PDA

View Full Version : My Engine Blew...

96-eclipse-gst
11-11-2007, 09:54 AM
So last night I pick up my fiancee and we start to head out to my cousins for his baby shower. Im on Highway 13 heading towards Mt. Vernon and BOOM, backfire, oil pressure gauge comes on. I pop it in neutral and shut the car down. Pull of to the side of the road. I get out and open the hood. Everything looks ok, not oil all over my engine, nothing. I pry up the upper timing belt cover and low and behold. I slip my finger behind the timing belt and slowly start to pull her out....So either the belt broke, tensioner broke, im not sure. I have to pull her apart today and see what went wrong. Maybe this is my excuse to build up a motor. Just sucks that I was getting ready to buy dsmlink, my best mod so far.

belittle
11-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Fack man.

Time to throw a 6 bolt in it and a 5 speed swap!

96-eclipse-gst
11-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Ok so here is the update. Today, Trevor (my cousin, TbTalon94) and I pulled the head off my eclipse. As we are tearing stuff down and pulling it apart. We keep finding small stuff here and there to fix. We get the head and bam, what do you know. The headgasket had been leaking. I always had wondered why I lost a little bit of coolant and oil. Trevor and I always suspected it, but there was never a good time to take the head off and find out until now. Continuing on, we take a look at the valves and wow are they fucking bent. Just about everyone. So, we spend some more time just removing emissions bullcrap. Take out my A/C and condenser. Phew a few pounds lighter and more arm room incase I ever need to replace the knock sensor. I now feel alot better, the evap canister is gone, gonna block the egr valve and have almost no vacuum lines (in return less chances of boost leaks) and now my final few things I'd like to do. Get a new tranny cooler and mount it in the passenger fender. Would need less hose than running all the way across the bottom to the driver's side and I would be able to install my Transmision Temperature gauge. Also I want to buy like a dozen bottles of engine degreaser and use a high pressure washer to get all the years of oil and grime off everything in my engine bay. Those of you who know me, know what I'm talking about. So it looks like my timing belt breaking, turned out to be a good thing.

New parts will include:
ARP head studs
MLS headgasket
water pump
other gaskets galore

get this all taken care of, get dsmlink and I should have a smooth running dsm.

CROWN
11-18-2007, 04:25 PM
and going to get head rebuilt? or what? you said you bent some valves lol. That sucks though. Still better then when i first bought my car with 90,100,120,120 compression then after a 9k reb 20/100/120/120 compression and valves bent, guides broken, pistons had gouges in them

96-eclipse-gst
11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Trevor had a head he pulled off his 2g talon he has right now and he swapped a different one on. I took that in to D&R Engines and they are going to give me a call on monday.

CROWN
11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
fancy fancy