PDA

View Full Version : 37k mi the stock clutch is poo poo

69gt4speed
09-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Well it lasted that long anyway. 2/3, 3/4, it won't hold period. Now I don't go powershifting much it's bad on the tranny etc. After Jeff (97 cobra) told me about his clutch maybe I'll do that. I hate a racing clutch in traffic period. Either that or a dual spec organic. But that is lots of $$. I want to do a chrome moly tob sleeve and 26 spline input shaft. So there u have it, 550+ ft lbs did it in. I guess I am pretty happy it lasted that long.

NewSpeedSteed
09-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Sorry the stocker finally gave out on you, but like you said it did last a long time. If you don't want to spend alot of money but get a good (but a little stiffer than stock) clutch check out SPEC stage 3 clutches. Stage 1-2 aren't as stiff as the 3rd stage but stage 2 maxes out at 530ft/lb tq. So yes you need something more capable and the SPEC 3 is good for 695ft/lbs tq. Price wise there the most decent at $341.99 and http://www.americanmuscle.com is offering free shipping so thats a great deal.

If your still not satisfied you could go with Centerforce clutches they are alot stiffer than stock and even a spec clutch in my opinion but can hold 1000-1200hp. At a much bigger price of course. They run around $800-$1000.

I know you said that you didn't want to spend alot of money on a setup but if your able to check out RAM clutches they offer high capacity clutches 1500hp and 900+ft/lb tq. The bad news is the price, $1229.95. Plus there is RAM Throwout bearing and RAM Pilot Bearing, Bushings which add on another 40 bucks to the already high price tag.

On a side note do all SVT clutches suck? I know your making more hp/tq than factory so I'll give you credit there but I know alot of people have to replace the stock clutch in their SVT Focuses around 20k-40k miles. Granted comparing a Cobra to a Focus is stupid and not really possible but there both SVT produced vehicles.
Oh before I forget, glad to see you last night even though the weather was a little cold. Did you ever find 93 octane gas?

69gt4speed
09-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Jeff is running a spec 2+ 635# capacity, kevlar carbon. The new spec twin appears better so far, less plate chatter noises compared to other twins. But it's new. dual spec organic is 900# capacity. Way overkill. These stock cobra 03 clutches are good for a stocker, much hd pp than the mach. Like I said I hate getting into metallic, a guy like me can't launch good on the street. You gotta slip it a lil. The other is a ram powergrip hd+ again metallic on one side.

On a side note anyone can tear a clutch out pronto, I tend to do good but I beat it pretty hard, heavy car, lots of tq = clutch wear. If they had room a 12" would be better it's all about area. Otherwise gotta go twins or metallic.

ZEE
09-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I like my RAM clutch. It's heavier in the clutch pedal than the others. Have the 980 disc which is organic on one side and metallic on the other. It's a good compromise. Chatters a little when rpm's aren't high enough.

Domestic Disturbance
09-16-2007, 04:15 AM
still on the stock clutch here. my car is ready for a new one as well, but my wallet is not.

69gt4speed
09-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Well most say the 2+ won't hold so that's out. I really didn't want to shell out lots of $$ for a street car. Can't recoup clutches. So either a spec 3+ or ram powergrip hd.

NewSpeedSteed
09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Well most say the 2+ won't hold so that's out. I really didn't want to shell out lots of $$ for a street car. Can't recoup clutches. So either a spec 3+ or ram powergrip hd.

I vote Ram just because it gives you some room to grow (more than the SPEC clutches allow) seeing how if you want to add the KB Blowzilla kit or whatever you feel like down the road the clutch will still be up to the task. Just trying to keep you from having the same dilemma down the road :yawinkle:.

slow ride
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I've got a 3+ in the vette. It's a little new so I'm still breaking it in. The longer I drive it the smoother it gets. It was a little jerky at first, but it's getting much better over time (I only have 250 miles on it). In a vette it's rated at 850 ft lbs.

