PDA

View Full Version : 90 RX7

sLoWnStEaDy
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, not sure i should start this because will it probably be pretty slow progress to start with. I am getting ready to move into a much bigger/better apartment and me and a buddy are in the process of getting a "shop" as well, so money will be a we little tight for a while. But to start it off... (short story further down)

Long Story: I was on here one day and seen someone lookin for a talon shell, someone said they had seen one but didnt have any info/pics. So i decided to grab some pics and info as i was heading that direction anyways. Well, while i was there i happened to see the top/rear section of a car, wasnt sure what it was, i was thinking either RX7 or possibly older supra. Ended up being a 1990 RX7 (DUH!). Ne ways i bought it as a non-running car which "probably" had a bad motor. Ended up just needing some spark plugs and a good battery (there is a little battery drain issue at the moment. Either way i sold a TON of crao all at once and decided to buy some stuff for it.
So far i have ordered a full "flex fiber" Drift body kit and a couple small goodies. The while visiting A1 imports for a headlight door found a TII RX7 which i was going to buy. Ended up not having room in my current garage so talked to the A1 guys and they decided to let me pull anything and everything i wanted for $250. Not only that but they even pulled out/moved around stuff in there shop so that i could do it all in a heated building AND they even let me use their tools and other equip...

short story: bought a '90 RX7 from a collision repair place, put some spark plugs and a battery in it and drives like a dream. I have a "flex fiber" Drift body kit on the way, and bought an entire TII rx7 for $250 (minus body and interior)

This is what i walked away with for the $250 (also some other little misc engine/interior/exterior stuff not pictured)
http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/901263/rx7stuff001.jpg (http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/3Msv/view-image/rx-7--stuff-001.html) http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/901264/rx7stuff002.jpg (http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/3Msw/view-image/rx-7--stuff-002.html)

Motor will be getting a street port and a "small" bridge port. Thats all i am going to say as far as the engien goes. The reast of the stuff (in the truck) will be getting plasted and either polished or powder coated. I just bought a powder coating system so i am pretty excited about getting to use it ; ) also got myself a tube bender that goes up to 3", along with my new Lincoln welder i should be able to fab up pretty much anything i need to. Depending on wether or not we end up getting the shop i or not, i will also be getting some other fun stuff.

Stix37867
03-05-2007, 12:12 AM
So when you say a street port and a small brigdeport, what do you mean? Do you mean a half-bridgeport or a large street/race port?

Drifte
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
that scrap yard did you a huge favor, id be thanking those guys a lot.

sLoWnStEaDy
03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Intake is getting "small" bridge port, exhaust is getting a decent street port.

And yeah, i was amazed by A1
I figured id be freezin my ass off outside, plus all i had with me for tools was my 2XX piece Craftsman set. Woulda took me forever!! Using their air tools and lift we got EVERYTHING you see in a little over an hour, as well as a few things you dont see.
I think the local yards should learn a thing or two from A1. Needless to say i will be getting everything from them for now on as well as letting everyone know how great they are to deal with. Then again when your used to dealing with the dicks at sunline anythig will seem much better ; )

brown7
03-22-2007, 02:57 AM
My advice - Take the 6 port NA irons (minus 6 port sleeves of course), mate them with the TII internals and housings, dowel the engine, build (or port) LIM, port exhaust ports. All the flow of of a BP, with the reliability of an NA (meaning your irons wont crack from the BP and start gushing coolant into the combustion chamber).

As far as A1, they are all I go to anymore, awsome people.

BTW is the TII engine a s5 or s4? if you don't know how to tell look at the thermostat housing. metal- s4 plastic- s5

sLoWnStEaDy
04-17-2007, 09:42 PM
hhhmmm... never updated...

Well, got a "new" exhaust put on (bougth off here)
and got a bunch of stuff on its way as well. Next week should have my new injectors, turbo manifold and turbo. still trying to find the right FMIC to go along with my body kit. Which is coming along nicely. I wasnt going to spend too much time on it, but after workin on it for a little while i decided to mold it. Also found a set of rims to be getting sooner or later, they are "cobra" rims. black with chrome lip 17X9 up front and 17X10.5 in the back

rims: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-9-10- ... 0565QQrdZ1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-9-10-Black-Mustang-Cobra-R-Wheels-rims-DEEP-DISH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43957QQihZ019QQite mZ290104260565QQrdZ1)

obviously the pony will be gone. ill try to get pics or videos sometime...

sLoWnStEaDy
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
:yawinkle:
Did a little more...
Got sick of looking under the hood and seeing dirt, cakes on oil and some surface rust. So i decided to yank the engine/tranny and redo the engine bay along with the engine. I'm not gonna do anything TOO crazy, just looking for around 300hp for now the gonna push my way towards 500HP (easier than you think) once i get the engine back in and running again before i start playing with it just so i have a few less things to worrry about.
The engine bay should be painted and ready for the engine/tranny by this weekend. Just gonna remove EVERYTHING i possibly can and fill in some holes, cut off some unused stud etc... The engine should (crosses fingers) be going in the weekend AFTER next, depending on how fast the vendor ships my parts. Still have ot finish up the body kit and get the TII LSD rearend swapped in as well.
:yawinkle:

PICS tomarow

DustinsDuster
05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
sounds like a pretty fun deal man, cant wait to see pics

Drifte
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
you have a great life.

