PDA

View Full Version : alright DSM guys, need some help

DustinsDuster
09-04-2007, 07:32 PM
my truck (Ram50) started making some loud clicking noises the other day that changed with RPM. i finally popped th hood with the engine running and noticed the crank pulley was wobbline A LOT. i pulled everything, and when i got the timing cover, i found the balance shaft tension pulley exploded in the timing cover, sending bits of metal and bearings alll through the timing cover.

have any of you ever seen these fail like this? my biggest question is if you think a 4G63 uses the same tensioner, or if i will have to hunt down a carb'd 2.0L ram 50 motor?

here's some pics of the damage:

Drifte
09-04-2007, 07:36 PM
it happens. advance should be able to order or have the pulley for you. sucks, just remember to retime your bs.

Luminatorz34
09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
looks to me that your motor has the same holes as the 4g63 timing tensioner....id give it a shot dustin

DustinsDuster
09-04-2007, 09:55 PM
i didnt get a chance to dig out my 4G63, but i will do it tomorrow. as long as belts aren't too expensive, i'll hopefully have it running again tomorrow.

TbTalon94
09-05-2007, 07:24 AM
You can always call one of the parts stores and have them check if the part numbers match up for the d50 tensioner and the 4g63. They look close to the same, could be.

DustinsDuster
09-05-2007, 12:13 PM
well, called Oreilly's; the two tensioners are 1 number off. those bastards at Mitsu! they need to take a lesson from Ford and make almost all of their parts interchangable; that would make my life a lot easier.

on the plus side, the tensioner is only $16, and will be here tomorrow, so i guess its not that big of deal.

thanks for all the help guys.

TbTalon94
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
that 1 number off could just mean chassis code lol. It COULD be the same part.

belittle
09-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Does the balance shaft itself spin freely?

I've seen them seize before and take out the belt just like what was done here.

DustinsDuster
09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
eh, in any case, it's $16 for a brand new part; i'll spring for it over the 100+k one off the 4G63 i have.

i am pretty sure i checked everything and it all spun freely, but i will double check it tonight. if the balance shaft is seized, i am gonna have to bite the bullet and do the swap....

TURBOWHT
09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I have my old motor still if you would like it. it didnt have very many miles on it. doesnt have over 90k on it. but it does leak a little oil from the back of the engine somewhere not sure where, let me know if your interested.

DustinsDuster
09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
i might, we'll see. the last thing i want to do is rush the turbo swap. the only problem other than this that i have noticed is it blows some white smoke sometimes, but i would probably change the headgasket before i would replace the whole motor. i'll keep you posted.