PDA

View Full Version : I want a Chevrolet Volt

ZacFields
06-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I am instantly in love with this car. The Chevy Volt (not out yet) is basically an electric car, but without the fear of getting stuck somewhere with a dead battery.

For 40 miles, it works as an electric car. So if you lived 20 miles or less from work, you essentially would hardly ever have to use any gas. If you lived 30 miles away from work, the combination of electric/gas would give you an average of 150 miles per gallon on your daily drives.

When you pull into your garage, you just plug the car in to a standard 110v household wall plugin. (just like all the other plug ins in your house) and let it charge all night.

I was doing some thinking... and I would have to use almost no gas ever if I had this car.

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

TbTalon94
06-05-2007, 03:42 PM
that would make one hell of a DD

sLoWnStEaDy
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
cars could reproduce... I'd say that is the spawn of a Chrysler 300 and a Crossfire..

DragonUSMC
06-05-2007, 05:05 PM
yeah but how much do they cost?! why cant they be reasonably priced like all other compact cars and such.

ZacFields
06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
well its just a concept car right now so I don't know that it has a price tag as of yet... but you're right jay. Just like that car that you posted up here a while ago. I wanted it so bad but then I found out it was ridiculous.

But I would find a way to pay ~50k for a car like this. If you do a lot of daily driving, this car would save you about $1,300 a year or more. So right there you could afford an extra $100/month payments.

Zac

DragonUSMC
06-05-2007, 06:32 PM
well yes that is true but if they want to cut oil dependency then they need to fucking get it in the 20k range

ZEE
06-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Battery pack lasts only ten years? Battery pack would be very expensive to replace every ten years. resale would suck. The batteries would be an issue for resale.

JJ240
06-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Furthermore you have to account for the amount of energy used in driving the thing. Even if you use electricity as your energy source you are still paying for that electricity. Hell even if you ride a bike to work you have to eat more to account for the calories burned.

DustinsDuster
06-09-2007, 10:46 AM
it's a good idea in theory, but i just cant get over the looks of that thing....ugh

ZacFields
06-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Furthermore you have to account for the amount of energy used in driving the thing. Even if you use electricity as your energy source you are still paying for that electricity. Hell even if you ride a bike to work you have to eat more to account for the calories burned.

I think on the site it says the cost of electricity to charge it at the current electricity prices would be the equivilant to about 60 cents per gallon, but I understand what you're saying.

Zac

Scott
06-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah that thing fuckin ugly :vom:

slobalt
06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
When these cars first come out they will sell above retail because the market will allow it. Dealers will apply a "market adjustment" to the price. It'll be a long wait before the price is at msrp or below.

ZacFields
06-14-2007, 11:49 AM
lol at dustin and scott.

Leave it to a couple guys driving 15-30 year old cars to call a 2008 Concept ugly. haha.

Just messing with ya'll. I like the looks of it though. Wouldn't be my first choice on the "looks" factor but I don't see it as being ugly. That's the direction cars are going these days. Lots of people like the slick futuristic look, and then again lots of other people prefer the boxy simple designs from the past. I like both personally.

Zac