PDA

View Full Version : I think I fixed it for good

TbTalon94
06-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Well if any of you know of the dreaded transfer case leak on AWD dsm's then you will feel my agony. I have dropped the t-case about 5 times in the past week trying to figure out what's leaking and diagnose the problem. I ended up replaced both seals and it still leaked (hoping it wasn't what i thought). There is a recall on the yoke on the drive shaft that connects to the t-case. They machine the yoke out and the stamp a plug in the back of it. Well overtime and years of road grim, etc., the thing starts to leak. There are a few "quick" fixes that people do to post pone the problem but it almost always comes back.

One temporary fix is to clean out the inside of the yoke/splines then fill the bottom of it with RTV and install the t-case with no fluid in it. Let it completely cure then fill the t-case and hope it doesn't leak. I didn't like this idea because 1 it's messy, b it can still leak, 3 it's messy, and d it's retarded.

Another temporary fix is to clean the back of the plug (between the u-joint) very well then apply JB-Weld around the plug and let it harden. Then re-install everything and hope it doesn't leak. This is what I was going to do but we all know JB-weld doesn't last forever, and it being exposed to the weather/road grim/etc. would cause it to gradually wither away and eventually leak. Well I didn't want this of course soo..

I took drastic measures. I thought how could i fix this shit so it doesn't ever have a chance of leaking again. Then I got the idea. I've never heard of anyone doing this before or haven't seen anyone do it. I don't see why not anyway. I guess people think it's just easier to buy a new yoke and replace it. I just didn't want to chance it. So I did this:

here is the yoke
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/yolk.jpg

and here is my "seal"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/yokeweld.jpg

let me know what you think.

-Trevor

tylers88
06-15-2007, 09:06 AM
dont have a dsm but i dont see that leaking if it does your cars gotta have other problems at that point

DustinsDuster
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
whatever works man. doesnt matter much what it looks like, no one is going to see it anyway.

if it does your cars gotta have other problems at that point

well it is a DSM.....hahahahahahaha

JustinS
06-15-2007, 03:17 PM
So you just welded the shit out of it? LOL, that's fucking awesome man.

Stutz
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Very nice. Have you gotten any times in it this year or did it break on your first run?

tylers88
06-15-2007, 11:30 PM
whatever works man. doesnt matter much what it looks like, no one is going to see it anyway.

[quote="tylers88";p="128299":9b54a]if it does your cars gotta have other problems at that point

well it is a DSM.....hahahahahahaha[/quote:9b54a]

I meant it saying I'm not an expert on them or really know much into detail about them

Drifte
06-16-2007, 12:37 AM
it broke first run going into 3rd, but he coasted past the finish before the car beside him still.

Ricky
06-26-2007, 09:03 PM
keep in mind i had a faster time comparing both our first runs. hahah