PDA

View Full Version : The "Mortgage Crisis" and how to NOT be a victim

ZacFields
09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I've got to vent about this, because I've been talking to a lot of friends at work about this and I hate how the media turns something like this into such a big deal, when in this case knowlege is most definitely power. I know there are a lot of kids on this site that are my age or younger and may be thinking about purchasing a house in the not-so-distant future (BlackVR6, since you're in a nice job situation now you should definitely listen to this).

Purchasing your own home is a part of the American dream. When you own your very own home, not only are you building equity which you can use towards the purchase of a better home down the road, but currently every dime of the mortgage interest that you pay is TAX DEDUCTIBLE. The average mortgage owner in America claims approximately $7,500 worth of mortgage interest yearly, and coupled with all other deductions and the income tax you pay, you should get the majority of that money back in your tax return. In fact, in your first year, the IRS allows you to also claim the closing costs (points) that you paid. The moral of this part of the story is buy your house in January-March, and NOT in October like I did. That way you have almost a full year of mortgage interest and also your closing costs that you can deduct in your taxes. So in short, DO buy your own home and if you're planning to do it then buy it soon while the interest rates are decent and it is most definitely a "buyer's market" right now.

To avoid having any difficulty with the "Mortgage Crisis" I have one and only one piece of advice for you and I guarantee you 100% that you will never have to worry about all this media jargon that you're seeing on TV about all the foreclosures. Here is that piece of advice:

"Stay away from the A.R.M. mortgage." Avoid it at all costs. When you purchase a home, NEVER purchase a home based on the income you think you'll have within 5 years, and never get an Adjustable Rate Mortgage. ARM's are the biggest ripoff to the average homeowner. They offer you a "teaser rate" sometimes around 3 or 4% for the first one or five years, and then after that they're allowed to raise the rates on you based on what the FED's interest rate is. This could cause your monthly mortgage rate to rise from, say, $1,000 up to perhaps $1,500 or even more in some cases, and as long as the rate is climbing, your mortgage is just going to get more expensive from there.

When you purchase a home, choose a reputable BANK for your mortgage. Don't click on some internet ad that says they will make your $200,000 mortgage payment $1,000/month and don't respond to any outrageous offers that you might get in your email or on the phone. The rule of thumb with mortgages is that "if it sounds too good to be true, it most definitely is!" For a prime example, view this article on CNN Money:

Caught in a Toxic Mortgage (http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/12/real_estate/surprising_face_of_foreclosure_Olivers/index.htm?postversion=2007091711)

Last but not least: Purchase a home with a fixed mortgage, and make SURE that you can afford it on the amount of income you have right now. You should put 20% down if you can afford it to avoid PMI insurance (~$50/month added to your mortgage), and the general rule of thumb is that your mortgage payment (principle, interest, taxes, etc...the amount you pay every month to your bank) should not exceed 30% of your monthly household income.

Remember, banks will give you money as long as they think you can afford it. However, they are very bad about letting you over-extend yourself because they know most people's first priority is to pay the mortgage, even if they have to skip out on paying other bills to do so.

Here are a few quick reminders about "unexpected expenses" that you should think about when deciding how much you can spend on a home:
-Cars break down: Do you have enough extra to afford 2 car payments? (one for you and your spouse)
-Central Air Unit breakdown: Average cost to replace is $2,500-$4,000 and may not be financeable, can you have that money available?
-Appliances (Fridge, washer, dryer): Can you afford to finance an expensive appliance if needed?
-Medical Expenses: Hospital visits can actually cost up to $10,000 AFTER insurance. Firstly, do you have medical insurance? And if not, can you afford to possibly finance upwards of $15,000 or more for an expensive operation?
-School Loans: When you're done with school, will there be jobs available to you that will allow you to afford another $250/month in student loan payments? The grace period for a FAFSA loan is 6 months after you're no longer a full time student.
-Are you an energy waster?: My electric bill in July was $215 for a 2 bedroom condo approximately 1,200 sq feet.

With mortgages, knowlege is power. If you think about all these things before you get a mortgage, then you have nothing to worry about. And you never will have anything to worry about. If you get a fixed-rate mortgage, it will never increase any significant amount (unless your county just starts to kill you with higher taxes) and you will always have the comfort of knowing how much your home will cost you every month. Keep the variable bills down (utilities) and you will be fine.

Nobody should be scared to get a mortgage. The media right now is ruining our housing market because people think that if they get a mortgage that it's going to be hell for them and they'll get foreclosed on. I guarantee if you read this article and follow the rules then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Any other questions let me know. There's more information to know, but this is the basic stuff.

Zac

Inferno333
09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for posting that Zac. My girlfriend and I are looking at buying a house soon.

Ricky
09-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah a house is quite aways away cuz im making sure that i have a lot of money saved up before i jump into something that big. im planing on staying in the parents basement. but that was a good read and has a lot of good info. if i have questions ill will be contacting you zac

ZacFields
09-18-2007, 11:34 PM
No problem guys. Finance isn't only my major, it's kinda my hobby as well. America has a nasty habit of turning small problems into big problems. I tend to usually blame the media for that. Yeah there are a lot of people out there getting foreclosed on right now, but the media is failing to keep in the public eye that it was poor decisions that are causing all these foreclosures. It's not as if people don't have a choice in whether or not they put themselves in a position to get foreclosed on.

