PDA

View Full Version : matte paintjobs, what do you think?

DustinsDuster
02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
so i have been thinking a lot about paint options for my car(in 10 years when i actually get the body straightened out), and i happened across an article in HotRod about their project '73 Camaro, "Project F Bomb". heres what it ended up looking like for those who havent seen it:

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/hrdp_0703_101_z+project_f_bomb_chassis_build+1973_ chevrolet_camaro_project_car.jpg

its kindof refreshing in this automotive world of $20,000 paintjobs with some crazy one off PPG color that costs $1,000 quart, to see something so simple come along and(in my opinion) look good.

the original plan for my car involved painting it black, and its starting to become apparent to me how much work its going to be to get my car straight enough to look good shiney black.

what do you guys think? yay or ney?

lil krumm
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
thats how i think im gonna paint my truck. matte is wheres its at. fuck that shiny shit

krustindumm
02-18-2007, 07:08 PM
http://photos-503.ak.facebook.com/ip005/v17/247/115/71801452/n71801452_30469503_1566.jpg
http://photos-504.ak.facebook.com/ip005/v17/247/115/71801452/n71801452_30469504_2015.jpg

If I do it again, I will probably try to get it closer to a matte finish, but I was still happy with the way that one turned out.

JustinS
02-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I love how satin black looks. If my car gets wrecked again I'm saying eff it and painting it satin black.

DustinsDuster
02-18-2007, 08:21 PM
i dont know, its a really hard line to walk, because its so easy for it to come out just looking like primer. oh well, i love of the F Bomb's looks!

krustindumm
02-18-2007, 08:27 PM
When I cleared mine it became matte, but I never cleared the whole car.

Stg4raddo
02-18-2007, 11:47 PM
My boss saw project fbomb in person and that paint job was in no way cheap. he had a post card thing with all the info on the car and im pretty sure the car was powdercoated.

i do a proper satin or matte pain job it involves using flating agents in the clear.

heres a link to a guy on a forum i spend lots more time on than cr:u that kind of describes how to get a real matte or satin paint job

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3083758

DustinsDuster
02-19-2007, 06:36 AM
My boss saw project fbomb in person and that paint job was in no way cheap. he had a post card thing with all the info on the car and im pretty sure the car was powdercoated.

i do a proper satin or matte pain job it involves using flating agents in the clear.

heres a link to a guy on a forum i spend lots more time on than cr:u that kind of describes how to get a real matte or satin paint job

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3083758

thats kinda what i was talking about. the car was powdercoated black after all the bodywork was done, but thats not the flat green color it is. if i were to go matte, id want to do it like they did it, because thats about the best i have ever seen a matte car look..

krustindumm
02-19-2007, 06:48 AM
there is a how to in this month's hot rod magazine. it is not powder coated.

Stg4raddo
02-19-2007, 08:19 AM
there is a how to in this month's hot rod magazine. it is not powder coated.DK the car was powder coated as dustins duster said.

this is taken from nelson racing engins website who played a big part in building the car

The "F-bomb" belongs to David Freiburger, Cheif Editor of Hotrod Magazine. This is David's personal car which we built completely at Nelson Supercars to show what can be done with a high tech twin turbo Nelson Racing Engine... and a car designed around it. The 1973 Camaro has been caged, minitubbed, completely stripped to bare metal and powder coated the entire car. The motor is a 406 twin turbo that makes 1540 hp and 1527 lbs of torque. The F-Bomb was debuted at the 2006 SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) trade show.

lil krumm
02-19-2007, 03:04 PM
read better tyler. it was powder coated satin BLACK. then painted the matte green by Scott Carpenter. owner of Scotts Customs and has just teamed up with Tom Nelson of Nelson Racing engines to create Nelson Supercars.

DustinsDuster
02-19-2007, 03:54 PM
read better tyler. it was powder coated satin BLACK. then painted the matte green by Scott Carpenter. owner of Scotts Customs and has just teamed up with Tom Nelson of Nelson Racing engines to create Nelson Supercars.

Kent is right. they powdercoated the whole thing because it would make a good looking, tough finish for the undercarraige, and it makes a good foundation to paint on as well.

in the end, after the flat green base coat, they used a low gloss clearcoat with flattening agents to keep the color so flat. so the finish will never turn chalky like primer does, it also wont let moisture through like plain primer does.

definatly good shit.

Stg4raddo
02-19-2007, 04:06 PM

kent i know it was painted green but ur bro made it seem like they had not powder coated it at all

Drifte
02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
i like the idea of a bare body getting stripped powder coated, and then painted.

...now i want it.

Drifte
02-20-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.hasback.com/images/oliveeg.jpg

DustinsDuster
02-20-2007, 04:35 PM
that thing has a neat stance, but it looks like it has trouble getting over a grain of sand....

Drifte
02-20-2007, 04:40 PM
oh i dont doubt. i just liked the paint, and reminded me of this thread.

a matte blue would be neat.

Rollin on Dubs
02-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Im not a fan, I mean some cars pull it off, (like Project F- Bomb) but in my opinion a sleek, shiny paint job makes a tough car look even better. It looks like they didint have enough money to buy paint or, clear coat so they just left tinted sealer on it and called it good.

Drifte

oh i dont doubt. i just liked the paint, and reminded me of this thread.

a matte blue would be neat.

I might have some pics of my car right after i sprayed the tinted sealer on it before i basecoated it. Some of my frends thought it looked cool, but it didint work for me.