PDA

View Full Version : D50/4G63T swap

DustinsDuster
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
i figure i would just start my own thread on this and not get off topic in another thread.

basically im faced with a few options that im looking for opinions on.

1. Buy a turbo talon and get get all the parts i need off of it
this was the original idea. if i bought the whole car, i would have most of what i need all there in one package(and some stuff i probably dont know that i need yet), and a supply of extra nuts, bolts and what not. the downsides include complete cars are usually a bit more than i want to spend. i could part out whats left of the car afterwards, but i would have to store the car until parts sell, and i dont really have space for that. a friend said i could keep the car at his place, but i know hes not going to want a disassembled car sitting at his place for too terribly long.

2.Peice together what i need individually
the plus sides here are that i would have a better idea of what im getting(not making assumptions about what a car will have), i wont have to buy a bunch of stuff i dont need and try to sell it afterwards, and i dont have to store the car.

i was originally leaning towards the first option, but the second is starting to look better and better to me. Colton has a(mostly) complete 4G63 sitting around and an Eprom with spare chips. i could just get a wiring harness from a non-turbo car and plug the turbo ECU into it, couldnt i? i guess the part i worry about doing that is mostly the gauge cluster; im not sure if the wiring harness that uses a non-turbo gauge cluster will plug into a turbo one. i suppose i could just try to find a wiring harness from a turbo car.

the only thing i dont like about trying to peice together a setup is that, in the way i think and like to do stuff, im going look at buying expensive stuff with the mindset of "well, if im going to do this, im going to spend more and do it right the first time". the only problem with that is if i do one thing like that, it'll be a domino effect for all the parts i'll need to buy. like, "well, i need an exhaust manifold, so i might as well look for a 2G one. well if im gonna get that, i better get a turbo that would take better advantage of the better manifold. well if im gonna get that big turbo, i might as well get the biggest intercooler i can possibly fit in my truck. well if im gonna go mod the motor this much, i might as well get DSM Link or some other tuning device, etc......", see where im going with this? if i buy a complete stock motor, i have a good reason to just leave it stock for a while, you know?

i dont know, what do you think?

Drifte
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I think locally their are enough parts to piece together what you want. you can use a non turbo wiring harness, but you have to add one maf wire and a knock sensor wire.

Rys Im sure has a manifold, injectors, maybe a turbo.

their are of course benefits of having the complete car, but more than likely the motor wont be in great shape for the price you want...they rarely are.

luminatorz34 has a ton of my other parts. so pretty much if i dont have it, he should. If neither he or i have it rys should.

what you need: complete motor, wiring harness, gauge cluster, ecu.

maybe motor mounts?

Inferno333
02-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a D50?

Will this end up awd?

DustinsDuster
02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a D50?

Will this end up awd?

1988 Dodge Ram 50 pickup truck. D50 for short. dont need AWD, RWD is just fine for me.

Colton, i found out about a beat up talon with a rebuilt 4G63 with 10k miles on it. leaking valve cover gasket, and one of the rear brakes is locked up, but it has a 16G turbo on it. im gonna see how much money i can raise up for it over the next few weeks. if i can pull the cash together im gonna try to go with that.

Luminatorz34
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
yeah dustin i have a crap load of parts. when i get the car running, ill have an extra gauge cluster that will just be sitting. its a n/t cluster. so it doesnt have the boost gauge in it. but the factory boost gauge in the turbo clusters were shitty anyways, so i assume youd be running a after market boost gauge. but yeah, ill have a gauge cluster available when the time requires it

96-eclipse-gst
02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I have a 2g Exhaust manifold that I started to port, if you wanna finish it? Ill certainly let you have it. Sits at my dad's house, let me know I'll grab it and see what other parts I have sitting out there. Also If you can't find a decent turbo to put on there Trevor and I both have T25's sitting around that could be used. I really think you won't have a problem doing this modification. I for one am certainly interested in seeing this project finished. Let us know.

Drifte
02-27-2007, 09:51 PM
dustin that sounds like a pretty good deal. id go for that first. trev sold his t25, but obviously we all ahve what you need.

best of luck

TbTalon94
02-28-2007, 07:55 AM
You don't need the turbo cluster dustin, but the benefit to having it is the Keydriver chips usually utilize the stock boost gauge as something like a Knock gauge, timing gauge, etc. You don't want the turbo gauge cluster for the "boost gauge", it's kinda of useless. Also if you need a boost gauge, I have a 0-35psi Autometer Ultra-light and an Ultra-light oil pressure gauge (mechanical) as well.