PDA

View Full Version : MY new toy...

DustinsDuster
05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
so on our way home yesterday, Kelli and i spotted a yardsale. i wasnt too interested at first until i spotted some vintage movie posters in frames for sale. we pulled a Uturn and checked them out. then i came across this amp, a Peavey Classic 50. it's an old tube style amp, four 10" speakers, 200 watts.

long story short, i managed to walk away with the amp for $80 after seeing it was in decent functioning order. it's been weathered and what not, but for how it looks, its not too bad. i looked on Ebay, and found a few simlar ones, but with 80 watts, none of them were under $300. im not sure what my plans are for this thing, i might get it gone through and fixed up, and flip it for some decent money. or, i might just dont hold on to it.

i took it over to my friend Piggy's house for him to jam on it a bit, and let me tell you, this thing gets LOUD. at one point we cranked it up with no distortion, both covered our ears, and he started jamming on it. all i have to say is the floors and windows were shaking! anyway, heres some pics:

69gt4speed
05-28-2007, 07:07 PM
At most you might need some new electrolytic caps and tubes. partsexpress has that stuff and more to turn a profit if you want. If its not humming bad w no input probably be ok. I don't have any access to good tube checkers anymore. I like tubes for the rounded distortion but they are power hungry even down low. Many times the old guitarists ran a lil tube amp distorted then miked into a big amp. Good buy imo but 200 watts on tag means little, tubes run heater filaments like a bulb to create free electrons that flow from cathode to plate and controlled by the grids. 2 output tubes like a 6L6 do 50 watts, 4 about 100 watts. Look up the model.

Drifte
05-28-2007, 10:27 PM
^ what he said for power output. and thats a sweet deal, nothin better than tube power. Those woofers dont fit in, looks like they have been replaced, but if it sounds good, i cant argue. Friend of mine had some crazy amp setups for his guitar, never did have anything even close to matching it for anyone else to play with him.

Inferno333
05-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Nice find man.