F UNI, I have no fun.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Here is a "Before" picture.
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7292/rx7enginebaybeforens5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Gonna get some pics as it sits now (after pressure wash, before anyreal work)
Then again after some metal work and primer, then again after paint and again when the engine is in. I think you'll be surprised how it turns out. The trans am engine bay was pretty sweet looking when i finished it. Took quite a bit of metal work on that thing. Sadly didnt get any pics before i sold it on ebay : (

So far ive spent about $300 on random "performance" parts and a few chrome accessories.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Just got off the phone with of the vendors and the "big" part of the project wont be here for about 1.5-2 weeks so it may take a wee bit longer than i was hoping, still DONE by the end of may!

Dont even have the engine back in yet or even close at the momet yet i still feel the need to go faster. Someone shoule buy my Taurus so i have some extra $$$ to throw at it!

DustinsDuster
05-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Someone shoule buy my Taurus so i have some extra $$$ to throw at it!

sorry man, my Ram50 > Taurus for a DD

sLoWnStEaDy
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah, i am NOT a fan of the Taurus!!!
I just bought it from my sister to do her a favor, put about $700 in it and cant even get $400 out of it

Anyways, the welder took a wee bit of a dump on me for some reason. The wire wont come out the handle for crap for some reason. Dont know if it got rusty in there or what, the roller spin the wire, it just doesnt come out unless the line is completely straight. So i got pissed and decided to say screw the hole and what not, just scuffed it all up and put a coat of paint over it. Looks much better but sadly nowhere even CLOSE to what i wanted to do with it! Guess i'll have more time for the body work now.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Like i said above, my welder quit qorking so it wasnt going to turn out like i wanted so i just decided to spray it. Didnt worry about masking off too much in the engine bay as the brake lines where that ugly ass olive green color. and the heater core inlet/outlet will be covered by hose and the A/C thing will be removed. So basicaly what i was wanting to be a full weekend job ended up being about a 1 hour job...

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/44a79f63b7.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

sLoWnStEaDy
05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
So talkin to a bunch of people and they talked me into getting on one of those 1/4 mile calculators... According to it I should be running low high 10's to low 11's. Hopefuly some of the crap i ordered will start showing up so i can get a move on!!!

Dont know if i ever stated i am looking for about 400WHP.

Drifte
05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
i see so many holes that are asking to be filled! but it looks great.

Drifte
05-10-2007, 09:22 PM
somebody shaved it.

sLoWnStEaDy
05-10-2007, 09:33 PM
damn you... now i HAVE to do it. Thanks for adding a few days to my build ; ) SO MANY HOLES!!!! i can decide which to fill first HEHEHE...

I just cannot believe how much better that looks, i will be beating the shit out of myself if i dont shave it all now.

DustinsDuster
05-11-2007, 03:37 PM
So talkin to a bunch of people and they talked me into getting on one of those 1/4 mile calculators... According to it I should be running low high 10's to low 11's. Hopefuly some of the crap i ordered will start showing up so i can get a move on!!!

Dont know if i ever stated i am looking for about 400WHP.

yeah, according to Richmond's gear calculator, my Duster should be in the mid 10's. honestly, if i were you, i wouldnt hope for much more than 13's....

sLoWnStEaDy
05-11-2007, 04:17 PM
13's?
400WHP in a 2500 pound car?
i REALLY hope i get better than that, a stock N/A RX7 5-speed runs low-mid 15's. Stock they have like 120PH or so IIRC. i am gonna more than triple that at the wheels. i will be VERY upset if i dont hit mid-low 11's!

