PDA

View Full Version : Hackers: A never-ending struggle.

ZacFields
11-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey everyone,

As you've noticed, the forum style has changed once again. There was a hacking attempt on IAF this morning, but luckily nothing that wasn't easily handled.

I've upgraded our software to the latest and most secure version, but unfortunately our old style hasn't been upgraded to be compatible with the latest version yet so I found a style that was similar.

Don't get used to it...because i'm going to be changing it again soon. This was just the first style I found.

Zac

ZacFields
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
In addition, I realize that the topics aren't shown on the index page anymore. I'm working on getting that modification added back on. But I've got to go to work. I'll see if I can get it working when I get home at midnight.

Zac

Drifte
11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
i noticed this morning it was messed up. I assumed it was a hacker. I kinda like this style layout, really clean looking imo.

ZacFields
11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
The only thing I really don't like about this one is that the box that has the "View New Posts" link is at the bottom of the forum screen. I can change that pretty quick, but I'll work on it tonight.

I was kinda starting to like the whole user information/avatar stuff being on the right side, also. Now that We've had it that way for a while and now its back to the way it was, I realize how much more sense it makes to have that stuff on the other side.

And I guess I shouldn't use the term "hackers" because anyone who "hacks" into a PHPBB forum is not a real hacker....but rather what they call a "Script Kiddie." They find exploits on the internet that have been found by people who are actually knowlegable about hacking and they just copy what those people did to someone who has the same version of software.

Real hackers hack into things that actually matter... like e-commerce websites with credit card information, etc. Script Kiddies just think it's funny to exploit a lazy webmaster who hasn't had the time to update his code.

Luckily the script kiddies that got us this morning didn't know what they were doing. Tried getting my password through brute force which is stupid because you only get 3 tries before the forum security prevents the account from being attempted again. Brute Force is a system that just randomly tries to guess a password over and over and over until they get it right. Doesn't exactly work when there's a 3-try limit.

Better luck next time script kiddies. Took me all of about 45 seconds to fix it this time. Run back to your little bat-cave and try to find some better exploits :-)

Zac

Drifte
11-05-2007, 12:58 PM
yea, but i just cant get over how clean the threads look. So easy to read right now.

TbTalon94
11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I like the layout, except it's shrunk down. If it was full screen it would be great.

DustinsDuster
11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Johnny Lee Miller is gonna get kicked in the teeth if he doesnt knock it off...

black88gt
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I like it a lot. nice to have avatars back on the left. w/ the old style i would read things then either not remember who wrote them or i would assume it was someone else writing w/o checking and then ended up being wrong.

lil krumm
11-05-2007, 10:56 PM
The only thing I really don't like about this one is that the box that has the "View New Posts" link is at the bottom of the forum screen. I can change that pretty quick, but I'll work on it tonight.

Zac

no shit. when i got on i was pissed. i about didnt scroll down cause im getting to be THAT lazy.

DragonUSMC
11-06-2007, 06:24 AM
heh the "just for right now template" seems pretty sharp and clean. ALOT easier on the eyes then the other one for some reason.

Malibu
11-06-2007, 08:05 AM
If you decide to keep the layout and need some help moving things around let me know, I know a thing or 2 about PHP.

Aaron

ZacFields
11-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Well I guess we can keep this layout if you guys would like. lol.

The good thing about this layout is that it was created by a friend of mine from back when I was a developer for our old forum software. He was one of my co-developers and he actually has his own phpbb portal called "Icy Phoenix" which is the software that I was going to use for IAF until I changed my mind and decided to go with a plain jane phpbb.

Thanks Aaron, I probably won't need help movin' stuff around, but its good to know I have a resource in the future if I need it. Once again, Trevor's family is always helping me out with something :) Not sure how i'd function without all ya'll. haha. Andrew's been fixing my car for dirt cheap, Trevor's always offering free advice on the talon, and you know php. Kick ass!

I'm going to be really busy today, so I don't know when I'll be taking care of some of the small things that need to get done on this style, but I'll hopefully get to it today. I've got to fill out some enrollment form thingy for college :)

Zac

ZacFields
11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
bhhahahhaha I just thought of something.

Has anyone seen the movie "The Core" ? ??

I should have put like size 20 text scrolling across the screen after I fixed the site yesterday that said "Your Kung-Fu is NOT strong" with a little picture of that little scrawny computer kid from that movie.

I crack myself up

Zac

DustinsDuster
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
DJ Qualls. damn i hate that i know that off the top of my head....

NewSpeedSteed
11-07-2007, 10:08 PM
bhhahahhaha I just thought of something.

Has anyone seen the movie "The Core" ? ??

I should have put like size 20 text scrolling across the screen after I fixed the site yesterday that said "Your Kung-Fu is NOT strong" with a little picture of that little scrawny computer kid from that movie.

I crack myself up

Zac

How about: You'll Never Shut down the Real NAPSTER!! (Taken from The Italian Job (2003)

ZacFields
11-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Hit again this morning. They're injecting the same code into the same file. Again, I'm just thankful they're AMATEURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still can't fathom what the point would be of even wasting your time hacking IAF. There's nothing here to steal.....like credit cards, financial information, etc. Find a flipping ecommerce site and quite wasting time trying to hack this one. Especially if you suck at it.

Zac

Drifte
11-08-2007, 02:27 PM
ha newb hackers. lil bitches, kinda lil craper i wanna meet in person.