PDA

View Full Version : Another calimed by the tint law

warchild145
10-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Well got busted for tint. Meter said 27% passed through and the law is 70% so i'm a little dark. Now my question is do they keep track of how many tickets they give you for tint like speeding tickets? Because the tint is not coming off, it helps protect the interior of my car and its getting put away now anyway and if they dont keep track then I'll keep paying since I have had the car for probably almost 2 years and just now got stopped by a new deputy.

I know their are a couple tint violators like myself out there and if you have a little experience and wouldnt mind throwing in your 2 cents I would appreciate it.

Heres a current pic of the tint and I didnt think it was that dark myself.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c339/mach158/camaro/HPIM0365.jpg

slobalt
10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
70% wow, thats a tight.tolerance, I'm glad I didn't tint my windows in Texas it's only 25%.

DustinsDuster
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
i dont think theres enough "real" crime around Iowa, so they made up all these laws that are easy to break so the cops actually have something to do around here.

just my point of view...

SLVR7
10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
They don't keep track. However the same officer may be on the lookout for you though. I have 5% on my car, and only have problems with state troopers.

ZacFields
10-30-2007, 07:17 PM
70% is essentially no tint at all. Wasn't it you Dustin that almost got ticketed by the cops once because your bare flipping window tested below 70% on your Duster at a street race once?

I love how all these stupid laws get passed that honestly have no real purpose (realistically) other than taking the fun out of modding a car. Noisy exhaust... I can kinda understand. Underglow=Completely useless because it doesn't hurt anyone. Tint=Completely useless because again, doesn't hurt anyone.

I'm perfectly allowed to wear sunglasses in my car any time of day with 5% tinted lenses, and the visor on my motorcycle helmet is tinted at 25% silver mirrored tint. But can't put tint on my car that shields my eyes from the sun, keeps the interior of my car cooler, and protects my interior from sun damage.

stupid stupid stupid laws.

BTW: I drove my car for almost 4 years with tint on it with no problems, but within 2 months of starting my job in downtown Cedar Rapids I got my first ticket. Decided to just go ahead and remove the tint.

I don't think they keep track of the fact that it was a tint ticket. My record says "defective equipment" which could be a wide variety of things.

Zac

warchild145
10-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Well I can see the tint as an issue for officer safety, which is why I always roll my window down and if night turn on my interior lighting.

I was even going 40 in a 30 mph zone which shocked me when he came to the car and said tint.

I wasnt sure on them keeping track since it goes through the district court but I am sure I will see the "new" deputy around. Never had a problem before with any of them but I know most of the guys who patrol from ambulance calls.

Oh well just $80 poorer and the car is in the garage.

96-eclipse-gst
10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
They actually do keep track. Now on your record, I have one that shows Defective Equipment, Windshield/Windows. Another for Tint blah blah something. Then some just say Defective Equipment, but in there computers they can see a subtitle. Sometimes though, they dont pay attention to that. They just skim through for speeding tickets and shit worse than that.

DustinsDuster
10-30-2007, 10:28 PM
70% is essentially no tint at all. Wasn't it you Dustin that almost got ticketed by the cops once because your bare flipping window tested below 70% on your Duster at a street race once?

im not sure if they wanted to give me a ticket, but they did test my factory untouched glass for tint. i mean, god damn, it was pitch black and they could see through my side window directly into my back seat. whats funny is they didnt say a thing about my tires, my exhaust, or my car overheating while standing in line because i didnt have a heater to turn on to help cool it down. they ended up letting me go, but even still, i couldnt believe they actually tested me for tint. oh well, its all in the past.

amoander
10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
I see how tint could affect officers safety, but on the same note do you see cop cars with tint, Yes, how does that makes us citizens safer. It doesn't! Your interior of you car is your personal space and having tint helps protect you rights by not allowing as easy of probable cause for search. If a cop "thinks" he sees something through you window he can search you car. Easy as that. You can't see through daker tints. Get my drift. If i cop keeps shining his light into my back seat i always ask what they are looking for and that they have no need to be looking back there so aggresivly. By the way if you a cops asks you to move something in the car (ex. a coat in the back seat) and you do so you have just consented to search by action for the officer. FYI

Ashley
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
i think tint would probably okay to move the percentage lower and still have the officers be perfectly safe.

the searching thing doesnt really apply to me.. i guess i never have anything in my car i shouldn't.. lol.

