PDA

View Full Version : My Talon

Luminatorz34
12-24-2006, 05:13 PM
well, we all see Colton and my old project the suzuki. so why not see his old project, my Talon. not a whole lot has changed since i got it. basically been pushed around the yard alot. and opened the hood a few times. haha. but i have acquired a 1990 6 bolt motor. i took it apart and found ice in the bottom end. so i immediatly started tracking down a rebuild kit. i only needed to do a re ring. so thats where i sit now. i got the kit and put the bottom end together. and then got stuck on what to do with the balance shafts. so thats where the lil booger sits. i think im settled on removing the baance shafts. but i need to do more research. but yeah here are some current pics of the car and motor. more to come

NickTsGTP
12-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Nice setup. Keep us updated on how it goes in.

Luminatorz34
12-24-2006, 05:31 PM
here the actual car

Ricky
12-24-2006, 11:23 PM
ahhh good ol times in that car :(

Drifte
12-26-2006, 10:26 AM
yeah that thing goes way back

DustinsDuster
12-26-2006, 04:25 PM
so is it an AWD car? or just FWD?

Stutz
12-26-2006, 04:59 PM
so is it an AWD car? or just FWD?

im pretty sure it was fwd

Ricky
12-26-2006, 05:17 PM
yeah its fwd. it was a non turbo that got turboed by trevor

DustinsDuster
12-26-2006, 05:24 PM
i see an AWD candidate! thats a damn nice looking car!

Luminatorz34
12-26-2006, 09:11 PM
it is a nice looking car. wayyy nicer than the laser i had. this body has a few dents that need to be worked with, and both the front fenders need work. the passenger side started hitting the door when u open it. and the drivers side is off on color by a shade or 2. but other than that the body is really nice

TbTalon94
12-27-2006, 07:24 AM
man that car goes WAYYY back, farther then a lot of you know.

Luminatorz34
12-27-2006, 09:06 AM
well hopefully i get the chance to say that this car goes wayyy back. as im hooked on it like a drug of some kind. all i do now is look for parts and research the living crap out of it. i will make certain my laser experience doesnt happen to this talon. but im getting some go fast parts for her next week. still no turbo :( ut ill be a few steps closer to getting it running

Luminatorz34
12-30-2006, 02:19 PM
getting vcloser now. im down to a small list of parts needed now. just need injectors, turbo, and a stupid ass knock sensor. should be all that i need. then put this beast in the big hole that is available

DustinsDuster
12-30-2006, 03:02 PM
i think youre going to expirience the same FWD problems Trevor had with his old car. still should be fun from a roll though.

Luminatorz34
12-30-2006, 03:09 PM
and what would those problems be?? traction problems? i kinda guessed id have that, witht he 550cc injectors im getting and the evo3 b16g turbo im getting. and then alot of tning with a wideband,safc, and other crap involved. but still. haha. im having fun this time around

DustinsDuster
12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
yeah, traction problems were really bad in his old talon. if i remember right, he couldnt get better than a 2.5 second 60' time.

Drifte
12-30-2006, 09:54 PM
that was mostly the clutch at that time. and steve i got a brand new knock sensor sitting here :)

traction was surprisingly good IF you feathered the clutch.

Luminatorz34
12-30-2006, 10:35 PM
whatcha want for that knock sensor? i wouldnt need one. if i didnt break mine :( i pulled on the plug to get it off that bracket. and broke the wires right out of the plug. so gooooo me haha

Luminatorz34
01-26-2007, 07:39 PM
alright heres an update..its been a while been doing alot of working lately. and havent been able to work on the talon...here she is all together...guess what, yes im still needing a turbo. but i may have a good damn deal in the works so we'll see. i shaved the valve cover. just got the major scratches out of it. but i got the motor together as i am crossing my fingers on a motor install tomorrow. so i needed a valve cover on the motor. as i can always take back off to finish the polishing process with a finer grade sand paper...it was a bitch to get that cover where it is today.i can see alot of time going to be involved in this thing. but here are the pics. enjoy

ZacFields
01-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Engine looks good man. Very clean looking.

Is that Trevor/Colton's old talon? I only ask because it's the same color and looks to have the same door opening problem.

Zac

Luminatorz34
01-26-2007, 08:12 PM
yes it is trevor and coltons old talon. i traded my old suzuki quadracer even up for the talon.. then found this motor which is a 90 6bolt for $50 bucks.. had ice on the pistons and bottom end when i got it. so i tore her down and re-ringed and new bearings thru out. and cleaned the piss out of it haha. im still not happy with it being dirty but i want this thing runnig asap. so yeah plans change

Talon92Fox
01-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Heh, thats my old intake manifold. =)

Luminatorz34
01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
umm...are you sure? i got the head and mani together from bryan (belittle) then i took the intake down and shot it black

Drifte
01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
lookin good. i recognize some parts.

