PDA

View Full Version : Someone school me!!

sLoWnStEaDy
02-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Picked up a 1990 RX7. 13B witha 5-speed. However i dont really know anything at all about rotary engines. I have joined RX7club.com and have been reading through there, but i figure askin around cant hurt. I like different opinnions and everything so....

Stutz
02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Put a sbc in it, thats all u ever need to know.

Luminatorz34
02-09-2007, 03:57 AM
um keith. will this car be the candidate for that 383 u have??? :) thatd would be tits

sLoWnStEaDy
02-09-2007, 06:26 AM
WELL, that was the original intentions, but then i found out the car was actualy running/driving through the auction, So for now i will probably just turbo it and wait until i HAVE to put a motor in it.

TbTalon94
02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Keith...on rotaries (specially turbo), tuning is everything. So unless your really good at tuning turbo/fuel injection then i wouldn't try. Just throw a SBC in it and be done.

lil krumm
02-09-2007, 02:00 PM
get some nitrous for it, i hear they respond to it very well. but i guess after a few 100shots then engine starts to get pissed off.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Keith...on rotaries (specially turbo), tuning is everything. So unless your really good at tuning turbo/fuel injection then i wouldn't try. Just throw a SBC in it and be done.

dont reall plan to do that unless the current engine goes. As far as tuning, i dont know shit about that, however i am willing to pay someone to do it for me :bigthumb:
Im headin over tomarow morning to see what it will do. The people i bought it from (corner of hawkeye down rd. and Jst. same people with the green 2G talon) said it went through the auction as a "running and driving car" but when they went to start it up and load it on their trailer, the battery was dead.

SLVR7
02-09-2007, 08:20 PM
get some nitrous for it, i hear they respond to it very well. but i guess after a few 100shots then engine starts to get pissed off.

only follow this advise if you want to replace the engine.

SaNdMaNsSi
02-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Well...eating babies is also a bad idea, but they taste good and make a great meal.....

boxmakingman
02-10-2007, 03:25 PM
[quote="lil krumm";p="120905":eac41]get some nitrous for it, i hear they respond to it very well. but i guess after a few 100shots then engine starts to get pissed off.

only follow this advise if you want to replace the engine.[/quote:eac41]

there is no need to follow that advice, it is going to need replacement, its just a matter of time.

DustinsDuster
02-10-2007, 04:00 PM
there is no need to follow that advice, it is going to need replacement, its just a matter of time.

kinda what i was thinking.....

sLoWnStEaDy
02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I've been playin with it for a few hours. My garage is full so sadly i am outside toying with it : (
Put new plugs in it, fresh fuel fixed a fuel leak, put in a good battery. Some guys over on RX&club told me to listen for some "CHUGS" to make sure the apex seals are good, from what i am told, they seem to be. Doesnt seem to be any spark, so im checking into that right now.

On a side note, i got the car up in the air and everything underneath is FANTASTIC!!! not a spot of rust, no big dents or anything of the sort (thats a first) Also the interior is in GREAT shape (however it is blue....) all in all i say i got a GREAT deal, eve if the motor is junk im pretty stoked!

sLoWnStEaDy
02-10-2007, 07:00 PM
anyone know what is involved in doing a SBC swap?

the main thing that would keep me form doing that would be i would have to find a trans, and if i found a trans then i would most likely end up putting the dang thing in the trans am instead since no one wants to buy it. I did find a couple TH400 trans' for $75 each though... nothing will be happening anytime really soon, just thinkin about the future.

SLVR7
02-11-2007, 07:32 AM
torquecentral.com has everything you need to know about the swap.

RandomHero
02-11-2007, 08:45 AM
haha check this shit out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-Rx ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-Rx-7-Limousine_W0QQitemZ280080126019QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 6327QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

DustinsDuster
02-11-2007, 11:43 AM
$170,000 to build that monstrosity? thats fuckin rediculous

logans dad
02-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Did I see you in it around 16th ave today or is it 18th that goes toward 6th st. Then you turned into what looked like an alley? Is it white? If it was you it was smoking real bad. Maybe around 3pm.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
YUP, that was me. The smokin was from me puttin a wee little bit of oil in the plug holes. stopped smokin after about a minute.

not too bad, bought a non running car for dirt cheap, spent $20 and rund just fine now. Now i just need a pass. fender and may be a front bumper.

logans dad
02-11-2007, 05:45 PM
You come around the corner and got on it when I saw you and it looked like it took off good. I only saw the smoke when you got on it. It wasn't a lot but could see it. Are you Sara L's brother?

Ryan, from Import Evolution just did a SBC swap in one.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-11-2007, 06:25 PM
You come around the corner and got on it when I saw you and it looked like it took off good. I only saw the smoke when you got on it. It wasn't a lot but could see it. Are you Sara L's brother?

Ryan, from Import Evolution just did a SBC swap in one.

yeah, i was really suprised how fast it is. I really think it would have spanked the TA! has a little exhaust leak, but thats about it.

and no, i only have 1 sister Amanda S. then there is my mothers other daughter, Stephanie S.

Ricky
02-11-2007, 07:36 PM
wow amazing waist of money. but neat idea kinda

Drifte
02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
lets see some picks! somewhere on here is an sbc build in an rx7, that import evo guy.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Couldnt get any real good shots, my camera dont hav th ebrightest flash. Does need a little work, passenger fender and headlight door to be exact. Also could use a front bumper but im not gonna worry about that right now because it will be getting a body kit in a month or so.

http://i79.imagethrust.com/t/852602/rx7001.jpg (http://i79.imagethrust.com/images/3zNE/view-image/rx-7--001.html) http://i79.imagethrust.com/t/852603/rx7002.jpg (http://i79.imagethrust.com/images/3zNF/view-image/rx-7--002.html)

69gt4speed
02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
I know u guys are chevy guys but a sbf fits very nice in them also. I forget his name that had the carbon fibred hood rx-7. I raced him a few times pretty much same result. Had a new mtr and whatever.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
really? well then IF i ever do an engien swap it'll be a Fox Body 5.0 HO

DustinsDuster
02-12-2007, 07:19 PM

i dont see why. you have a Chevy 383 sitting around, and not only do they make conversion motor mounts, im also pretty positive they even make headers and other things for the swap. size-wise, SBF and SBC are pretty much the same size...

black88gt
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM

or grab an explorer/mountaineer motor. nicer heads and intake(gt40 or gt40p depending on the year). shop around you can find one a couple hundred bucks, maybe less. theres one out at a1 imports, really low mileage(i know its under 60k, dont know exact). guy wants quite a bit for it but you might be able to bring him down.

black88gt
02-12-2007, 07:21 PM
[quote="sLoWnStEaDy";p="121038":28063]really? well then IF i ever do an engien swap it'll be a Fox Body 5.0 HO

i dont see why. you have a Chevy 383 sitting around, and not only do they make conversion motor mounts, im also pretty positive they even make headers and other things for the swap. size-wise, SBF and SBC are pretty much the same size...[/quote:28063]

ya if you have a 383 sitting might as well use it

69gt4speed
02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
^^^^
Ditto cause by the time you get as old as me then u have way too much stuff... And it sounds a very easy swap. Maybe the rotary would be worth some $$. I don't know squat about them, besides that russian guy was a long ways back, he said he ran hi 12's, very good imho. He was a good sport about it.. It provided me some entertainment, I was happy. Now with a 383 probably different story as it would weigh around 3k#.

Ninesecsnake
02-13-2007, 08:15 AM
There is one thing I know about rotorary engines...remove them as fast as you can, expect it to die very fast as soon as you add boost. I know that comment will get me some heat, but I am around every type of fast car you can think of, and a turbo rotary seems to be the problem child of the performance world. We had a very built three rotor at the shop, as soon as we added a turbo its life expectancy was cut in half. There is a reason all the high horsepower guys remove the oil injection and go with premixed fuel. Just my opinions but a SBC or SBF is the way to go.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
There is one thing I know about rotorary engines...remove them as fast as you can, expect it to die very fast as soon as you add boost.

Thats OK. The plan is to drive it for a little while as is then slap on a turbo, injectors, and FMIC. Then just run it until it blows up that way i HAVE to put a new engine in it, at which time i will just build a 400HP small block and drop it in with a WC T-5 trans. As far as what engine i am going to use, i gues i do already have most of a 383, just need some heads, pistons and rods. I will just have to see if i can return my turbo cam and get a nice strong NA cam instead.

Drifte
02-13-2007, 04:39 PM
i would seriously just clean the car up, get it looking good, and resell. The last thing i would do is turbo it, and ive heard this from many experienced rx-7 builders. Put your money towards suspension, make it look good. Then if your bored with the power or the motor dies, swap in your sbc. It looks like a solid car, you say some front end damage, i'd fix that up and daily drive that pretty bitch; i mean im jealous of that ride!