96-eclipse-gst
10-31-2007, 04:47 PM
I've never had anything bad in my car at all. But I was handcuffed and put in the back of a cop car while 3 cops tore my car apart. (Opened the glovebox, looked at my pda, took out plastic trim panels, everything) didnt find anything and then just left it. Didn't put it back together. I put it all back together, went home, got bitched out by my parents cuz it was after 12:30 and I had that intermediate licnese thing at the time. Told them what happened and they wanted to call the police and yell, but there was no point. I have been harassed quite a bit. My only two speeding tickets are in the most crap 87 olds calais with custom rust spots. Never had a speeding ticket in my eclipse. Just tint, license plate, and a warning on the exhaust.

Drifte
10-31-2007, 05:04 PM
^ thats stupid.

i understand we COULD be waving guns, smokin weed and plotting to drive by on the popo...but honestly how much does that happen in iowa? maybe once...ever. All the losers ruin for people. Remember that kid, that couldnt be quiet so we could go to recess, so recess was only 15minz...well thats the kid thats made it so we have to have all these ridiculous laws!!

should just pass a drug test and have no criminal record to get tint....than I could save my interiors from melting and rippling and the thief's eyes.

TbTalon94
11-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I got my windows tinted because it got hot as hell in the summer in there, just sitting there baking in the sun...and I even park under a tree! I haven't been bothered by many cops but the route I take to work isn't exactly a "crime" area. I mean driving into where I live the cops are probably there to visit their mom or grandparents. I've driven right past cops several times and they haven't given me a second look. I also don't drive like an idiot, my car isn't flashy, and I try to keep it fairly low on the sound. I don't have a loud stereo, so I don't see any reason why I should be pulled over just for wanting to be comfortable in my own car. I can understand the cops being a little cautious about tint because someone could hide a gun then roll down the window and bam. Well who doesn't roll down their window when they get pulled over!? I'm sayin if the person doesn't immediatly roll down their window when they get pulled over then they've obviously got something up their sleeve so the cop should be prepared...unless it was raining or something.

I think most of the time when people get pulled over for tint it's for a few reasons: the light hits it a certain way and looks darker then it really is, the cop is on a power trip, cop doesn't have anything to do, or the car looks suspicious anyway. I just keep to doing the speed-limit and minding my own business, the cops don't really bother me which is how it should be. *knock on wood*

Ricky
11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
im thinking about some tint on the WRX come summer but i dont want a freaking ticket. that law is gay and should be changed. i dont like sweeting in my car when all im moving is one foot and a hand. im not asking for NO tint law but if they would just allow even 35% more people would go 35% because they would be ok. i feel some people go 5% because a tint ticket is a tint ticket.

another thing, so cops have only been shot from the front windows? nothing ever comes through the back or side windows? but those can be blacked out completely if you wish. wtf? they just want to see the drive so they can profile.

tylers88
11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
It's funny that this is brought up because it reminded me of 2 things a state trooper handing my step dad a razor blade telling him to have fun taking both layers of 5%, which together were 3%, off and 3 years ago in drivers ed I asked about this and they said it is for "officer saftey" so they can see if the driver has a gun, if i have 2.5% tint on the back window of my pickup i could hide a gun under window level and shoot them as they got to the window, so if that is the case they should say tint on all side windows is ok and no tint on the back. I think you can go to your local eye doctor and get a note saying your eyes are sensitive to sun light, NO DUH, and be able to legaly have 35%, we should start a petition stating all the benifits of having tint to even 30%, with a 4 or 5% leanense for fading, i've been to texas and florida there summers are only 10-15* warmer than ours, 100* is fucking hot were ever your are.

CROWN
11-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I got a tint ticket with my plate ticket as well. Showed 26% on the lil device they had. then the lazy ass made me get out of my car and sit in his car while he prints out the tickets. Can they make you get out of the car?

logans dad
11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I got a tint ticket with my plate ticket as well. Showed 26% on the lil device they had. then the lazy ass made me get out of my car and sit in his car while he prints out the tickets. Can they make you get out of the car?

Best thing is to do what ever they say and not get pissy with them.

When I get pulled over I roll down the window and put both hands on the steering wheel when they come up to the car. :cop:

I put one of those windshield sun blocks up in my car when Im not driving it and its hot out.