PDA

View Full Version : Machine shop

Stg4raddo
08-25-2007, 05:46 PM
im looking for a machine shop to measure out my block to see if i can still run stock pistons or if i need to over size. and then have the block magnafluxed, hot tanked, honed if its decided i can run stock pistons other wise ill tear down my other motor and do that one. i will also need a head rebuilt for my new project.

i had my last motor done at D&R and the work was top notch but it took about a month for me to get my block back. and the total cost was over what we had talked about. other than that i loved working with them but im looking for other options that might give me a faster turn around since im not really needing any major machine work done. I will not work with sperry due to how they have treated me in the past. so if any one has experience with horn, stewerts, etc let me know and this is also on a import 6cyl and some shops dislike working on imports. i need to get this work rolling soon.

6Chevelle7
08-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I would have to say D&R or Sperry's, They seem to be the top two.

Stg4raddo
08-26-2007, 09:23 AM
yea ill be going back to D&R if i don't have any one recommend another shop. turn around might be faster this time of year since hopefully every one is still out racing and not building a motor. id like to get the motor done by October so i can start fabing the rest of the items i will need on the car.

TbTalon94
08-26-2007, 09:55 AM
just tell D&R you are kind of in a hurry. Then they may kick it in gear and not take a year. They did my Head for me in like a day. I like them.

Scott
08-26-2007, 11:00 AM
D+R has a real quick turn around for head work, but when doing machine work on blocks and blue printing stuff Dave is the only one doing it and he doesnt like to rush anything "which is good sometimes" I would recomend either place

DustinsDuster
08-26-2007, 11:19 AM
locally, i dont see much alternative than D&R. they do great work.

i have never had any major engine work done at Stewarts, but they did re-curve the advance on my distriputor for a very reasonable price and it only took a couple days to get it back to me. i have heard lots of good things about them.

bowtiebuba
08-26-2007, 12:20 PM
d&r for the win

Stg4raddo
08-26-2007, 02:12 PM
D+R has a real quick turn around for head work, but when doing machine work on blocks and blue printing stuff Dave is the only one doing it and he doesnt like to rush anything "which is good sometimes" I would recomend either place

yea thats kinda what it seemed like on my last block i had done there. well so much for finding a new shop lol guess ill be giving D&R a call Monday. and finish tearing down my block so i can take it up to them and get shit in motion.

logans dad
08-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Ive seen a lot of D&R engines blow up at Hawkeye downs so you know who I vote for, SPERRY.
Also had a friend that got burnt out of an engine by D&R and money. Dont believe me I can give you the guys name.

Stg4raddo
08-26-2007, 04:02 PM
i will not got to sperry after i stopped in for some prices for my last motor and they pretty much just blew me off so the next day i drove up to D&R and had a good experience. keep in mind sperry is about 5 mins from m house and i would still rather drive to D&r

logans dad
08-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Sperry's is a busy place so you have to give him time.

90 notch
08-26-2007, 04:44 PM
To busy building BOMBS!Sperry engines(powers the weiners!).

black88gt
08-26-2007, 04:50 PM
another vote for D & R

Drifte
08-27-2007, 09:10 AM
I used sperry and had no problems, they seemed to like me or something. id say d&r in your case. or take it out to maqokitas(sp) shop.

DustinsDuster
08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
when i build my next engine, i will be taking it to Mid America Racing Engines in Washington. they've won a couple of Engine Builders Challenges in a mopar mag i have, pretty impressive.

they specialize in Mopars, but i am sure they are more than well equipped to deal with other stuff.
just another option i guess.

krustindumm
08-27-2007, 10:30 AM
another vote for D & R

I have taken engines to both sperry and D&R. Guess which shop did the job correctly.

Never again will I take aluminum blocks or heads to sperry. Fucking hot-tanked them in the wrong chemicals.

6Chevelle7
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
All in all i would say D&R. Davey is one of the best on working on motors, make take awhile but u cant rush perfection

Stg4raddo
08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
im going to give one of the alternate shops a shot and see how it works. and the prices sounded good. its not like im building a crazy v8 its just a stock rebuild and a special head gasket and some fancy bolts. with a snail on it. and if all else fails i have another motor ill build and take it to D&R.