PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade my crx for a 90 Tsi AWD?

dustin_crxsi
06-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Im very unfimillar with anything that has to do with DSM's. But I figuried I might as well give it a shot.

Here are some pics of the car:

http://www.posdsm.com/uploads/images/1/ ... ium%29.JPG (http://www.posdsm.com/uploads/images/1/IMG_3930%20%28Medium%29.JPG)
http://www.posdsm.com/uploads/images/1/ ... 281%29.jpg (http://www.posdsm.com/uploads/images/1/IMG_3940%20%28Medium%29%281%29.jpg)
http://www.posdsm.com/uploads/images/1/ ... 281%29.jpg (http://www.posdsm.com/uploads/images/1/IMG_3936%20%28Medium%29%281%29.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/ ... talon3.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Impact240sx/talon3.jpg)

Here is the details he gave to me

Engine
2.0L 4G63
NGK BPRES7 spark plugs
NGK spark plug wires

Drivetrain
93' Transmission (double synchro 1-2) shifts awesome
4 bolt rear end

Turbo/Intake
TDO5H 14b
3" GM MAS

Electronics
EEPROM ECU
MAF-T v2.02

Misc
Autometer Phantom boost gauge
Pioneer DEH-P4400 Deck

The car is in pretty decent shape, the paint isn't great (typical Mitsu paint Rolling Eyes), and the interior is really really nice. Driver's side power window has a little problem, likes to pop out of the track when rolling it up, jus use your hand to help it up an its not a problem.

The car is a 6/4 bolt combo that is solid as can be. As for exhaust all it has is a 3in cat eliminator downpipe. It's not too loud for me but that's my opinion. Car runs great, has a kill switch that was installed by previous owner. 2 problems tho, needs a new front drivers side wheel bearing, i have a parts car sitting here, so if someone wants to bring the tools to do it, when they come to pick up the car or whatever, they can do it right here no problem and have the whole hub free of charge. I jus ask you put the one u take off on the other car. Also needs a new exhuast mani, this one just devoloped a hairline crack in it and leaks oil down into the spark plug area. These wheels in the pics are no longer on the car either, has similar ones but their silver.

Sound like a good deal?

DustinsDuster
06-19-2007, 06:26 AM
should you get it? well that depends, do you want to go faster than you are now? do you actually want to hook up ever without using M/T slicks? yes? then maybe you should look into getting it.

TbTalon94
06-19-2007, 07:33 AM
K here's a few things you might want to concider.

The car has 150k if that is right. Your GOING to be replacing stuff like ball joints, cv shafts, tie-rod ends, misc. gaskets/seals, clutch, brakes, and probably a whole bunch of random stuff that's cheap but just a pain to change. Any car with 150k will have stuff going out and a modified dsm with 150k (unless well taken care of) will need stuff changed.

Another thing...is he says it needs a new exhaust manifold because it has a crack and leaks oil in the spark plug area. Well that makes no sense. If the valve cover was cracked it would leak oil in the spark plug area. 1g exhaust manifolds DO crack and a replacement is cheap.

It has a maf-t. You can tune with it, but you have to know what your doing. It allows you to run the gm maf and vent your blow off valve to the atmosphere with no ill-effects.

overall your going to be looking at doing general maintenance at the least. the car may run/drive good now but sooner or later small things will start to go wrong that will just annoy you. Welcome to a modified 150k+ car.

On that note....it would be a better car then your crx speed wise. If you want to go faster..then get the dsm.

dustin_crxsi
06-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I was on aim last night talking to the guy. He mentioned he replaced most of the gaskets. the wheel bearing is fixed as well. Ill talk to him about the oil leak.

dustin_crxsi
06-19-2007, 12:36 PM
It was the valve cover that was cracked. He replaced it sence he posted the vehical forsale.

He also said he has no problems with and of the axels, tie rod ends, call joints etc. I dont find it a problem to replace them. My vehical has its problems and is going to cost over $800 to get everything replaced, and fixed.