That's not to say that if you get a fixed-rate mortgage, that you'll never get foreclosed on. There's so many variable things such as cars breaking down, an illness causing you to not be able to work for a while, etc, that can screw up your financial situation.

Eric: I think you're smart for staying with your parents until you have enough money saved up. I love the fact that I'm 22 and already building equity, but honestly life was so much more stress-free when I was with my parents. I was putting $300-$500 away WEEKLY into savings, and I could probably have 20k or more saved up by now if I had just stayed there. Ashley and I live very comfortable here now, but as it is with anyone with a mortgage we have to watch our spending and such, which is not the funnest thing in the world.

JustinS
09-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Seriously though, all those idiots who got an adjustable rate mortgage that thought they were brilliant for doing so are complete and utter morons. Even a person with a high school level of math should have been able to figure out that it was a terrible decision. The stupidity of people in this country amaze me when it comes to their financial decisions.

Man, I am feeling extra cynical today for some reason.

slobalt
09-19-2007, 12:42 PM
It's hard to believe the media hype of the housing market here because it has not affected this area. Where I came from the market and circumstances were quite different. Its very nice and peaceful around here almost shelterd from the rest of the world. It's all a matter of perspective.

melhoneybee
09-19-2007, 01:47 PM
I do love the fact that I own my own place too. All in all the pro weigh out the cons. I'm sure that Zac and Ashley can agree with that. But I've been in my condo for 2 1/2 years now.. and have no plans on moving any time soon!!!

Domestic Disturbance
09-20-2007, 03:16 AM
my mom works in the loan/mortgage industry, and i know right now its looking worse than it ever has. everything has almost come to a complete stop nation wide. it sucks

TbTalon94
09-20-2007, 07:30 AM
I just turned 21 and I've owned my house for a year and 3months. Best decision of my life to purchase the house. No doubt about it. Even though I was racking in all kinds of money living in a little appartment paying $350/rent and minimal bills. Having a house will make you watch the money you spend and makes you get your priorities straight (not that mine weren't).

Also for first time buyers that haven't really established solid credit, but have lived on their own (appartments/etc.) and have had bills in their name...you DO have credit. Your loan officer can get "payment history" reports from any bill you have payed and it will in-tern basically give you credit. I was 19 when I applied for my loan, and I did not have a co-signer. I had been living on my own since i was 17 though and had a few years of payment histories built up. I used those and was able to get enough credit to be approved for the home loan. That felt good let me tell you.

Another thing to factor in when buying a home is upkeep. Your going to need a lawn mower, weed whacker, rake, etc. etc. Then you've got to keep your gutters clean, do any work that the house needs, make sure things don't leak, etc. etc. Owning a house takes a lot of work but it's very much worth it. Not only are you gaining equity but you gain a lot more experience when it comes to financial options and home owner-ship. You've just got to make sure your ready and follow the steps. It's not all that hard.

-Trevor

ZacFields
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
my mom works in the loan/mortgage industry, and i know right now its looking worse than it ever has. everything has almost come to a complete stop nation wide. it sucks

Yeah, but the biggest problem lies with people who have gotten themselves stuck in a situation that they cannot afford, usually due to these ARM mortgages. So they're desperately trying to sell their homes because they need to be sold ASAP and so they're taking huge losses to do it. The problem with that is that now when other people in their neighborhood want to sell their homes, buyers are able to see that this guy sold his home for so cheap, and they expect to get that price for all similar homes in the area. So it's driving the prices of homes down.

Now if you want a non-expert opinion from a non-economist such as myself: This housing crunch is one of the best things to ever happen to America's economy. I hate to say something like that because people are losing their jobs and etc... and trust me I feel for those people. But once this is over, America will be much more educated about how to purchase a home, and so a crisis like this is so much less likely to happen in the future. This will probably be a problem for at least another year or two, but afterwards the housing market is going to come back strong with a lot more educated homebuyers purchasing their homes and staying in them.

The best thing you can do right now if you have an affordable mortgage: Don't plan to sell your home for at least 3 years. The way I see it, that's about how long its going to take before this thing gets figured out and is back on track. In addition, if you can stay living in your home for 5-7 more years at least, the future looks very bright for you. If you think of the economics behind this, the housing market will see a huge surge once this crisis blows over and housing costs are going to skyrocket within the next 5-10 years.

Take that to the bank.

Zac

Zac

slobalt
09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry to say but people will not learn from this. Just look back to the 80's when a similar thing happend. Intrest rates rose and people lost homes

Whats that old saying about history repeating itself??

DustinsDuster
09-20-2007, 04:45 PM

ummmm, that history repeats itself?

i am sorry, im a smartass and i cannot help myself...

ZacFields
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Sorry to say but people will not learn from this. Just look back to the 80's when a similar thing happend. Intrest rates rose and people lost homes

Well now I never said it would "never" happen again. I just said that in 5-10 years this will be fresh in everyone's minds and the housing market is going to be strong... possibly strong as ever. People definitely will learn from this... but you're talking about a mortgage crisis that happened some 25 years ago, and there's a whole different crop of homebuyers here in 2007 that either weren't alive at the time or were way too young to care.

Zac

slobalt
09-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Your right about that, as it is with all markets there are peaks and valleys. While they are hard to predict, the warning signs are found by looking in the past.