PDA

View Full Version : lookin at a welder

sLoWnStEaDy
01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
what do you guys think about this welder?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91811 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91811)

I know its not the best, but should get the job done right? Probably just use it for some body work (patch panels, shaving etc...) roll cage, make my turbo headers, stuff like that.

Scott
01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
I would go with a actual MIG welder for body work, that welder your looking at would be useless as a TIG welder. About the only thing you could do with that is stick "arc" weld, that kind of welding sucks unless your fixing a tractor or something. Get your self a good MIG if you want something universal and easy to use, expect about 1g for a decent one. At least get a flux core wire feed for body work.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
WELL, my GF wants to buy me one for V-day. Only looking to spend like $250

Right now i have one of those gasless, flux wire welders from ebay. damn thing isnt worth what i paid for shipping ($20).

Scott
01-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah I hear ya man, I bought one of those cheap flux-cores once. Then I went out and spent 2g's on a good one, like I said earlier welders arent really worth a shit untill you get into the somewhat expensive ones

logans dad
01-19-2007, 04:56 PM
buy a variable amp adjust welder. The kind you get from a place like on first ave that sells welding gas and supplies. The type like tractor supply has is a 4 click amp setting and sucks. You should be able to get a lincoln from like Cr welding for around 250. Then you have to get a gas bottle for it or use flux wire. They are only good to weld up to a 1/4 inch steel tho.

Dont buy a click set amp. You want a variable. You can only get them from a welding supplies store.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
yeah, my old man works at CR weld supply, so i can get stuff at 10% over cost... ill have to run down there and check it out. I was thinking all there stuff was like $1000s.

logans dad
01-19-2007, 08:37 PM
yeah, my old man works at CR weld supply, so i can get stuff at 10% over cost... ill have to run down there and check it out. I was thinking all there stuff was like $1000s.

I bought there 110 wire welder and if I had to do it over I would of got the 220. think the 220 is like around 350.00 or 400.00. The 110 is nice with a bottle if your doing sheet metal welding.

Rollin on Dubs
01-21-2007, 06:13 AM
any good mig welder is going to be over 800 bucks. i think even a 110 mig will be that much. But i dont think you would be out much to try that little tig from harbor freight. I mean its 130 amps so it will weld pretty thick sheet metal. It sucks because it is only DC straigt polarity so you wont be able to do any Aluminum. But 130 Dc amps should be more than enough for you to do some Headers out of Mild steel or stainless.

logans dad
01-21-2007, 08:13 AM
like I said a click tig sucks tho. You don't have a variable adjustment.

Not trying to turn this into a flame war but he just want something to do headers and sheet metal. The ajustable anps setting welders are a lot nicer for just a few more bucks. You can fine tune the setting for like sheet metal. We just weldded up some taps on our front fenders and quarter panels to mount the door and it welded nice.

I have welded 1/4 inch up pretty good with the 110 I have.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-21-2007, 12:00 PM
the cheapest one, with the 10% over cost discount was over $400 still, not including bottle gas etc...

he said to check out at theisens or menards... if there is nothing there i may just go with that HF one and see what happens. If it is completely junk, i have wasted more money so....

logans dad
01-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Ive had mine for like 3 or 4 years and didnt think they where that high.

I still say save a 150 and go with the variable amp adjust.