DustinsDuster
05-11-2007, 06:18 PM
13's?
400WHP in a 2500 pound car?
i REALLY hope i get better than that, a stock N/A RX7 5-speed runs low-mid 15's. Stock they have like 120PH or so IIRC. i am gonna more than triple that at the wheels. i will be VERY upset if i dont hit mid-low 11's!

first of all, i will believe 400whp when i see a dynosheet. just because someone else has a similar motor that makes X amount of horsepower, doesnt mean you will.

second, those gear calculators go off of a perfect hook up, and perfect gear ratios that have you going through the traps at max hp RPM. low 11's are what your car is physically capable with said horsepower, not taking any variables into consideration.

lastly, i have learned it is always a better policy to hope for the best, and expect the worst.

good luck with the build..

sLoWnStEaDy
05-11-2007, 06:57 PM
said the goal is 400WHP, not "i AM making 400WHP". Also i do not know a single person with the same setup that i will be running. My estimate on the HP is based on the stock HP, and a collection of mods i have done and with a decent shot of nitrous.
Right now the weak point of my setup is the engine block which can only handle about 600HP at the most. Everything else can handle up to a 250 shot : )I am not saying i WILL make or AM making that much power, just that i HOPE to. Wasnt tryin to be a bench racer or anything, just stating my goals, thats all.

brown7
05-12-2007, 03:51 AM
stock 13bt's will not make 600hp

sLoWnStEaDy
05-12-2007, 09:10 AM
stock 13bt's will not make 600hp

You are correct! :bigthumb:

DustinsDuster
05-12-2007, 09:16 AM
[quote="brown7";p="126642":7098e]stock 13bt's will not make 600hp

You are correct! :bigthumb:[/quote:7098e]

i wouldnt get too smart with brown7; i dont know anyone who knows more about RX7's. at some point, you might want his help....

sLoWnStEaDy
05-12-2007, 09:26 AM
I wasnt getting smart, he is correct. I was agreeing with him that a stock 13BT will not handle 600HP. Smiley face was just because i never said i was running a stock 13BT.

Drifte
05-12-2007, 10:12 AM
yea i got the joke. if this is a toy you dont need those heater lines and what not anyway. strip that bay out wiper blades/motr and all. get that ish clean and empty. strip the interior, show off that clean white paint. if i had a car to do this with I would want to do all that. maybe add a cage.

idk, keep us posted. peace

brown7
05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
My point was all I keep hearing is turbo, nitrous, ect. with out proper porting and tuning, 400hp is gonna be really hard on that engine. its gonna be like squeezing an elephant into a mouse hole. just keep in mind rotaries are not for the weak of heart. here are some picture examples. one little bit of detonation can cause the piece in pic one to come free of the rotor causing the damage outlined in pics 2&3

sLoWnStEaDy
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
OK... lets do this...

you car has one piston laying in the trunk...
Mine has 8 pistons UNDER THE HOOD ; )

NOW ya get the "joke"...?

DustinsDuster
05-15-2007, 04:14 PM
ah, you never said you were actually going with the V8, that should be fun. are you just going to use a carb'd V8 or what?

sLoWnStEaDy
05-15-2007, 05:28 PM
For now, i am using an '88 5.0HO (stock forged pistons). Havent done too much to it. underdrive pulleys, no emissions, no A/C, gasket matched and polished heads/intakes, intake spacer between lower and upper, T.B. spacer type nitrous plate with a 125 shot. Hopefuly i can get a cam for it really soon as well as a set of roller rockers. I have to "recycle" my car money for now, meaning in order to buy car stuff, i have to sell car stuff. Atleast until i get used to having the baby around and can get a better idea of my budget....

However, this winter i am selling the 302, along with the all the EFI stuff and the retro-fit harness. I will be building a 351W stroked and poked to a 408 or 427 (cant decide) and will be running a 200+ shot. Switching over to carb on that engine, then gutting the RX7 and adding a cage and some other stuff. The nitrous kit I traded my turbo setup for was on a 486 (I think, its a stroked chevy)... Here is the kit, i traded my "old" twin turbo setup...
(was for the T/A, never got used as the car was way too rusty and full of hole sin all the wrong spots. Someone used fibeglass to hid 'em before the paint work...)

"I have a 275hp adjustable plate cheeter set up with all the pills, full 10 lb NOS bottle, fuel presure guage,stainless steel lines for the nos hook up, all an fittings required are included. also enough braided steel fuel lines to run the full system, new holley blue fuel pump, and adjustable fuel pressure system"

DustinsDuster
05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
isnt it great how much cheaper and easier it is to go fast with a domestic powerplant?

brown7
05-15-2007, 09:08 PM
sorry, was confused as you opened this thread with pics of TII parts. so if your ditching the rotary, what y'all got for sale?

sLoWnStEaDy
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
nothing much left, sold everythign to a guy up in MN...

All i have left is an N/A rearend and and N/A driveshaft. The TII rearend is going in the car, and the TII driveshaft is getting modified with a slip on yoke so i can use it with the T-5 without spending too much more $$. I was going to buy Grannys full kit, but am glad i didnt, i went with the most basic kit and am less than impressed. $30 worth of metal/welding/nuts/bolts and it sells for $400...
Plus the amount of time/work it took me to get the "bolt in" kit to fit, i could have built something myself for less than $50 that would have worked fine.

brown7
05-15-2007, 11:09 PM
yeah, second gen drive train isn't gonna help me out much. Sorry to hear that bout the granny's stuff, hope everything comes out good in the end