PDA

View Full Version : OMG MY ACCOUNT GOT DELETED!?!?!?

ZacFields
04-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Hello To All,

I'm sure there are a lot of (possibly) angry people reading this post right now because they just received an email stating that their account with CR:U has been deleted.

Before you get too mad, let me explain!

Our users table on our database is about 2 megabytes in size which is a rather large table. When people try to view the website, Usernames are displayed all over the place. For each and every username displayed, the server has to dig into that 1,700 person file and find the one that it needs. This affects pageload time.

I have deleted over 600 users, which means that now when the server needs to find somebody's username it has 600 less usernames to dig through, thus making pages load a little faster for everyone.

I have only deleted these types of usernames:
-Usernames that were not active (haven't been logged into in more than 60 days)
-Usernames that had not been logged into EVER
-Usernames that were never activated
- And non-posting users.

I really had to bite my bottom lip when I did this... I am a statistics man as you all know and it kills me to have to lower my numbers but this was a decision that was for the good of the community.

PLEASE re-sign up if you would like. Don't take this as any indication that I don't want some people here. I would like to see all 600 of those people re-register for the site if they were all interested in still being a part of the site (voting in the ROTM polls and making posts and such). This was strictly a move to save resources, and is something that is likely to be done again perhaps in a year or two.

Zac