PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Engine Tuning?

NewSpeedSteed
05-08-2007, 07:03 PM
First off this is probably a n00b question, which is sad I know. But I was wondering how people tune their cars? Like after you add an intake and a exhaust system your cars stock tune causes it to run lean or rich- mostly lean. So I know that I need to adjust my air/fuel ratios and etc but how do I do so? I know that chassis dynos can check hp/tq as well as tune your car but the closest one (correct me if I'm wrong) is at Midstate Machine in Des Monies.
I also know that there are alot of 'flash tuners' such as sct, diablo, sniper etc. but I'm leery of them as I'm not sure how well they work and I'd be worried about messing up. So I'm not really sure what to do, but I know alot of members on here have nice cars and some are freakishly modified so I was looking for a little help or guidance. Any ideas/input is appreciated.

BlownPony306
05-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I see you have a 2003 Mustang. Welcome! You'll want to get a tuner like the SCT XCal2. Go to http://www.modularfords.com. They have a ton of info on the mod motors. And lots of great vendors ready to cut ya a deal. Best way to get the tune dead on is on a dyno with the tuner. You can buy canned tunes but there are too many variables in my opinion to get the most out of a car in a particular location.

69gt4speed
05-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Ya what he said, usually they will include a custom tune with it. It will be close if they do a lot of xx model cars/engine. As far as the flasher it allows global adj. of fuel and timing with maybe a couple of rpm ranges like 2 to 4k rpm and 4k to 7k rpm.
From that baseline you can adj. timing and fuel for wot maybe+10% to -10% probably more. Then you can monitor most variables but air fuel which you need a wb 02. I really can't see for a mach more than 15 rwhp maybe some better gas mileage. You have knock sensors and all that to allow a more aggressive tune from the factory. In other words not going to be a magic wand. On those it is mostly driving and tires. Hi 12's good weather and tires and driving w a 5 speed. The flasher is good though if you decide to run juice. Change the timing easy enough w that.

btw I've flashed my computer probably at least 15 times so really not a big deal.

biohazard
05-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Want to get rid of the check engine light eh?

69gt4speed
05-20-2007, 06:54 PM
^^^ Yea you can ditch the converters run a off road x or h and turn off those after cat 02 sensors, adj. for gears and tires, default the tc off. It does what a scanner can do and more but it does marry itself to the vin. After that you can scan other fords and clear faults but no real flashing on other cars. So by chance if you buy a used one better make sure the flasher isn't still married to the old car. They have to restore the orginal tune back to orginal car to unmarry it. I can show you what it does if you come up, the bad and good. Just got to ask...Adam or I. We run the same flasher and a wet shot.