PDA

View Full Version : CRST, Per Mar, Best Buy

sLoWnStEaDy
07-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Well it is time for me to get another job. I have just been working out of my garage and buying/selling on the internet for the last few moths. While that is getting the bills paid it doesnt leave me much extra for my toys and the banks dont really even consider a "self employed" person when it comes to loans (looking to buy a house and get a new D.D.)

Anyways i have had quite a few job offers and the 3 main ones i am considering are Per Mar, CRST and Best Buy. Just wondering if anyone here works/worked at any of those places and has any comments... CRST i would be a Tractor Trailor Techinician (best paying of the 3) but i am afraid i would no longer enjoy working on automobiles if i was "forced" to do it 40-50 hours a week. Plus i would have t otake my tools with me so i wouldnt have much of a selection at my garage unless i wanted to keep hauling them back and forth or buy a ton more tools.
Best Buy i would be an Install Tech which im sure would get kind of redundant but atleast it would be a little different everyday plus i wouldnt have to worry about the tool situation or having to worry about my job ruining my passion for working on cars.
Of course Per Mar i would be a security officer. I aplied there because i have been thinking about becoming a police officer but i know i have some more matureing to do before i am ready to take on that kind of responsibility. I figured the Security position would atleast give me some sort of back ground for the future when/if i do decide to become an officer. If nothing else i couls always just work there part-time on top of whatever other job i get...

DragonUSMC
07-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I’ve done best buy, and the best thing I can say is don’t… its not worth the pennies they pay for the headache they will provide.

Per Mar, is ok but their operations are going to bore you out of your mind. Its not exciting, ever… but it’s the easiest job you’ll ever hate. I’d say try that one, some people like me don’t mind that kind of stuff.

Working on cars for a job… yeah I’ve been scared that if I start working on cars for a living that I would hate it and not want to work on my own ever again.

ZacFields
07-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Well I've been constantly working since I was 16. For 5 years I worked at Quik-Trip as a part time clerk, but was constantly picking up shifts/hours to get myself up to near 40 every week possible.

Right now I work in a call-center environment at a place called URrelay (NOT telemarketing at all) and I've been doing this for over a year now and it's a pretty good gig and I'm actually being considered for promotion right now :::crosses fingers:::.

But here is the best piece of advice I can give you, because if I ever get another job I will be going in this direction: "Find a job that has as little customer interaction as possible." Sure it's not so bad when you're 16-20 years old dealing with customers because you're usually only getting paid 7 or 8 dollars per hour at best and you expect it to suck.

To put it simply, working with customers sucks. There are a high percentage of people out there that think just because you're getting paid to be nice to them, they can test your limits and ridicule you. I have no problem putting a smile on my face but when someone is purposefully trying to test me, it kills me inside not to at least be able to break off the conversation.

So there's my words of wisdom about this. Sounds like the three jobs you've considered so far are right along with my advice. Just remember, you can make 12 or 13 bucks an hour working in a call center, or in retail, etc but if you're anything like me you're going to get sick of dealing with customers. I've almost considered working in a factory because of this.

Zac

JustinS
07-20-2007, 01:42 PM
I love working in retail. Selling items to complete morons is the highlight of my day, lol!

I say go for the highest paying because I am a greedy person, but that's just me.

Stutz
07-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I work in a factory, checking parts all day. I love it!

Ricky
07-20-2007, 05:22 PM
I make boxes cuz its good money. i say do what ever you think you will enjoy the most.