PDA

View Full Version : She's come un-done

DustinsDuster
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
finally got the motor out of my car today despite the 97 degree heat index...took some pics of the progress, the old motor, and the new motor i am going to build. heres some pics:

boxmakingman
08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
She didn't know what she was headed for
And when I found what she was headed for
It was too late

DustinsDuster
08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
hahahaha, that sounds like it should be in a Dirty Vegas video. or a Myspace whores profile. either or.

TbTalon94
08-06-2007, 07:36 AM
man that thing looks like cake-walk to take it out.

DustinsDuster
08-06-2007, 09:02 AM
yeah, i did it all by myself in about 2.5 hours, including a 45 minute break i took to get out of the heat and humidity for a bit. spool style engine mounts help out a lot...

sLoWnStEaDy
08-06-2007, 10:20 AM
you gonna flat black the engine bay while it is out?

DustinsDuster
08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
no, i am going to take every nut and bolt off the car, all glass, strip the car down to bare metal, hang new quarters and rockers, replace rear floor pans, add laser cut floor-contoured subframe connectors, relocate the leafsprings 3" inward, do a slight mini-tub and add a 10pt cage. at least thats my goal to have done by next spring. thats stage 1 of about 3 stages i have thought out so far.

biohazard
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
That's looking nice there Dustin. Nice W2 heads.

Rollin on Dubs
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Jesel offset shaft mouts? Now your budget duster is turing into a race car! :WORSHIP:

Scott
08-06-2007, 04:32 PM
better make time to budget out the 550hp engine, cuz you know thats gonna cost about double what you're thinking.. but that looks nice some parts you got sitting around for it. just gotta make sure whatever you put back in it is the same quality as those.. :drool: not gonna see the poor duster again for about 10years it sounds like..just playing but it could take a while

Scott
08-06-2007, 04:50 PM
yeah I guess with the wider ports of the w-2 you gotta move the pushrods away. hence the offset rockers.. not bad heads, got over 300cfm potential there dustin "like you dont know" now just pick the right converter/trans/gear for that beast and it outta run pretty well

DustinsDuster
08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
id llike to keep the converter in the 3500-3800 range, but it'll really depend on what the cam i end up going with needs. if i could keep somewhere around the 3.91 gears or maybe even 3.73's i would be happy.

as far as the budget goes, i think a lot of the really expensive stuff is taken care of. now all i need is about $1000-$1500 for a good rotating assembly, a full port and polish job, and a few hundred more for the cam and lifters. the car as a whole is going to cost a lot of money, but at least i dont need to spend $2k for the block, another $1k for the heads, $300 for the intake, $1200 for the rockers, ect.

dont worry, i am sure you guys will be seeing it. theres a lot of work that needs done, and i wouldnt mind a helping hand here and there...

slobalt
08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Damn, wish I had the knowledge and patience to build something like that up.

Have fun.

DustinsDuster
08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
already built it once, just getting more serious now. at 19, i replaced the front floors, fabricated subframe connectors and built an engine for it. i just want to go faster now is all, hehehehe.

on a budget
08-08-2007, 02:25 AM
looks and sounds like a plan dustin...you shouldve hit me up and i wouldve lent a hand in helpin u pull your engine out, us mopar guys gotta stay together...btw where'd u get the new engine from?

DustinsDuster
08-08-2007, 06:27 AM
btw where'd u get the new engine from?

my grandparents' circletrack car. its been sitting idle for like 5 years, so they told me i could take the motor and give them money as i get it. they love me, hehehehe

DustinsDuster
08-12-2007, 03:28 PM
and now time for the mayhem. it seems it always has to be good news/bad news with me;

the good news: the shortblock is fine from what i can see, and there were no metal shavings in the oilpan

the bad news: the adjuster bolt on one of my rocker arms pressed completely out of the rocker; that was the problem. i found the adjuster laying in the head, which promply fell into the lifter valley. no big deal though, the heads need to come off anyway.

in the end, i am pretty impressed that theres nothing wrong with the shortblock. its almost completely stock with stock 30 year old bolts holding the main caps down. anyway, here are some pics, i will get more later when Bill uploads them: