PDA

View Full Version : 1JZGTTE swap

sLoWnStEaDy
02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
after getting a bunch of "ditch the rotary" comments from here and a few other places, Well... every whaere except club RX7 actually. I have just been thinking about engine swaps for the RX7. i dont think i wanna do a SBC, or really even a SBF. I founf a website that seems to have some pretty cheap engines for sale and just started thinking. Plus the T/A is on ebay, so i may have some extra cash shortly, and i also have a complete (minus heads) 383 stroker i may be selling.

for example i found this for $590:

Item De.scription
• IMPORTED FROM JAPAN
• Make: Toyota
• Engine Code: 1JZGTTE
• Year: 91-93
• Valve Train: DOHC 6cyl. 24 Valves
• Horse Power: 280hp@6200rpm
• Torque: 315lbs@4000rpm
• Displacement: 2491cc
• Mileage: Approximately 25-35 Thousand Miles
• Condition: Best
• Included: Complete Motor
Complete Head & Block
Distributor, Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold, Alternator
Power Steering Pump
Fuel Rail, Injectors
Throttle Body, Turbo
Cam Angle Sensor
Turbochargers, Turbo manifolds

just curious as to wether or not a straight six will fit in an RX7

Stutz
02-16-2007, 07:35 PM
A complete motor for $590??

sLoWnStEaDy
02-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, They seem to have some GREAT deals! not to mention shipping for engine/trans is only $170

2JZ twin turbo with trans $1500

RB20 with trans $700

RB25 with trans $900

SR20DET with trans $790

Funny, the 4G63T's are sellin for $1400+ without trans

they have complete cars too, like this RB25 Skyline for $3900!!!
http://i84.imagethrust.com/i/865437/wow.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

Drifte
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
thats pretty cool stuff. I dont know about how much trust you should put into their mileage tho. I have visited similar sites for japanese parts, even thought of getting myself a skyling but theirs a lot of hastle involved. from what ive seen of the 1jz its not gonna fit in an rx-7, but i cant say for sure. its a pretty big motor tho. takes up more space than 1-2-3uz's which are v8's.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-17-2007, 08:01 AM
well, i asked over on RX7Club and apparently there was a 2nd gen that sold on ebay which had a 1JZ. of course i cant see or find it as it is sold so...

what about some of those other engines?

like the RB20DET or the RB20? there are a few different choices for the price i would spend... They do have a 13B RE twin turbo which i assume would probably botl right up as the car currently has a 13B.

SLVR7
02-17-2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=624596

DustinsDuster
02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=624596

im not a member of the site, and its asking me to log on.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
nothing worth looking at, just some pictures of Jay-Z crapped into an engine bay...

HOWEVER, i now know that it will fit:
http://i84.imagethrust.com/i/868429/fc2jz800x600.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

sLoWnStEaDy
02-17-2007, 08:52 PM
side question: How does the RB20/RB25 turbo engines compare to the 1JZ/2JZ?
they are selling an RB20 w/trans for $700 and an RB25 w/trans for $900. Like before they are complete swaps, wiring hanress, ECM, Trans etc....

Drifte
02-17-2007, 10:52 PM
i dont recall specs off my head. google skyline engine specs, s14 engine specs, and supra as well. that'll get you googles of info.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-18-2007, 07:51 AM
from what i have found, the RB20DET makes almost 100HP less than a 1JZ...
i think i will probably stick with the 1JZ if/when i do it. Now as far as trannies go, there is a 7M GTE 5 speed trans that came from a supra as well, so i assume it will bolt up to the 1JZ? I dont know, i think $800 for a complete 1JZ swap (with trans) is a pretty damn good deal. Hell i should be able to get like $500 for the 13B, harness, ecm and trans which would cover over half the cost already. Plus i found a guy who actualy sells motor mounts to swap a 1JZ into an S4/S5 so it seems like it would be rather "easy".

krustindumm
02-18-2007, 09:47 AM
1JZ's are front sump engines, If a 2G RX7 is anything like a 1G (which it looks like because of the location of the front wheels) you will have trouble clearing your front X-member and steering rack with the oil pan.

V8's barely fit lengthwise because the chassis was designed around the extremely compact 2-rotor engine, and a I-6 is significantly longer and taller than a V8.

And besides all of that, the JZ & RB series engines are all iron block designes. If you can get the engine in the car without firewall modification, your going to have a hell of alot of weight in front of the front wheels. It will totally destroy the RX7's weight distribution. The more compact V-block would be the best match for the chassis.

Oh, and FYI, I doubt you will be able to get an RB engine to fit. The exhaust exits on the left side of the engine, so the turbo will want to be where your steering shaft is.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-18-2007, 12:17 PM
oh yeah forgot that about the RB's...
So does anyone know how i can find out if a tranny from a 7MGTE will work on a 1JZ?

SLVR7
02-18-2007, 04:26 PM
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=618906 is a 2jz swap, but from what I understand it is almost the same. May be some links in there that may help you.

boxmakingman
02-18-2007, 06:05 PM
an r154 from 7m will bolt to a 1j with a 1j bell housing cost:$350 or more.

not all 1j's are front sump, in fact majority of the them in the states are mid sump.

I will give you $3 if you finish this project. I have yet to see one of your projects complete, or have the chance of ever being complete.

My prediction is, even if you get 1j FC it wont run well, or it will blow up, you are so reliant on things being cheap. Cheap in equals cheap out.

good luck.

krustindumm
02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
5.0 swap + nitrous + tires = 12's for under $2000

how can you go wrong?

black88gt
02-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah, They seem to have some GREAT deals! not to mention shipping for engine/trans is only $170

2JZ twin turbo with trans $1500

RB20 with trans $700

RB25 with trans $900

SR20DET with trans $790

Funny, the 4G63T's are sellin for $1400+ without trans

they have complete cars too, like this RB25 Skyline for $3900!!!

what site is this?

DustinsDuster
02-18-2007, 09:15 PM

how can you go wrong?

people have done that before, and keith seems to put a lot of emphasis on having to be completely different. doesnt seem to matter there wouldnt be another one like it anywhere around here...

Drifte
02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
they were saying at the cheapest it would cost you 12k to do. And requires a custom oil pan. the 2jz w/ 6spd weighed 750lbs, the 13b closer to 300. everyone on that site suggests an ls1.

TbTalon94
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I know your emphasis on being different Keith..but your kind of stepping up your game when it comes with motor choices here. All these motors can make awesome power, but you aren't putting them in the right application. What happened to your Fiero with the supercharged v6?

What i would do is get an LS1 and do a few bolt ons. It maintains great weight distribution...it is extremely reliable...relatively cheap (compared to rb20, 1jz, 2jz, etc.) and parts are A LOT easier to find.

a 1 or 2jz would be cool but I don't think you know what your getting yourself into when it comes to parts. They are expensive motors and parts are relatively hard to find. Ask Dave (boxmakingman). Plus the tuning aspect comes into play. Tuning turbocharged cars are a little different then v-8 carburated. Specially an Inline-6 making some good power.

Just stick with a v-8 platform man. It's totally worth it in the end and will be much easier, more reliable and cheaper.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-19-2007, 02:41 PM
an r154 from 7m will bolt to a 1j with a 1j bell housing cost:$350 or more.

not all 1j's are front sump, in fact majority of the them in the states are mid sump.

I will give you $3 if you finish this project. I have yet to see one of your projects complete, or have the chance of ever being complete.

My prediction is, even if you get 1j FC it wont run well, or it will blow up, you are so reliant on things being cheap. Cheap in equals cheap out.

good luck.

the only project i havent finished is the Trans Am. The fiero is done and has been "done" for quite some time. I did however decide not to turbo it just because i want it to be my "daily driver" in the summer and didnt want to worry about it blowing up or anything. It has wide 17" chrome wheels and is RWD, you didnt actualy expect me to drive it in the winter did you? We'll just have to see what happens. as far as cost goes. engine/trans/wiring/ecm etc... under $1000. i have some fab skills and have a few friends who are in their 40s and have been doing it for years (in case you havent noticed). I was told by like 20+ people that a 3.4 DOHC would never fit in a fiero and that even IF it did i would never getting it running and i would have to have custom axles, trans adapter, etc etc... proved 'em wrong once and will do it again.

And reliant on things being cheap? why do you think i live ion a $200 a month apartment? because i rent a garage and spend all my money on cars. Searching for a good deal isnt "being cheap" why pay more than you have to?

krustindumm
02-19-2007, 03:23 PM
parts that last cost more than parts that don't.

Drifte
02-19-2007, 05:21 PM
i still want to see what the fiero can do. and looks like finished.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Im pullin it out of the garage this weekend so i can throw the RX7 in there and put on the new fender/headlight/bumper. I'll get some pics of the fiero then. It still needs paint so it isnt COMPLETELY done but besides a little bit of body work its good. Still gotta put the front drop springs on too, i forgot about that...

sLoWnStEaDy
02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
OK, i have talked to quite a few people now. Swaps ranging from 4G63T, SR20DET, KA24DE, LS1, and SBC. So far everyone is happy with their choice except the SBC because it is carbed and he gets beat by stock TII RX7s. The LS1 is BY FAR the most expensive swap! the others where all done for under $500 not including engine/trans/ wiring etc... pretty much just got custom drive shafts made and fabbed up some motor mounts. Some used stand alone and some just ran power to the stock ECU. Anyhow all in all i am gonna go for it. If nothing else i will have a 1JZ i could easily sell for much more than i am going to pay, but i dont forsee too many problems with the people i know, and the overwhelming amount of information and people on the internet that are willing to help.

how can you go wrong?

OK, but for the same price, if not cheaper i can have a 300+hp 1JZ with more potential and would be WAY more unique. Plus bottles are for babies!

I do respect MOST of your guys' opinnions however if i didnt do something just because other people didnt "like" the idea, well that just wouldnt be me. C'mon people seriously if you could swap a 1JZ into one of your cars for $1500 +/- your telling me you wouldnt do it?

Drifte
02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
for 1500 yes. but i really doubt it comes out to that.

Stg4raddo
02-19-2007, 08:29 PM
i doubt you can even get a motor for that. then your going to want to switch the turbos on the 1jz bad things happen to the stock turbos at like 18 psi.

you going to have to make engine mounts. trans mount, custom drive shaft, toyota wiring into a mazda = PITA so standalone would be a smart choice. then youll want gauges etc to tune every thing right

Drifte
02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
my estimate is 5k in ebay parts. assuming you run a totally stock complete motor. gauges are gonna be a bitch too i think.

boxmakingman
02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
if it could be done for 5k that would be good.

but if your a hack I suppose it could be done cheaper.
wait until you need to find a a gasket or small part, you wont be going to autozone or the junkyard, but you might be lucky able to special order it from the dealer.

that and I don't understand the your mantra of doing it just to be unique, I think thats stupid, there should be a good reason for doing something, to be different is not one of those reasons.

oh and its 1jzgte not 1jzgtte

DustinsDuster
02-20-2007, 06:33 AM
C'mon people seriously if you could swap a 1JZ into one of your cars for $1500 +/- your telling me you wouldnt do it?

yes, thats what im telling you.

krustindumm
02-20-2007, 06:47 AM
OK, i have talked to quite a few people now. Swaps ranging from 4G63T, SR20DET, KA24DE, LS1, and SBC. So far everyone is happy with their choice except the SBC because it is carbed and he gets beat by stock TII RX7s. The LS1 is BY FAR the most expensive swap! the others where all done for under $500 not including engine/trans/ wiring etc... pretty much just got custom drive shafts made and fabbed up some motor mounts. Some used stand alone and some just ran power to the stock ECU. Anyhow all in all i am gonna go for it. If nothing else i will have a 1JZ i could easily sell for much more than i am going to pay, but i dont forsee too many problems with the people i know, and the overwhelming amount of information and people on the internet that are willing to help.

[quote="krustindumm";p="121349":b80fe]5.0 swap + nitrous + tires = 12's for under $2000

how can you go wrong?

OK, but for the same price, if not cheaper i can have a 300+hp 1JZ with more potential and would be WAY more unique. Plus bottles are for babies!

I do respect MOST of your guys' opinnions however if i didnt do something just because other people didnt "like" the idea, well that just wouldnt be me. C'mon people seriously if you could swap a 1JZ into one of your cars for $1500 +/- your telling me you wouldnt do it?[/quote:b80fe]

The 5.0 motorset & nitrous kit come out to less than the price of the 1JZ-GTE engine by itself. Now with the 1JZ you need to get a stand alone or run the yota gauge cluster (ECM needs the VSS input, VSS is in the gauge cluster). Even with the mount kit for the 5.0 I think it is still cheaper than the 1JZ engine by itself. Not to mention, if your paying less than $1800 for the motorset (engine/rans/wiring/ecu) and your buying it from an importer, it's probably the one the boat used for an anchor.

black88gt
02-20-2007, 10:40 AM
also think about costs down the road. 1j and 2j are ridiculously expensive to build, especially compared to a sbc or sbf

DustinsDuster
02-20-2007, 05:03 PM
also think about costs down the road. 1j and 2j are ridiculously expensive to build, especially compared to a sbc or sbf

and parts are MUCH more plentiful and cheaper to fix when something breaks.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-20-2007, 06:46 PM
This isnt something i am going to be doing like right now or probably even anytime soon. Like i said before i am going to wait until my engine blows before i do anything. Plus i happened to find a TII RX7 today that i can get dirt cheap, so for now i think i will probably end up getting that, for the draveshaft, rearend, trans then have the motor (13BT) rebuilt and bridge ported and run that for a little while. This will be something where one day i will just show up with a 1JZ in my RX7. There isnt going to be a build thread or anything like that,

Poptart
02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Okay, so please inform me on this site??

I am looking for a 1JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTTE, hell...

For $590 dollars I will buy 2 and put that shit in both my supras...

Please tell me the site!! <3 you forever

Ken

Drifte
02-21-2007, 04:19 PM
^ you should show off some pics of your cars.

Poptart
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
My car is a stock 7MGE, nothing interesting >.>

I don't want to mod out a 7MGE...heh

I am getting money to get a 1JZ-GTTE...........

I need help putting one in, if this guy gives me the website, I will buy that stuff right away.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
poptart: i will PM you the site

well, may be not. You dont have PM as an option....

Poptart
02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
If you have AIM

Message me, my screen name is..

LotanTheIrishman

Thanks,
Ken