PDA

View Full Version : My First Project...

AllAmericanMuscleChick
07-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Sooo...I need some help on deciding on a project car... it will be my first one and I want something older and domestic... me and my boyfriend were talking about getting a Torino for my first car... he said all it needs is a new carb and it will drive... he said the interior is perfect so all I would really need to do is body stuff... and it just seems like it would be too easy... I want something to completely redo, I want to replace every nut and bolt and really make it my own so I don't know if that's what I'm looking for... I'm on a budget, so I can't get anything too ridiculously out there... any suggestions????

Domestic Disturbance
07-01-2007, 02:31 PM
ya. dont do a torino. get an old fairlane or cutlass u c lots of older 1's 4 sale cheap. sounds like a good plan old cars r always the best

AllAmericanMuscleChick
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
[yeah I was thinkin about a Cutlass... maybe like a 73 or somethin... and I'll look into the Fairlanes too... if I figure anything else out I'll update!!!!

DustinsDuster
07-01-2007, 06:15 PM
[yeah I was thinkin about a Cutlass... maybe like a 73 or somethin... and I'll look into the Fairlanes too... if I figure anything else out I'll update!!!!if youre on a buidget, dont shoot for completely redoing a car off the bat. that is unless you dont mind working on it for a couple years

my advice; find something very solid (or as solid as you can afford) the first time around, fix what needs to be fixed, and just enjoy it for a while. a time may come down the road when you'll decide to redo it, but chances are, if you are on a tight budget, and you buy a car that needs to be completely restored, youre gonna end up tearing it down to the bare shell, letting it sit while you try to raise money for it, let it sit some more because stuff keeps popping up that you need to spend money on, and let it sit more while you start to lose interest because its been so long since youve driven it youve forgotten why you were originally motivated to take on such a huge project, and then you'll end up selling it to someone for a couple hundred bucks in pieces just because you want the space back.

so yeah, like i said, find the most solid car you can afford. anyone can build an engine, but a solid foundation to put it in is another story....

Stutz
07-01-2007, 07:01 PM
^ what he said. Your going to run out of money and then it will sit for a long time, then you will end up spending money on another car or something else just because your project will need so much to get done.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-01-2007, 07:06 PM
edited to make me look not so stupid :bigthumb:

DustinsDuster
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
want an affordable older Ford? heres a good one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-MAVERICK-1970-FORD-MAVERICK_W0QQitemZ130130562024QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6 057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ZEE
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Old cars suck the money right out of you. I tried the old car bit. Spent most of the money and time keeping it in one piece rather than spending it on performance and lookin' good. Lost interest and bought something I didn't have to work at to keep running.

DustinsDuster
07-02-2007, 12:11 AM
bought something I didn't have to work at to keep running.

yeah, that would be nice; but personally, i like having a car that stands out. convertables arent my thing anyway....

Ashley
07-02-2007, 09:25 AM
P.S. i know i dont know you or anything

keith you def. know who she is, lol.

Scott
07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
MUST GET A FORD!! GALAXIE WOULD BE SWEET!!

sLoWnStEaDy
07-02-2007, 10:05 AM
[quote="sLoWnStEaDy";p="129029":8f7fd]P.S. i know i dont know you or anything

keith you def. know who she is, lol.[/quote:8f7fd]

:suspect:
uhm... my babies momma?
That would explain how she knew about the Torino as i was a little more than excited about it, i mean it is "virtually indestructable" :bigthumb:

Ashley
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
haha yah its her :)

sLoWnStEaDy
07-02-2007, 12:28 PM
raise your hand if you feel like a http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/20822/2005045301614310463_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005045301614310463) :HEYYOU:

In that case... The Torino is MINE :bigthumb:
You can have the lumina :yawinkle:
or better yet, just get me the torino and $2000 and you can have the Fiero... (but i still get to drive it) :butthead:

DustinsDuster
07-02-2007, 05:57 PM
torino plus cash for a Fiero? no thanks.....

sLoWnStEaDy
07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
torino plus cash for a Fiero? no thanks.....

theres more to it than just that. The rims on my fiero cost more than the Torino we are looking at. not to mention the brakes, suspension, engien swap, stereo, and all the other stuff i have done to it... Plus she is in love with the fiero...

black88gt
07-03-2007, 10:55 AM
the guy my gf bought a 302 from(for her notch) has a 63 fairlane 500 sport coupe. its got basically all new sheet metal, needs paint. it has a 302 that runs, but not well. interior is all there, just needs paint and a drivetrain. dono if he still has it or not. pm me if you're interested, i'll give you his #

sLoWnStEaDy
07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
sounds nice, but sounds out of the budget for the purchase of the actual vehicle. We are pretty much looking for a decent project that we can do over a matter of a couple years most likely. She wants to learn how to do stuff and I love teaching her as well as learning stuff myself on the way. Going for a muscle car because we pretty much wanna do a frame of restomod. Not going to go crazy and spend like $50K or anything, most likely be refurbishing a lot of stuff and doing some "junkyard" mods. Personaly i cant wait to build the 521!! biggest engine ive messed with to date was a 400. Of course the 521 is just a stroked 460 but still...

Purchase price of the project vehicle would be best around $1k or so...

AllAmericanMuscleChick
07-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Plus she is in love with the fiero...

It's true I am in love with the Fiero.... I totally dig it hardcore, if it would just friggin run the way it was suppose to!!!!!! yeah we want something that's gonna take us a few years... maybe something we could even give to our son when he turns 16... so we've got plenty of time... it's just a matter of what to get and then gettin it.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-03-2007, 01:14 PM
[quote="sLoWnStEaDy";p="129081":fa20d]

Plus she is in love with the fiero...

It's true I am in love with the Fiero.... I totally dig it hardcore, if it would just friggin run the way it was suppose to!!!!!! yeah we want something that's gonna take us a few years... maybe something we could even give to our son when he turns 16... so we've got plenty of time... it's just a matter of what to get and then gettin it.[/quote:fa20d]

Silly girl that boy aint gettin somethin like that for his first car... Espescialy not if he drives anything like his momma. Im not gonna reply any more on here because i dont wanna turn this into a conversation between me and you but i gotta tell you i found some pretty nice houses, one of which is a farm house by Ely on Wright Brothers with a big 'ole yard for the mutts.

DustinsDuster
07-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Going for a muscle car because we pretty much wanna do a frame of restomod.

then you better steer clear of Camaros, Firebirds. Mustangs, Mustang II's, Mavericks and ALL mopars unless you want to build a truck

Domestic Disturbance
07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
sounds nice, but sounds out of the budget for the purchase of the actual vehicle. We are pretty much looking for a decent project that we can do over a matter of a couple years most likely. She wants to learn how to do stuff and I love teaching her as well as learning stuff myself on the way. Going for a muscle car because we pretty much wanna do a frame of restomod. Not going to go crazy and spend like $50K or anything, most likely be refurbishing a lot of stuff and doing some "junkyard" mods. Personaly i cant wait to build the 521!! biggest engine ive messed with to date was a 400. Of course the 521 is just a stroked 460 but still...

Purchase price of the project vehicle would be best around $1k or so...

i think that car black88gt is talkin about it only 2k. great starter if it already has new sheet metal and ford 302 engines r about as budget as u can get