But what ever goes wrong, Im sure it wont be too much of a hassle to get it replaced.

DragonUSMC
06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
I say when it comes to car decisions... the only one that can make it is you.

You seem to practically be in love with your car now. So yeah its going to cost $800 now... its going to cost $2000 later, and after that probably another $4000

this other car will be the same... its a hobby man, if you are using it for a daily driver then thats another story, but if you are building cars as a hobby then its going to be a sunken cost no matter what your platform.

DustinsDuster
06-19-2007, 04:23 PM
its cheaper and easier to go faster in a DSM as well, the aftermarket seems to be much bigger and the parts seem to be much more plentiful.

DragonUSMC
06-19-2007, 08:35 PM
but if there is more support for after market products wouldn't one spend more money then? You cant replace price with quantity. you end up right where you started.

Besides i still stick to my point of YOUR car, YOUR life, YOUR decision. =)

Drifte
06-19-2007, 08:50 PM
stick to the honda. a 150k dsm isnt the way to jump into the dsm game. trust me.

dustin_crxsi
06-20-2007, 04:42 PM
stick to the honda. a 150k dsm isnt the way to jump into the dsm game. trust me.

I just want something new..Ive been driving honda's sence I was 17. Im turning 21 next week.

Ill be happy running a 12 second 1/4 mile. and 93 octane gas is getting expencive.

logans dad
06-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Sale it and buy mine Dustin.

Stutz
06-20-2007, 05:33 PM
I thought u were pretty set on your honda, i think you should stick to it. Dont get a dsm just b/c everyone else does, get some lower compression pistons and piece together a turbo kit and spin like crazy with your crx

DustinsDuster
06-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Ill be happy running a 12 second 1/4 mile.

so you are going DSM then?

Stutz
06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I thought his all motor honda was already going to run 12s

DustinsDuster
06-20-2007, 09:50 PM
that was kindof the joke, he said he would be happy running 12's, and i said "oh, so you are" going to get a DSM" - as in he's not gonna with the honda..

Drifte
06-20-2007, 11:06 PM
[quote="Drifte";p="128526":43a9f]stick to the honda. a 150k dsm isnt the way to jump into the dsm game. trust me.

I just want something new..Ive been driving honda's sence I was 17. Im turning 21 next week.

Ill be happy running a 12 second 1/4 mile. and 93 octane gas is getting expencive.[/quote:43a9f]

a dsm will require the same high octane gas. Ive been driving dsms since i was 15, and my brothers all had hondas. When mine wasn't running they would laugh, but a lot of time and money later when it would run they would shut their honda mouths. UNless you think your baller status and have life figured out, keep running that cheap to maintain and easy to work on Honda.

StreetSweeper
06-20-2007, 11:33 PM
150k on a dsm, prolly not going to be the smoothest path to take on modding a dsm. But you say you would be happy with 12 sec 1/4 mile times.. Dude you better wake up. cause once you go 12s, then you want 12.00s, then after that its 11.5's then 15k later you want 10.9's, it's a never ending road with a DSM.

DustinsDuster
06-20-2007, 11:53 PM
cause once you go 12s, then you want 12.00s, then after that its 11.5's then 15k later you want 10.9's, it's a never ending road with a DSM.

i think hes still trying to conquer 14's....ahahahahaha

dustin_crxsi
06-21-2007, 04:58 AM
[quote="StreetSweeper";p="128602":830b2] cause once you go 12s, then you want 12.00s, then after that its 11.5's then 15k later you want 10.9's, it's a never ending road with a DSM.

i think hes still trying to conquer 14's....ahahahahaha[/quote:830b2]

hahaha. That was a good one. :bigthumb:

Its going to be my daily untill I buy another motor to build while Im diving around, and not try to cram everything into 1 weekend. Building the DSM is going to be the same for Honda. Im sure everything costs the same internally. rods, cams, valves etc.. But Im not 100% sure. I've been so busy at work I dont have time to even read up on DSM tuning and the right modifications to go with.

