PDA

View Full Version : Coke, Soda, Pop... what do you call it?

ZacFields
03-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I thought this was an interesting graphic.

When you go down south where I'm from (Mississippi) and you go into a restuarant, the waitress will say "What kind of coke do you want?" If your response is "Diet," then the waitress will say "Okay.... Diet what?" Because everything is "coke" down there.

Just a little bit of interesting trivia for you.

Zac

Mike@Salkowski-Motorsport
03-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Its amazing to see there are companies willing to waste time to survey such non important info. Just thought I would fill in on this topic.

Ashley
03-21-2007, 08:42 AM
its not really unimportant.. gotta know how to market stuff. if you go down california and are marketing a type of ''pop''... some people might not even know what you're talking about.

my mom has friends who live in idaho (right around that yellow blob) and when they came to visit, they didn't know what pop was. everything's soda to them.

03-21-2007, 09:04 AM
I would have to agree with you on that.

ZacFields
03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
When I got here from Mississippi, I didn't know what the heck "pop" was. It took me a long time to adjust to calling it "pop" because for some reason when people said that, I would think of Pop Rocks and I just couldn't make the connection.

The way I saw it, the term that is correct is Soda Pop, and I could understand shortening it down to just Soda, but I couldn't fathom for the life of me why anyone would shorten it down to just pop.

Ah well, I'm used to it now... but I still call it coke, and sometimes soda.

Zac

Drifte
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
hahha this is awesome. look at the little iowa "soda" blurb. its like right down in whatcheer or some shit! hahaha

i call it pop. my dad soda, my brother beer.

melhoneybee
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I have always called it pop... jsut upbringing I guess

ZEE
03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
When stationed in North Carolina got used to calling it soda. I kind of use both now, with a lean towards pop which is slowly taking over my brain.

Ricky
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
say say pop and soda to be funny

03-21-2007, 07:05 PM
almost forgot I have always called pop, coke

Drifte
03-21-2007, 07:56 PM
^ is that some kind of mind game?! if you always call pop coke than youd say i call IT coke. but you refered to it as pop as if thats its REAL name.

i hope its just a reading thinking misunderstanding.

03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah I guess it was a little mind game but it proves the point about this topic.

Drifte
03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
yea it really does. what is the official name of canned carbonated beverages?

Soda pop

soda

pop

obviously not coke, but its used a lot.

DustinsDuster
03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
i dont drink pop very much anymore...

NewSpeedSteed
03-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Haha, Jesus thats a random question but I guess it depends; my favorite type of pop/soda w/e is Pepsi so usually I just say "I'm going to get a Pepsi." Other times I'll switch off and on between soda and pop.

However there was one time when I was going to rock stock '05 when I said "stoda" instead of soda.... and I still don't know why but my friends enjoy giving me crap about it still.