TbTalon94
01-30-2007, 07:35 AM
The 2.5+ 60ft times were all clutch issues. I had a 4-puck disk in there that was a shitty disk and the pads were either worn so bad or bent and the pop-rivets were hitting the flywheel causing some weird shit to happen.

Otherwise traction was great. Even with 25psi on the v-trim ;)

Talon92Fox
01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
umm...are you sure? i got the head and mani together from bryan (belittle) then i took the intake down and shot it black
Must not be then, I had an identical intake manifold that I never ended up putting on the Eclipse so I think I sold it to Colton.

Luminatorz34
01-30-2007, 06:30 PM
umm yeah...not even close..if u look at page 1. youll see the intake silver still. i took it off cleaned it and shot it black...and i never got a intake from colton. so yeah...this one came from bryan. and the other 1 i had came on this motor originally. so someone stuck their foot in their mouth huh? or how would that term apply to typing? but yeah. its not yours son

Drifte
01-30-2007, 06:41 PM
actually someone took mine. i never bought any just had a bunch of spares.

Luminatorz34
02-02-2007, 09:25 PM
well. i finally got somwhere tonite. about freaking time. well. youll see.

Luminatorz34
02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
and yes...if you look under the tranny in the first pic. that is tranny fluid :(. i took coltons advice on leaving the half shafts in and undo the front suspension and it would give me enough room to play with to get the half shafts back in... i shoulda done it the way i was taught. by taking the half shafts completly out. cuz this way caused me to fuck up 2 output seals. so yes it will be coming back out :( but luckily i happen to have an extra tranny ;) i love having extra parts.

Luminatorz34
02-03-2007, 03:32 PM
ok. today was just a shitty ass day. seemed like i did a bunch of pissy shit. but got nowhere. it all started with trying to get the output seals out of my spare tranny. being as it was nice and cold i tore the seals up pulling them out. went to autozone try to get new ones and they dont have them and cant order them. so i went back home to try to get the lug nuts off. the lug nuts require a key. but coloton for some reason had 2 different sets of lug nuts on it and the tool he gave me only fit the rear set of nuts. so the front i had no way of getting off. so i was forced to force a socket on using a trust 20 pound sledge hammer and do all 10 that way talk about sucking major ass. i got all 10 done is a good 2 hours. and broke my fucking visae on the 8th one due to really having to crank down on the vise to hold the socket to pound them back out. so the last 2 i had to use the cutting torch and melt the nut out of it and fucked the socket up on the 10th. so yeah im not happy at all. i got the wheels off then tried getting the axle nut off but the fucking cotter pins broke off to where i cant grab them with any of my splier so im forced to get a big ass wrench and a long ass breaker bar and hope i can turn the nut and break the cotter pin out of it. it is nice having a step dad that own his own trucking company and has alll the toold to work on big rigs. their the same as our car tools only like 4x bigger so i dont think ill have a problem. but after breaking my vise (which isnt a cheapo remeber used for truck parts and shit so its a monster, not cheap) and tearing my self up beating the piss out of the lug nuts. i gave up on the car for the day. not a good day. whew im done venting for now.

DustinsDuster
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
keep your head up man, without bad days, the good ones wouldnt seem quite as nice....

Luminatorz34
02-04-2007, 06:51 PM
yeah today is a much better day. will have pics and updates later

Luminatorz34
02-04-2007, 07:20 PM
ok like i said earlier...today was a much better day. got alot accomplished. got my front end fixed. got my tranny leak fixed(half shaft was sticking out halfway, causing the seal to be pushed down leaking all over) got the motor bolted in with exception of 1 upper mount. and started my plug and play on the wiring. so yeah heres some updates. enjoy. lemme know how im doing

DustinsDuster
02-04-2007, 07:39 PM
you still wanna trade me Air/fuel gauges?

Luminatorz34
02-04-2007, 07:42 PM
yeah sure. lemme know when and how

Drifte
02-04-2007, 07:48 PM
lookin great. dont forget to polish everything.

JustinS
02-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Take some simple green to that trans case, it's dirty as hell! Good looking project though, nice to see it come back to life and not to a junkyard somewhere.

