PDA

View Full Version : My tranny blew.....again!

TbTalon94
11-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Well it happened to me again. This time I wasn't racing, and I wasn't even beating the car. I haven't even beat the car since the last time the tranny broke on me. So any DSM guys...should I just throw a new gear in it and put it back in, or should I just pick up a used tranny and take my chances on that. Reason I want to just throw a new gear on is because it's only $90 from TRE and the tranny has all new synchros, bearings, 3-4 slider, and other crap as you can see. Here is a nice picture to show the damage. You can see on the lower gear where one tooth is completely gone and the other is about 3/4 of the way gone. Lovely.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/IMG_1942.jpg

Dsm's love me

Luminatorz34
11-12-2007, 01:31 PM
trevor,
ok, this is 2 blow outs on this tranny, if this happened to me, id be considering something else by now..your blowing gears apart, and think, in motion those chunks of gears and shit are just shrapnel to the cases or bearings and shit. i would be worried about that every time i drove it, if i knew the thing blew apart twice. it has to be blowing apart for a reason. i dunno, maybe you could replace that gear and itll be perfect, but you never know. id be inspecting every single surface in that tranny, for any signs of damage

ZacFields
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Rotten luck Trevor. Damn DSMs.

Hopefully you can just switch the gear out and everything will be fine. I don't even want to know what another tranny will cost even if it's used. I know Ashley's old GMC truck needed a new tranny back in the day and it was $900 just for a used tranny.

If you need an extra hand (to hand you tools or something, lol) on Tuesdays or Thursdays just give me a call.

Zac

slow ride
11-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Call me later tonight and I'll get you squared away.

Sent you a PM

DustinsDuster
11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Shep tranny....

Scott
11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
automatic with trans brake

belittle
11-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Shep tranny....
:)

Zach,

To buy a BRAND NEW "the works" Shep trans put me back about 3.5k.

Slow ride also pointed out that the broken gear isn't 2nd gear but the input shaft on the trans.

DustinsDuster
11-13-2007, 11:51 AM
my name's Dustin...

Ricky
11-13-2007, 11:58 AM
hahaha i wondered what was going on. ^

Trev that sucks a lot. hopefully you get this bug worked out

belittle
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
my name's Dustin...

Smiley face was too you Dustin.

The rest was to Zac about how much a transmission cost ;)

TbTalon94
11-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Shep tranny is out of the question, I've already spent $1,000 getting it rebuilt the first time. I have agreed that it is the Input shaft, and not 2nd gear. A costly shaft if purchased new.

SO if any of you DSM guys have an awd tranny laying around that you could yank the input shaft out for me...that'd be great :)

slow ride
11-13-2007, 03:00 PM
I think I found some parts, but triple check every gear surface you can see so nothing is overlooked. Use a flashlight and if need be wipe the gear teeth down to get a good view. I did have the parts you need, but sold my bin full of DSM stuff a while back :?

TbTalon94
11-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Let me know if you found the parts. I can look over everything I can get to, i can't get below the gear-sets because I can't take them out. Otherwise I will look over everything really good. Thanks Ed.

-Trevor

Drifte
11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
my name's Dustin...

Little's from ottumwa, ya gotta give those guys some time. Everythings a little slower down their... except cars I'll give em that :butthead:

slow ride
11-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I guess I should have been more clear. I use to have the parts myself, but sold them. I have found the input shaft from someone and I'm just waiting to make sure that you only need the input shaft as this person has a bunch of stuff.

TbTalon94
11-14-2007, 07:13 AM
I've been told that you need the input shaft and the matching 1st gear. Might want to see If i need the bearings too.

TbTalon94
11-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Any luck Ed? I'm waiting for Belittle to get back to me to see if he has one, otherwise Trent said he can get me one but I'm wanting to get it a little cheaper then what he wants since it's used and I already dished out 1,000 for the tranny rebuild in the first place.