the red 3000GT with the ugly ass "truck style" exhaust tips, it looks 100% stock...

lil krumm
11-16-2007, 10:40 AM
i do know that 3KGT's are damn heavy, like 4,000lbs or damn near. as i understood it, that was their biggest downfall.

by the way, whatever happened to that VR4 kid that was on here from AZ or saomething? he was like 6'4 or something and posted videos of him dunking basketballs and posted pics of somewhat cute girls saying he was nailing them or wheteveR?

VCwannabe or something like that? does anyone else remember him, or am i just ancient?

its ok dustin. i remember who your talking about. said his vr4 made somethign like 600whp too, that or it was his brothers that did?? fuck i cant remember that much.

DustinsDuster
11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Zac, dont you have all the old posts archived somehow? we should totally dig up some of his posts for this thread...

Domestic Disturbance
11-16-2007, 03:59 PM
i might know who your talking about. not personally but some friends of mine had a friend in their auto tech class that looked like jesus and owned a red vr4. i think they said he had a few things done to it and thought it was hot stuff. AWD + TT and still in the 14's, thats gotta suck

slobalt
11-16-2007, 04:47 PM
guess the guy thought he had an easy kill. Challk one up for your new caddy....

sLoWnStEaDy
11-16-2007, 05:47 PM
quicky... it is a real VR4 the guy was here on business and is actualy from davenport. Said he talked to trent a while back about having some stuff done but never got around to actualy doing it... Of course he said the car wasnt running good and was still on factory boost (7psi i think he said)

I consider that an accidental "kill"

69gt4speed
11-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Naw a kill is a kill, put a sticker there...Lol.. caddy 1, vr4 0

96-eclipse-gst
11-17-2007, 11:56 AM
The kid I know that works with me and is currently in auto tech. Has a red 3000gt very nice, but its not a vr4.

Stutz
11-28-2007, 12:56 AM
There is a nice looking black one in iowa city, has a fmic and chrome rims.

derek072887
12-07-2007, 09:34 PM
im pretty sure the one in ic is made to look like a vr4 also..... i think he works at pauncheros lol!!! either there or zio johno's

vr4rider
12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey...

I'm the owner of the black vr4...it's a real vr4;) And I don't work at Pancheros:)

I also have a Hellfire, a Savage and a Jato and aother Savage X for sale if you want to buy one:)

The Jato and Savage X are pretty much brand new. The other Savage 25 is older and the Hellfire has been thru 2 gallons of gas.

Thanks,
T

derek072887
12-08-2007, 08:58 PM
how much do u want for the savage X

Stutz
12-09-2007, 07:36 PM
There is a black 300ZX with chrome rims that always parks by poncheros i think thats what u where thinking of.

derek072887
12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
yep that would be my bad!! i figured that out after i posted.lol