A guy I know said the first thing I should do is to beef up the transmission. If this is true that their transmissions are week, Id like to be infromed on this.

TbTalon94
06-21-2007, 07:42 AM
you need to stear clear of people that don't know what they are talking about. A dsm running 12's should have no problems with a decent tranny. Specially a 1g. We are trying to help you out here. DSMs are endless fucking money pits.

The problems is the first parts you buy are pretty cheap. You get in the 12's pretty cheaply...then you want more. All the parts are readily available and not priced to high since there are 15 people making the same thing. Just like George said. You want 12's, then you want 11's before you know it your going for the 3065 record (hehe). It's a never ending game with DSMs and starting out with a 150k one would not be a good idea.

Your already talking about building a motor. Building a DSM is not like a Honda. Specially when you plan to run a big turbo with some decent boost levels. You have to know how to tune, what injectors/pump will be best for your hp goals, what gas to run...and the list goes on.

First and always...there can be cheap, reliable, fast...and you can only have 2. If you buy shitty parts for the dsm...it will be fast for a bit then it WILL break something. It may break something even if you buy quality parts. Expect it. That's what happens when you run 100+hp over the stock levels.

Now on the good side. There are DSM guys here that can help you with anything you'd want to know...including me. I can tune them well...as well as Jesse (redevo). Just prepare to do lot's of reading because people really hate it when the new guys come into the game and ask a billion questions that would take 2 seconds to search and find the answer.

guess it's up to you though :)

-Trevor

Drifte
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
^ and ditto. im saying save us the time and keep your HONDA!!! Also, 1g dsm is never going to handle like a CRX. Go autocross that thing and dominate all.

Domestic Disturbance
06-25-2007, 02:53 AM
ya but... its a honda..

dustin_crxsi
06-25-2007, 03:03 AM
ya but... its a honda..

And what I dont understand is how they (honda's) can build so many different cars with different Drive trains, and come with completly different motors, they put all that time and money in research...but they still manage to make money, and build plants in the US In which all the "domestic" vehicals are made outside of the us for cheeper labor and use the same Engines, and drivetrain in almost all their vehicals...and they still loose money.

Tell me how a "domestic" vehical is better than an Import these days? Because its a 4cyl? lol, this isnt high school anymore son. Grow up.

Domestic Disturbance
06-25-2007, 08:47 AM
haha, honda doesnt make money making fast cars thats 4 sure

wat car has honda made that came out with more horsepower than my car even. nsx's never even broke 300hp. so congrats to having factories here toyota has factories here too, and they arent making any fast cars either. this isnt preschool nemore. go brag about sedan and minivan sales somewhere else

Domestic Disturbance
06-25-2007, 09:39 AM
im not sayin honda doesnt make nice cars cuz they r all rediculously reliable. they make nice cars cept 4 their trucks ew. its just that comparing ur fwd n/a compared to an awd turbo dsm, if ur shooting 4 speed the dsm will b ur best pick. i guess it all depends on wat flips ur trigger. IMO making a fast honda isnt worth the $

96-eclipse-gst
06-25-2007, 03:44 PM
All I have to say is, if you buy that damn car. You better sure as hell read up on EVERYTHING. I have been reading since I was 14 and I think even Trevor was 14 when he started reading. Guess what I'm still learning and HELL even he is still learning about somethings as well. I just would rather not see another DSM turn in to a POS because of someone who just wants to go fast for cheap. Dustin...read up and do it once and do it right. Good Luck in whatever you choose, either way you go, theres still people here willing to help.

dietrying
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey man, I say keep the Honda, the CRX is already an instant classic and it can be fast as well(despite what all the people who can't press the search button on the Honda-tech forum say) - From the pics on the myspace site and here, I would say you got a pretty nice ride. Any money you put into it is well worth it.