PDA

View Full Version : so i got another job

Drifte
09-24-2007, 08:09 AM
the UNI Northern Iowan Newspaper just offered me a job today for newspaper production. So now i get to squeeze that into my schedule now too! Probably wont see anyone for a long time now ha. my current schedule is pretty crazy too with work, free lance, school, and internship. But I'll make it work

peace

JustinS
09-24-2007, 08:40 AM
What's your major?

Drifte
09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
graphic communication, minoring in business and computer science.

DustinsDuster
09-24-2007, 04:00 PM
congratulations Colton. and you even find time to make us new logos for the site. you da man.

Drifte
09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
down side is its design oriented, as in artistic work, and its salary based. So i have to learn how to make stuff look good and fast!

RandomHero
09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
not see anyone anymore? ill see your ass everyday after December. HAHAHA :neener:

Ricky
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
salary is nice untill they make u work 10 hours and come in on saturdays with the same pay. but congrats on your job. We are all finaly making money for the toys we always talked about...

DustinsDuster
09-25-2007, 12:01 AM
salary is nice untill they make u work 10 hours and come in on saturdays with the same pay. but congrats on your job. We are all finaly making money for the toys we always talked about...

bah. now that you're 21, you're all thinking you have a life and everything now. screw that Rick, you're working...

TbTalon94
09-25-2007, 07:47 AM
so even less time for us friends of yours that won't be living with you. So sad...so sad.

Congrats :yawinkle:

Drifte
09-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Im trying to get it so I have weekends off, but my manager at Advance Auto called me this morning saying how he couldnt use me if thats all I worked. So hopefully I get some time off one of these weekends. I just picked up Iowa Electrathon and Mini Solar Sprints to design logos, and new banners for, that should be fun I think.

lil krumm
09-26-2007, 08:36 PM
so even less time for us friends of yours that won't be living with you. So sad...so sad.

Congrats :yawinkle:

friends??? what about family? i still havent seen his new place. i have been waiting for him to have a weekend off and be staying up there so that i can come up.

Ricky
09-27-2007, 10:11 AM
dido

DustinsDuster
09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
i think you mean ditto. Dido is that brittish girl singer.....

Drifte
09-27-2007, 09:21 PM
haha Dido (die-doh) hilarious. yea rick cant spell, its his life curse.

im tryin to get my boss to cut my hours down to 25hrs max at advance. He's not complying at all, but im down to 30hrs. Ill just not show up on time and leave early, since im scheduled half way in class and half way into my other job. whatever, want money gotta do it, right.

plus the discount is nice :)

later

ZacFields
09-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Congratulations Colton!

Yeah everyone's going out and getting jobs now. I think it's great that everyone from our group of friends back in high school is doing what it takes to make things happen. Colton's on his way up, Eric got an awesome job, Matt B is going back to school, I'm working on my bachelor's in finance and working my way into management where I work in the process, Matt Stro is probably done with school by now I think (haven't heard from him in a while).

Everyone's making it happen. That's great! I do think all you guys need to get ahold of me at some point when it comes to things such as investments, financing, etc. I'm going to school for that and I love entertaining questions about finances. If you aren't knowlegable about that kind of stuff, get ahold of me and I will answer any questions you have. Everyone needs to be thinking about things like 401k or a Roth IRA right now above all else. If you contribute 5% of your income starting right now (at the raw ages of 20-22) into a good 401k you could have more than $300,000 available to you when you retire. Start contributing 10% and you could easily have more than a million, even if you never make more than $35,000/year.

I'll probably get bored and write another finance article on here sometime too, just to get your gears turning. But honestly, congratulations to all of you. Get your priorities in order now and you will have an amazing retirement to look forward to, hopefully without too much stress and worry during your working years!

Zac

Ricky
09-28-2007, 11:06 AM
yeah on my 401k im putting in 15% right now cuz i dont need all that money and it saves me 900 dollars from taxes cuz it puts me in a lower tax bracket.

ZacFields
09-28-2007, 11:16 AM
smart move, Rick. and i'm sure your company probably matches at least up to 5% of that so you get free money there too. You'de be a fool not to at least do whatever percentage that your company is willing to match. If you don't do 401k at all, then you're just leaving money on the table that your company is willing to give you. If you think about it, they're rewarding you for rewarding yourself...it's a sweet deal.

If you still find yourself with some extra money, you could also start a Roth IRA which is another form of retirement savings, and deferring a small percentage of your income into a Roth IRA beginning now could also give you another $300-$500,000 when you retire.

Plus for budgeting purposes, if you're able to defer a good percentage of your income towards retirement now, you could always ease up on it later if you run into some sort of economic hardship. Say you're deferring $250/month to your 401k and $150/month to your Roth IRA, and your car broke down and you needed to finance a new one. Even though it's not exactly the best way to ease a personal economic crisis like that, you do have $400/month worth of retirement savings that you could temporarily tune down to $100 or so until you get back on your feet.

Zac

ZEE
09-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I've got 25% going into my retirement (maximum allowed by the government). That's put in by the company on top of my gross wage, not out of it. I Don't pay medical insurance either. Damn the Union for giving me these great benefits. :bigthumb:

DustinsDuster
09-28-2007, 06:45 PM
its actually looking like i am going to be going to another job as well. pretty much doing exactly what i do now, but making $2-$4 more an hour. i got the offer from a close family friend, and apparently theyre even thinking about putting me on salary. i am pretty damn excited; i'll keep you guys posted.

congrats again to everybody on the new jobs

Drifte
09-28-2007, 11:23 PM
good stuff. All I was emplying her tho is I have another job. Im making no more money a month than I did before. Its just resume material :(

RandomHero
10-01-2007, 05:53 AM
I've got 25% going into my retirement (maximum allowed by the government). That's put in by the company on top of my gross wage, not out of it. I Don't pay medical insurance either. Damn the Union for giving me these great benefits. :bigthumb:

where do you work?

TbTalon94
10-01-2007, 07:09 AM
I practically have another job also, that I'm not getting payed for but is taking up almost 100% of my free-time and costing me WAY to much in gas and other stuff. I've basically got another job that's costing me money. :mad:

Hopefully it pays off in the end.

Drifte
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
i know all about those jobs, you don't get payed for, that usually cost you money. Sometimes called internships, or volunteer work. In your case its referred to as business start up costs.

lil krumm
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I practically have another job also, that I'm not getting payed for but is taking up almost 100% of my free-time and costing me WAY to much in gas and other stuff. I've basically got another job that's costing me money. :mad:

Hopefully it pays off in the end.

i got the same deal. and if i want to go that route as a future career it will pay off. otherwise its pretty much another hobby....

ZEE
10-01-2007, 08:45 PM

where do you work?

Work for a contractor that does work for Alliant. I build power lines. Why, looking for a job? Pay's well with good bennys. I run a crew.