PDA

View Full Version : For Apples Question on Monte's

Caleb
09-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Looking at getting a 1987 Monte Carlo SS here soon and I was wondering what you were running for exhaust. But before you ask, I'm going to be dropping my 355 into it and scraping my firebird project ( too much money and not worth putting it into the car with people breaking shit on it ). But yeah any thoughts for what exhaust to run?

DustinsDuster
09-30-2007, 05:55 PM
if i remember right, hes running a tubular tranny crossmember that has notches to run true dual exhaust. i also believe he's still running tri-y headers into basic 2 1/2" Denny's muffler bent exhaust, stops at the axle with turn downs. i believe he has Flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

if i talk to him, i'll tell him to get on here.

Malibu
10-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Caleb if you need any help with that new g-body car let me know since my Malibu is one too. You can notch the Trans cross member pretty easy if you don't want to spent the money on a new one. It seems to have worked out pretty well on the three cars i have done it on. Headers aren't a problem on these cars a lot of people make them. If you want to go all the way to the back bumper with pipes you will probably not be able to go with much more the 2 maybe 2 1/4 inch pipes do to the lack of room up over the axle. Hopefully you get the Monte, look forward to more g-body people around.

Aaron

Caleb
10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah the car is a White, T-top's (leaky right side from what I was told by the old owner ), full leather ( perfect except for a small cig burn in the driver side) , passenger door wont open from the outside and a couple of dings in the body. Supposed possible leak coming from the oil pan gasket but if the engine is being taken out, wont matter. But other than that the car is really straight and this dealership is asking 5k for it. 66k miles on it. I'm hesitant because the p.o.s. I drive now has a leaky windshield seal and I can't stand water getting in the car when raining. Well see though. I know I can get it , but I'm thinking if I did, id have it sheltered and worked on till next spring.

Malibu
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Doesn't sounds to bad, $6k seems a little pricey for it though. Make sure you check the bottoms of the doors and the back frame rails to make sure that they are not rusty, that seems to be the place they rust the most. Every Monte I have been in with T Tops leak, it seems like the seals get pretty rotted, more then likely due to the fact that they are directly exposed to the sun all the time. As a side note I don't know what you are planning on doing for a trans after you put that new 355 in there but if you are keeping the 2004r you definitely want to get it rebuilt.

Aaron

DustinsDuster
10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
this dealership is asking 5k for it. 66k miles on it.

i would offer them $3,000 cash. also, make sure you pull the t-tops and inspect the metal around them. if the weatherstripping is leaking, its probably rotted under there. $6k for a bone stock 87 seems rediculous to me. it doesnt help its at a stealership....

Stutz
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
In williamsburg there is a nice white monte ss, not a dent on it, no rust, its really really nice i think only 24,000 miles but he wants like $12k!! for it.

Caleb
10-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Meh after a talk with Micah at this point I kind of got off track and realized i bought a radiator for a 82-92 F-Body and other stuff so I guess switching to a G body would be a waste of money at this point. I think I'm going to stick with A 82-92 Firebird ( not my own ) find one with no rust and a straight body with decent interior. If I have to go out of state to get it so be it. I just want a damn car thats requires little to no real major work. Main stuff like engine/transmission/rear-end swaps aren't a huge issue with me. But its the little tedious shit that gets to me.

DustinsDuster
10-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Meh after a talk with Micah at this point I kind of got off track and realized i bought a radiator for a 82-92 F-Body and other stuff so I guess switching to a G body would be a waste of money at this point. I think I'm going to stick with A 82-92 Firebird ( not my own ) find one with no rust and a straight body with decent interior. If I have to go out of state to get it so be it. I just want a damn car thats requires little to no real major work. Main stuff like engine/transmission/rear-end swaps aren't a huge issue with me. But its the little tedious shit that gets to me.

my friend steve (who was going to do the bodywork to your car) was telling me a while back that his aunt's neighbor had a 3rd gen Firebird that was a clean V6 car that he was trying to sell relatively cheap. i'll see if he knows anymore about it.

Caleb
10-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I still Owe him $20 bucks, anytime I ever see him again, hes getting it.