69gt4speed
09-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Slow ride do you have the low pedal requirement option? extra $35 for 28% less effort, clamp pressure suppose to be same. 3+ Mustang 11" version is rated 800# tq.

amoander
09-17-2007, 11:59 PM
I say twin disk Rob, you rich old fart lol. =-)

69gt4speed
09-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Don't u want me to try it out? U will need a new clutch soon. at 470 lot less than 1300. I plan on getting that 26 spline input, shims, 4340 tob sleeve and a fidanza alum.

slow ride
09-18-2007, 03:22 PM
No, mine is just a plain jane 3+. It's replacing a texterila(sp?) that the pressure plae almost came apart on.

69gt4speed
09-18-2007, 11:00 PM
thanks slow ride, impressive vette u have.

fbodyguy
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I've got a 3+ in the vette. It's a little new so I'm still breaking it in. The longer I drive it the smoother it gets. It was a little jerky at first, but it's getting much better over time (I only have 250 miles on it). In a vette it's rated at 850 ft lbs.

Jerky he says... I have the Spec Stage 3, dual sided ceramic with an aluminum flywheel. Jump in some time and I will show you a studder that will knock out your fillings :) j/k

69gt4speed
09-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Damn Tony thought u were going to say 3+. I heard that on the 3's. I'll let u know about 3+ w lpr option.

On another note that guy got his gt 500 and his dad drove it in. He said it chatters a bit. But he never has drove a stick in yrs and then a stocker. Told him get more mi as its got 600 hiway miles. He doesn't know anything really except to get the kid to agree to have him store/drive it till nov.

fbodyguy
09-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Got the clutch off on of the camaro boards, for a very good price with a new ceramic disk, w/ the spec pressure plate. I only had to buy the aluminum flywheel insert (replacement) and get it balanced when I had the motor built.
I think the newest Opti-crap is starting to take a poop... Time for the MSD unit :drool: , there goes 500 out of my pocket for that piece...

amoander
09-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Keep me updated on your plans next weekend. I might also have the car done by then.

fbodyguy
09-30-2007, 08:03 PM
replaced the plugs this weekend... 4 hours later :(
Still didn't fix it and I had school work all day today, looking at my $85 MSD 8.5 wires, next Saturday :Hangman:

ZEE
09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Are you sure it's not the Opti??

fbodyguy
09-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Not at this point, but I'm working my way up the line, ignition and coil, wires (passenger side sucks!) and then the Opti, and if it is, here comes the MSD Opti 83811. $450-500 for that piece.... Plugs were 46 bucks for the AC Delco #8 platinium's

69gt4speed
10-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Sorry to hear that Tony, I did get all the parts in the mail, hopefully by the weekend I'll have it broke in. I'll take a day off and drive through town all day. Like I said a lpr pp, the 3+ disc, alum flywheel, 26 spline and 4340 dry coated tob sleeve. We need to get together one mo time before winter. Do some better pics etc.

69gt4speed
10-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Update, the clutch disc, p/p, input shaft, flywheel, and tob sleeve is installed. Along with a tob bearing and input shaft bearing. It needs a break in though first impressions are like this. I killed it 2 times coming off a light, it is hard to feel when the clutch engages. It's on or off and it chatters a bit in reverse. i can squawk the tires in 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd pretty easy. Going from 50# to say 30# it's hard to say what my launches will do.

amoander
10-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Rob, i like the clutch, little all or none. Not bad though for how high the torque rating is on it. Car is done, but i need to break the motor in with 500+miles before full throttle tuning and spray. So it will be a week b4 any racing.

69gt4speed
10-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Good news then on ur car... I'd be easy on it a bit also till it wears in a bit. Some say to pressure the rings a bit w some low rpm wot in higher gears. Change the oil right away and hope for the best. I worked late , got the alt in it was 45 min out and 40 min in. A diode plate and bearings and my g tech pro comp works again on the 03. So I got a shift light again. It must of blew one in aug or so then another the other day while u were using the dv camera.

amoander
10-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Bad news, cars not going anywhere to till Mon. Long story