PDA

View Full Version : well...

DustinsDuster
07-22-2007, 03:12 PM
well, i raced Rob last night, and something broke in my driveline. we thought it was a cracked flexplate at first, because of the loud knock(sounds like a rod knock, but i dont think its the engine, engine has plenty of oilpressure, and the noice seems to go away when i put it in park). the dilema is what to do. a tranny rebuild or a new converter will be a few hundred dollars each, and i dont see much logic in spending that much money to drive my car for a couple more months and then tear the whole thing apart to redo the whole car.

so what do you guys think? would you shell out $300-$800 just to drive your car for a couple months and probably get kicked off the strip for not having a rollbar? or would you rather just put the money towards the bigger goal of the car?

Inferno333
07-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Put it toward the bigger goal. Always keep the end in sight.

DragonUSMC
07-22-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah bro save it... drive your DD and put the duster away for the winter.

DustinsDuster
07-22-2007, 06:55 PM
i think thats pretty much whats going to happen. either the trans is bad, or i have a bad rod bearing; either way, its not feasible to pay to fix it just to drive for the rest of the summer.

time to tear it down and sell what i am not going to be using for money to buy new stuff for it....

black88gt
07-22-2007, 07:18 PM
are you keeping that transmission? if so then it would be worth it to fix it now, because you'll have to do it eventually anyway

DustinsDuster
07-22-2007, 08:58 PM
i am, but the next build will be MUCH more serious. more serious than i am willing to pay for now. you dont build the roof before the floor.....

69gt4speed
07-22-2007, 11:42 PM
I am, but the next build will be MUCH more serious.

Hell ya for sure, enough to beat any d/d.

On a more serious note once upon a time my lil bro drove my 69 while I was gone. Later he said, oh it has a noise, well it was one spun rod bearing, I had a solid cam and he overspun it. We had no over rev stuff those days. Good oil pressure still 45# at idle, not real loud. I'd get a stethoscope on the oil pan and wherever else to make sure.

DustinsDuster
07-22-2007, 11:53 PM
cant, my start mounts to my transmission and the ring gear is on my converter. couldnt test that without putting it all back together, which i am not going to do.

Rob, i wish i couldve got a clean race with you, i wouldve felt better if the race was at least a little closer. did you ever see the video? was there any? to be completely honest, if i broke loose, let out of it, got back in it and only managed to lose by 4 lengths, i am pretty happy with that. that my friends, is what we call "making lemonade", hehehe

69gt4speed
07-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Well since you are doing it all doesn't matter anyhow, you will find out anyway though I would screen the oil when you drain it and cut the oil filter open.

Video... talk to oldskool, there are headlights/ good sound anyway. He was sitting at finish ur side. U looked a big fast blur.

I got lucky and didn't screw up bad, plain and simple. The car did good, everything worked. I did bump the limiter 2 to 3, I guess that's a screw up. Normally at most 6.2k. Ask me how many clean races I get. I'd say 2 out of 10. Track, street doesn't seem to matter. Ticks me off.

Scott
07-23-2007, 06:53 AM
I would say cut apart the filter "dont use a cutoff wheel, haha" that should tell you more than you probably want to know.. good luck with it Dustin

DustinsDuster
07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
i dont know, the more i think about it, the more i think it might actually be a rod knocking. i hit the recall on the tach and it shot up to like 6800; i have never taken it over 6500 under load before, and never on the spray. its not that big of deal, i was going to take the motor apart when i got it out of the car anyway.

just happened a little sooner than i wanted it to, thats all....

Luminatorz34
07-23-2007, 12:20 PM
it still runs correct? finish it off, and get vids of the carnage!!!!!!!!

DustinsDuster
07-23-2007, 03:13 PM
it still runs correct? finish it off, and get vids of the carnage!!!!!!!!

the tranny is out of it, and i am not going to put it back in just to destroy the motor. i would rather just have the crank polished, replace all the bearings and sell the whole thing to get more money for the build.

anybody know anyone looking for a healthy SB Chrysler motor?