PDA

View Full Version : I lowered the Cavalier...

Talon92Fox
05-20-2007, 12:10 PM
It took two of us and 3 and a half hours, and a broken half inch ratchet.

Ashley
05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
i fixed your pictures for you, they were giving me a headache. hah.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-20-2007, 12:53 PM
wow... those things must look like 4X4's stock if that is lowered...

how much of a drop?

ZacFields
05-20-2007, 01:35 PM
cav's sit pretty high. Mine has always had quite a bit of gap. The thing is that they are harder to look different when you drop them. Cavaliers have a big wheel gap but they are already pretty low to the ground. If Fox put some 17's on there instead of the 15's that come standard, that car would look just as low as any other lowered car.

My car is at stock height.
http://zacfields.com/carpix/pics/big/bodykit6.jpg
http://zacfields.com/carpix/pics/big/yard3.jpg

But as you can see, his car is a bit lower compared to mine. I really don't mind it sitting so high. Even where it's sitting my front scratches on stuff every now and then. I'd hate to know how bad it would be if it were lowered.

Zac

Ricky
05-20-2007, 09:32 PM
zac you could go mudding in your car lol. yeah that really is a big difference looks good.

lil krumm
05-20-2007, 09:46 PM
zac i dont know how you scrape on anything......

Drifte
05-20-2007, 09:53 PM
howd you lower it?

ZacFields
05-20-2007, 11:35 PM
zac i dont know how you scrape on anything......

Try working in downtown CR for a while and driving around in that area. I don't usually have a problem but there's a few areas like pulling out of arby's on 1st avenue the side of the road comes down into like a "V" enough so that when my wheels hit the bottom of that "V" the front end scrapes a bit.

But that's why I won't lower my car: Paid too much for the body parts that I'd end up tearing off. I'd rather just hit more racoons and bust the shit up.

Zac

Talon92Fox
05-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Stock wheel gap sucks IMO. We lowered it 2", all four, it was Sprint brand, which I've never heard of before but it rides pretty well. It's not as bouncy as I thought it would be, especially since they're on stock struts, the Talon was worse with bumps than the Cavi is.
Colton, what do you mean how'd we lower it?

Brett

ZacFields
05-21-2007, 12:52 AM
^ I think you answered his questions. Some people go cheap-o and just cut the springs, others use coilovers, and others just get shorter springs.

Zac

lil krumm
05-21-2007, 06:51 AM
[quote="lil krumm";p="127207":d22df]zac i dont know how you scrape on anything......

Try working in downtown CR for a while and driving around in that area. I don't usually have a problem but there's a few areas like pulling out of arby's on 1st avenue the side of the road comes down into like a "V" enough so that when my wheels hit the bottom of that "V" the front end scrapes a bit.

Zac
[/quote:d22df]

try workin out here in bump fuck iowa. i have to deliver in my truck. alot of thses developments have speed bumps, my exhaust drags across those. then lets head out to all the fuckin gravel roads, like the one i live on..... city drivin aint shit, its all in your approach angle, most the shit i come upon cant be fixed with a different approach.

ZacFields
05-21-2007, 11:31 AM
speed bumps have never been a problem for me. I can drive over speed bumps just fine with no worries. Gravel roads have always been just fine too.

If you don't believe me then go out to arby's and go through the drive-thru. Then get on first avenue and tell me ya don't scrape. Your truck sits lower than my car so when I tell you I scrape something, you're gunna have a damn hard time getting through it.

But this is no contest. My point is that I would never want my car to be lower than it is now because the terrain going in and out of parking garages and out in the 1st ave/downtown area causes me to scrape sometimes right now... so I'd be pretty dumb to lower my car if I'm already scraping on stuff. Plus I don't want to drive around having to be concerned about if the bump I'm about to drive over is going to bottom out my car. Plus you can't complain if you're the one that lowered your car :) I can complain because my car's not lowered.

Zac

lil krumm
05-21-2007, 12:35 PM
im not complaining. i was just saying that taking different angles of approach completely get rid of scraping. but the shit i drive on is impossible to miss.

Talon92Fox
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I definitely would have got coilovers if I had the money. I've heard too many bad things about cut springs to do that, so I just decided to buy a real cheap set of springs, no complaints toward the brand yet.

ZacFields
05-21-2007, 01:17 PM
im not complaining. i was just saying that taking different angles of approach completely get rid of scraping. but the shit i drive on is impossible to miss.

The thing about that though is that you have to know that you're going to scrape. A lot of these "V" deals that I'm talking about, you won't know until you scrape once, then after you've scraped once you can correct it. I don't scrape anymore at that spot down at arbys but even taking it at an angle I think I would be in trouble if i was even an inch lower. Plus I work 3:30-Midnight downtown so I get my lunch at about 8pm. The first time I left arby's it was dark. Anyone ever notice that first avenue from one side of the street to the other is shaped like an upside down "U"?

I'm just a chicken about lowering my car. I don't want to do it because I know if I did, I'd be setting myself up for disaster. This fiberglass shit breaks easily.

I definitely would have got coilovers if I had the money. I've heard too many bad things about cut springs to do that, so I just decided to buy a real cheap set of springs, no complaints toward the brand yet.

I don't know for sure but I have heard that lowering springs ride better than coilovers. I just remember when Trevor got his coilovers for his old 1g talon, he stopped taking kirkwood boulevard home from work because he said there's a bump on that street that would make his ass lift off the seat when he went over it.

I think lowering springs are better choice if you know exactly how low you want to go and you have no desire to change it.

Zac

Stg4raddo
05-21-2007, 02:09 PM

The thing about that though is that you have to know that you're going to scrape. A lot of these "V" deals that I'm talking about, you won't know until you scrape once, then after you've scraped once you can correct it. I don't scrape anymore at that spot down at arbys but even taking it at an angle I think I would be in trouble if i was even an inch lower. Plus I work 3:30-Midnight downtown so I get my lunch at about 8pm. The first time I left arby's it was dark. Anyone ever notice that first avenue from one side of the street to the other is shaped like an upside down "U"?

I'm just a chicken about lowering my car. I don't want to do it because I know if I did, I'd be setting myself up for disaster. This fiberglass shit breaks easily.

I don't know for sure but I have heard that lowering springs ride better than coilovers. I just remember when Trevor got his coilovers for his old 1g talon, he stopped taking kirkwood boulevard home from work because he said there's a bump on that street that would make his ass lift off the seat when he went over it.

I think lowering springs are better choice if you know exactly how low you want to go and you have no desire to change it.

Zaccoil overs own lowering springs in every way. you just have to be willing to pay for a decent set. a decent set for a VW or audi goes for 700-2000 dollars. the ebay coilovers trevor had. did not use good spring rates or have proper dampening so they were bumpy as hell. ground control makes cheaper coil overs but they only really work well if you buy nice struts to put them onto. its all about spring rates. and shock/strut valving.

Coilovers FTW

Drifte
05-21-2007, 03:19 PM
^ saved me a lot of typing. thankyou :)