PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the 1/4 when it opens?

warchild145
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Whos all going to a track when they open in a couple weeks?

Havent been to an official track so looking for someone who has been there before to show me the ropes if their are any.

Also want to see what times i can run with the camaro before i take the satellite up.

DustinsDuster
04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
even if i get my tires yet this month, i doubt i'll go up quite yet, just drive my car a bit and enjoy it for a bit. i dont see myself pulling any better times unless i get a bottle warmer, so i dont see much reason to go...

as for pointers, get in line, pull into the waterbox, do a burnout, creep forward until both top yellow lights are lite up, stop, hold brake hard, and hold revs to 2000rpm or so, when the 3 bottom yellow lights light up, launch. dont let off until you pass the finish line. after that, slow down and hit the turn around and get your timeslip. repeat

Stutz
04-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I prolly wont get the caprice done until late this summer and i really dont care to take the grand prix up until i get the top end swap done.

Drifte
04-03-2007, 07:27 PM
haha rinse and repeat. i live in CF, so i can go whenever i dont have to work or something.

warchild145
04-03-2007, 07:48 PM
about the only thing i am un sure about is where to get your time slip i got the line up down and i'm sure gettin in a long line should be easy to spot.

Also going to skip the water box, hear its pointless with street tires since i dont want to break anything by getting anything sticky.

Drifte
04-03-2007, 08:02 PM
right, heating radials is useless (right?), just a spot to practice launch if ya want.

ZEE
04-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Don't worry about reaction times. Time doesn't start untill you go. Not as soon as it turns green. So don't worry about trying to launch as soon as it turns green.

black88gt
04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
even if i get my tires yet this month, i doubt i'll go up quite yet, just drive my car a bit and enjoy it for a bit. i dont see myself pulling any better times unless i get a bottle warmer, so i dont see much reason to go...

as for pointers, get in line, pull into the waterbox, do a burnout, creep forward until both top yellow lights are lite up, stop, hold brake hard, and hold revs to 2000rpm or so, when the 3 bottom yellow lights light up, launch. dont let off until you pass the finish line. after that, slow down and hit the turn around and get your timeslip. repeat

creep forward until 1 set lights up, wait for the other person to prestage, then light up the 2nd set

(courtesy staging)

black88gt
04-03-2007, 10:18 PM
and if you do want to go for ET, it usually works to go when the last yellow lights up. you see green, you're too late

JustinS
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I went to the track once. Completely messed up everything I was so nervous, and haven't been back since. Kind of lame, but you know, it happens to the best of us.

DustinsDuster
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
right, heating radials is useless (right?), just a spot to practice launch if ya want.

yeah, Radials dont heat up too well, but it helps a lot to just spin your tires a bit after the waterbox to clean them off.

i have heard if you pump radial tires up to like 40-45psi at the strip they will hook harder, but i never got to try it out. if you get bored, its something to try...

TbTalon94
04-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I'll probably go up when it opens. I should be getting some new toys next week and installed next weekend....so i'll be wanting to see what it can do.

As for racing at the track...it's all really easy. You will be in the line..they will tell you to come forward and it will be obvious what lane you go to or they will point. You do your burnout or whatever (i go around the waterbox), then you pull up and pre-stage...first yellow light. You can then either wait for the other guy or just get fully staged...just creep ahead really slow untill the 2nd light turns on then hit the brakes and hold them hard. It only takes an inch or so to go past the stage.

The lights go as usual...yellow--yellow--yellow--green. Like someone said earlier if your going for ET then it's goot to launch on the 3rd yellow. For your first time I would just get set and be ready to launch...watch the lights then launch when you feel comfortable, obviously after the 3rd yellow though. If you launch to soon and "red light" it...no biggie, your reaction time is just -.xxx Only really matters if your going for ET.

Just go out and have fun. When your waiting to run just watch the people racing. You will get the hang of it. It's easy.

-Trevor

black88gt
04-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I'll probably go up when it opens. I should be getting some new toys next week and installed next weekend....so i'll be wanting to see what it can do.

As for racing at the track...it's all really easy. You will be in the line..they will tell you to come forward and it will be obvious what lane you go to or they will point. You do your burnout or whatever (i go around the waterbox), then you pull up and pre-stage...first yellow light. You can then either wait for the other guy or just get fully staged...just creep ahead really slow untill the 2nd light turns on then hit the brakes and hold them hard. It only takes an inch or so to go past the stage.

The lights go as usual...yellow--yellow--yellow--green. Like someone said earlier if your going for ET then it's goot to launch on the 3rd yellow. For your first time I would just get set and be ready to launch...watch the lights then launch when you feel comfortable, obviously after the 3rd yellow though. If you launch to soon and "red light" it...no biggie, your reaction time is just -.xxx Only really matters if your going for ET.
Just go out and have fun. When your waiting to run just watch the people racing. You will get the hang of it. It's easy.

-Trevor

RT has absolutely 0 effect on your ET

TbTalon94
04-04-2007, 12:59 PM
correct.

I should have said it only matters if your bracket racing or something of that effect. The clock does not start untill you leave the line. But if you were trying to compete...then the reaction time would have an effect on your standings. Since this is your first time going to the track and it's purely for fun...then your reaction time is just going to be bragging rights.

90 notch
04-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I heard some people have already went.Sounded pretty promising.Good luck to everyone.Steve o(msca).

69gt4speed
04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
You see the last yellow light you have about .4 to .5 sec till green light. But like zee said it does not matter on the et slip. It only matters if you are actually racing someone. The win against another car = lowest et + reaction time just like the streets. Example you get a .5 sec reaction time and a 12.000 et. Your opponent gets a .1 sec reaction time and a 12.300 et. He wins by .1 sec. One bad habit of many I have is letting off too soon before the end, it kills your speed cause that is where 1/4 mi speed is measured. Hard to say about burnout on street tires, some soften up some do not. Couple of runs you will get the idea. Find a guy there that's cool and line up beside him do what he does.

40# on front tires will help. Doubt it will help rear tires usually 25 to 32# on rears. There isn't much weight back there. Ground is cold so don't get dissapointed.