PDA

View Full Version : car audio question (capacitor)

sLoWnStEaDy
11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
OK, for christmas i am gettin windows tinted, 22"s, headrest monitors and a Cap.

I need to know what i need for a cap as i have NO clue... The amp is rated at 1600RMS @ 1ohm and was rated at 12V. If i am not completely retarded that means i should get a little more power when running as IIRC the voltage is at 14.4V or so when running. Anyways what do i need for a cap? I have seen 1 farad, 2 farad, 3 farad etc... also different voltages either 16V or 24V is what i am seeing. The ones in particular that i like (based on pretty much looks alone) are 24V DC and come in 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 Farad....

Drifte
11-13-2007, 10:39 AM
what do ya need a cap for?

slow ride
11-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Old school numbers were 1 farad for 1000 watts, etc. Not sure what the fad is now. The more the better, but a cap can never make up for a small alternator. The voltage rating is what the cap is rated up to and the higher the better as if you hit the limit (alt regulator goes out, etc) it could damage the cap and/or possibly explode or at least pop the little pressure release plug.

Your amp making more power at 14.4 vs. 12v is possible, but some amps regulate the power supply more and keep the output the same. It might run cooler though.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
what do ya need a cap for?

I dont know... the guy at Auto Toyz suggested one (knowing i did not plan to buy one from him). Between the big sub amp, speaker amps, monitors etc... I just figured the stock AC Delco battery would dip a bit. I am going to be upgrading the wires (atlernator, starter, grounds) and i will be dropping in an Optima yellow top as well sometime.

ZEE
11-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Even with upgraded wires 200 amp alternator and yellow top battery. My 1000w RMS amp still will dim the lights slightly on powerful base hits at high volumes. Although the larger alternator helped tremendously with the dimming headlights it didn't totally eliminate it. Thinking of a cap also to hopefully get rid of the last little bit. Although I know nothing about them. :roll:

Inferno333
11-13-2007, 07:40 PM
A capacitor isn't going to help with any of the problems they are known for. They actually increase the strain on your electrical system.

You are better off buying an better battery and doing the "Big 3." What that consists of is upgrading your battery ground, block to chassis ground, and the power wire from your alternator to the battery.

That will actually make a difference.

69gt4speed
12-16-2007, 11:40 AM
A cap stores energy its mostly good for intermittant power draws, however after it discharges it has to be recharged. On like constant hi power it probably won't help. I could show you on my scope. What I have seen that works fair is a 2nd small battery right by the amp. Really what that does is cut wiring r losses. You might say it is equal to many farads of capacitance using a 2nd battery. Hopefully u turn ur amp down to allow it all to charge back up. Hope that makes sense. A scope would tell you if it did any good by looking at the power feed voltage.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
A cap stores energy its mostly good for intermittant power draws, however after it discharges it has to be recharged. On like constant hi power it probably won't help. I could show you on my scope. What I have seen that works fair is a 2nd small battery right by the amp. Really what that does is cut wiring r losses. You might say it is equal to many farads of capacitance using a 2nd battery. Hopefully u turn ur amp down to allow it all to charge back up. Hope that makes sense. A scope would tell you if it did any good by looking at the power feed voltage.

yeah, little over my head there...
I ended up getting a 6 farad cap, cost just as much as a 3 farad so i figure WTH...

Ricky
12-18-2007, 11:08 AM
charge it up, then short it out using your fingers. :)

Drifte
12-18-2007, 01:42 PM
"Big 3." What that consists of is upgrading your battery ground, block to chassis ground, and the power wire from your alternator to the battery.

That will actually make a difference.

Exactly. and the small battery in back with the amps works great. Im not a fan of caps.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, i talked about the "big 3" in my other post a little while back. That is getting done when the new system goes in the car late january or so. I am also upgrading to an Optima yellow top and will probably be running a Stinger SPV20 or a Kinetik HC600 in the trunk.

Stutz
12-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Cap = waste of money imo