PDA

View Full Version : dont drift an RX7

DustinsDuster
06-15-2007, 01:51 PM
i never see many people drifting RX-7's, maybe this is why:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/24286/

ZacFields
06-15-2007, 01:57 PM
lol I saw this the other day. Someone said in the comment section on break.com that he used the wrong thread lugnuts or something and that he didn't know because he didn't put them on by hand.

Zac

JustinS
06-15-2007, 03:13 PM
It wasn't drifting, it was at an SCCA sanctioned autocross event. Notice the lettering on the side of the car; "147 SM 2."

147 is the car number, and SM is the class that he runs in. 2 more than likely is his heat that he was running in.

s13freak
06-15-2007, 04:00 PM
It wasn't drifting, it was at an SCCA sanctioned autocross event. Notice the lettering on the side of the car; "147 SM 2."

147 is the car number, and SM is the class that he runs in. 2 more than likely is his heat that he was running in.

SM2 is a class. 147 is the car number.

tylers88
06-16-2007, 12:15 AM
What ever he was racing for I'd prolly slap him cause thats retared.
I could see the conversation going like this.
"Well I couldn't twist the lug nuts any more."
"Did you use a 4 way or a breaker bar and a socket?"
"No way I spent all my money on my car I used my hand."
SLAP"Your a fucking 'special' person arn't ya!"

JustinS
06-16-2007, 08:52 AM
[quote="JustinS";p="128312":c236f]

SM2 is a class. 147 is the car number.[/quote:c236f]

Ahh yes, SM2 is for the two seaters. Woops.

Hello all,
I was at the event and know the guy who owns the car. (No it wasn't me)
I was in the paddock area next to him changing wheels at the same time as him. I watched him torque all of them. I even borrowed his torque wrench to tighten mine (I always forget something after I get on the road).

He went to a wheel/tire business and asked for spline drive lug nuts for his particular make/model/year car for the Enkeis, and that's what they gave him. He did not purchase the tires or wheels from them, just the lug nuts.

The lug nuts where sheared off the studs. Several members lifted a corner of the car to slide a jack underneath it. With a few more jacks, blocks of wood, etc, they were able to mount the stock wheels and stock lugs nuts (at least 3 per wheel) back on, torque them and drive the car off course. The design of the car, possilbly for aerodynamics, tucks all mechanicals on the underside a little higher than the body line, or lowest part of the brake rotors. Not even the exhaust was really scratched.

I'm not a mechanic, but the mechanics theories there was that the lug nuts where the incorrect size, but they were just small enough to grip the outer edge of the threads (as I mentioned, they torqued to 75-80 ft/lbs without complaint).

Hopefully, the only damage is to the body and brakes

Post from NASIOC with the truth on what happened.