PDA

View Full Version : Well I broke my tranny

TbTalon94
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeaup, 1st run at CFR went to shift into 3rd and it was gone. Wouldn't go into forth, so i shifted into 5th and coasted to the return lane. Turned onto the lane and started coasting down...went into 2nd and was rolling down to get my ticket and it locked up in gear and i slid to a stop. Well needless to say I couldn't move at all and I sure as hell couldn't get pushed off the return lane. I was blocking return traffic and I couldn't do anything about it.

They needed to get the lane cleared so a track official hooked a chain up to me and pulled me off into the grass (i'm still locked in gear remind you) and then I was stuck to do whatever i could. I figured it was the 3-4 shift fork. Just to make sure I took off the end case and looked over the 5th/reverse gear and the center diff. Everything looked good besides nasty colored tranny fluid and a broken oil galley shaft.

Long-story short I had to get a flat bed (thank you Stro) and get it towed home, then I spent 3hrs yesterday getting it into my garage on 3 jacks...then dropping the transfer case in the rain and rolling the car in the garage very carefully with the front end jacked up. Then spent the next 4-5 hrs dropping the damn tranny (thanks eric) and wanting to blow the car up.

Here's pictures:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/P1010156.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/P1010155.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/P1010152.jpg

-Trevor

logans dad
05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear that Trevor. Sounds like you will have it going again soon. :bigthumb:

Also talked to Trent and he said they ship his dyno out so he should have it soon.

TbTalon94
05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
yea, i found out what's broke. Gonna cost a little more then I thought. The 3rd gear has 3-4 teeth broken off as well as the gear connecting it to the intermediate shaft. The 3-4 shift rail is also broke. Yea...pretty shitty. All messed up.

belittle
05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow, I called that pretty fucking good.

Sucks though. At least you know you were making some decent power.

I'm sure you'll be back on the road in no time.

allgo
05-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Not to be a dick but this is why most of the time I like to trailor my cars to the track, cause you never know when shit is going to break!! Hope you get it running good again soon.

NewSpeedSteed
05-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow man thats really lame... sucks even more seeing how it was the 1st time out this year. God I know I'd be so pissed and I can relate being so angry at your car to just want to blow the thing up. And btw allgo, thats the main reason I don't want to go to the track and run my car hard. I'm not hardcore enough to have a trailer and I don't know anyone that would lend me theirs. Oh well maybe one day.

Jappbox
05-07-2007, 08:20 PM
dude 2G's are cursed everyone breaks 2G's. You dont hear about 1G's breaking very much like your old car its still runing has not broke. And georges car rollin on stock tranny. just my opinion but from what i have have seen i would never build a 2G even Dan has had lots of problems with is 2G (including tranny)

slow ride
05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Transmissions are the same though. Some parts here and there are different, but pretty much the same old shit. You'll always be fighting transmission stuff in 400+whp dsm's. The only real solution is a dog box, but that's not really street to me. While you're in it I would change to the heavy duty 3/4th gearset/hub/slider which are basically old parts from a 1st gen. the blocker ring is smaller allowing the slider to be thicker and take more power. the 93+ sliders can explode in the 400+ whp range depending on weight, torque, etc.

Run good gear oil also. Stright syncromesh can be a little thin once it heats up.

Ricky
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
wouldnt have mattered if we did trailer it up there. all 4 wheels were locked and the car couldnt move. our trailer would have had to have a very strong wintch on it to pull the car up. thanks to stro eveything worked out and we got it home for free. :)

JustinS
05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Talked to Andrew about it today, sucks to hear Trevor!

TbTalon94
05-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Yea thanks everyone. It sucked pretty bad. There was pretty much nothing I could have done different besides drive the car like a grandma. I didn't miss a shift, nor did I shift hard. I just went to go into 3rd and it wasn't there. When I was coming down the return lane it locked up (probably when the peice of the shift rail got stuck in the gear teeth). It sucks but now I'll have a nice shifting tranny. Going to cost me, but what can ya do.

I'd take my car up on a trailer but one, i'd have to buy a trailer, and two i'd have to have a truck to pull it. I don't have either...nor do I have the money to buy either one. I'll just be a little easier on the car next time..if that's even possible lol.

I hear people breaking 1g trannys all the time. You just gotta remember that 2g's are more appealing to little rich kids with lots of money that can just dump a bunch of money into their car and try to run it down the track with 400+hp with a stock tranny and expect it not to break. Then again there are a TON of 1g's that are driven by broke ass teenagers with no modifications and think they are fast.

Drifte
05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
me talkin to trevors gf and mine in the stands...

"hey missed a shift! ha trevor doesnt miss shifts...? i wonder if something broke..."

5minutes later over the itnercome

"woah somebody locked up, gonna get a truck hooked up and get em off the return lane."

freakin nuts. and we just got that 42r and motor in their...oh well

hehe

TbTalon94
05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
^^ yea all that damn work and not one clean pass. Figures

Here are some cel-phone pictures:

Stg4raddo
05-08-2007, 01:30 PM
at least it was just the tranny cuz those 42r's arent cheap. and you did it with out spray thats crazy.

bowtiebuba
05-08-2007, 11:23 PM
wasnt that a shep tranny or somethin?

Drifte
05-09-2007, 06:58 AM
just a stock tranny. no real money into it, so I guess he reall cant complain. all these years with a dsm he never had to deal with a trans problem; i figure it was due time.

DustinsDuster
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
cant believe i missed all of this.

my condolances Trevor; have you got it fixed yet? what are you going to do for a tranny now?

Drifte
05-22-2007, 10:11 PM
runs and drives as of last night. but i havnt seen it or ridden in it with the new stuff.

TbTalon94
05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
it's all fixed now with a few new parts. Everything is good. Have about 15miles on it. I'll be driving it around a lot to get some miles on stuff then i'm back in the game :)

DustinsDuster
05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
hell yeah. maybe some night we can go out and have some fun this summer Trevor. run'em and see where were both at...

TbTalon94
05-23-2007, 05:25 PM
yea we probably can. You are probably faster then me this year. I got a little different set-up. Nothing spectacular.

DustinsDuster
05-23-2007, 05:53 PM
well i'll start out on the motor, and we can go from there