Luminatorz34
02-04-2007, 08:05 PM
i know. i hate the tranny being that dirty. i took the block in to work and high pressure washed and steamed it, and then shot it high temp black. but never got around to doing the tranny. i was gonna shoot it black also. but i know what im doing now. to where i can always pull the tranny sometime when im bored and redo it. its too cold to do it now. and i wanna hear it run. the motor isnt coming out anytime soon haha

DustinsDuster
02-04-2007, 08:24 PM
just let me know when youre in tiown next and i'll come meet up with you somewhere..

Luminatorz34
02-04-2007, 08:45 PM
will do

Ricky
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
im glad its coming along. this car is made to run around and live out the rest of its life in a good home. good work.

Luminatorz34
03-12-2007, 04:56 PM
ok i did a lil something extra to the talon. aparently im insane, or nuts, or crazy for doing this but oh well. i wanted a sun roof in the talon. and thats what i got

DustinsDuster
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
i would be a bit worried about that Steve. at some point in my cars life, someone decided to add a sunroof. its gonna be a real chore to get it to seal correctly. the one in my car didnt, and it ruin the roof.

Ricky
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
hope that works

Drifte
03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
that looks great. but like you mentioned before, i still think your nutty and insane.

looks really good tho.

Luminatorz34
03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
my t-tops in the camaro spoiled me big time. and now i kinda half ass feel smothered or something in a vehicle without some sort of glass in the roof. so yeah i gave myself the sunroof in the talon. i was gonna offset like u told me to do colton. u know the conversation we had when i told u i was just going to do it, and u sai i need to offset it over the drivers side so i can stick my head out of it cuz im too tall for the car? well i tried and it wouldnt work. lol

Luminatorz34
03-25-2007, 07:43 PM
ok did a few more things today...i have POWER. electrical power that is. haha. got my indiglo gauges installed and my gauges. here they are

DustinsDuster
03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
looks awesome steve. those gauges really glow in the dark. maybe i'll have to reconsider my decision togo with all Ultralite gauges

Luminatorz34
03-25-2007, 07:58 PM
yeah i love the ultra lite gauges...simple hookups and their bright, but also clear to read. i have stock cluster in the camaro and replaced the stock white bulbs with blue leds. their bright, but kinda hazy. but i like te way the talon turned out. i love blue interior lights, so the safc2 i got will still blend in with my blue theme :)

CROWN
03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
looks just like when i had em, glad they turned out for ya.

Luminatorz34
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
i got myself that there on of them there spinny things that go woooooosh. and PSSSSSH when u let of them foot feet pedals haha. i got my evo3 b16g today. its spotless. but im having aproblem with the wastegate flap sealing. right now with the actuator on the flap doesnt seal. it has like a 1/16th inch gap. or basically just enough to see light thru it, and spin the flap all the way around. i pull the actuaotr off and theres like a 1/4 inch gap between the actuator and housing with the flap sealed shut. any ideas on this? is the rod bent? the bracket bent? or i need a different actuator for the thing?

Drifte
04-09-2007, 06:14 PM
issue was flapper not shutting all the way. anyone have any ideas?

i havnt looked at a turbo in a while sadly. and dont remember my 16g at all :(

Luminatorz34
04-22-2007, 01:11 PM
well, today was the first time in 5 months that the talon has seen real sunlight. it made it outta the garage today. haha i needed to clean the talon mess accumulating in the garage, so i pushed the talon out. cleaned the dust and grime off of it and snapped some pics. its near completion. i need a top radiator line, and a throttle body,and we will see what this thing witll do

Ricky
04-22-2007, 03:51 PM
looking good cant wait till this thing is running again

Drifte
04-22-2007, 05:54 PM
does look pretty good. subs look awesome back their.

TbTalon94
04-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Yea i'm pretty sure that's not an evo16g. Unless they swapped on a different turbine housing...that's no evo16g turbine housing. Also looks like it has a 34mm flapper. Did you take any pictures of the turbine inlet?

Everything else looks fantastic. That fender looks good, once you get it cleared it'll look great! Great job so far!

Luminatorz34
04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
it may be an evo3 b16g. cuz it has the alternating fins on it. ill grab a pic of it

Drifte
04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
http://vfaq.com/proj-pics/porting/6cm-7cm_turbos2.jpg
7cm 16g turbine housing compared to 14b. more obvious why the 16g is used so much.

i cant say for sure. been a while since i looked.

http://vfaq.com/proj-pics/turbo/rebuild-37.jpg
14b on the left, 16g on the right.

16g alternating blades (inducer/exducer)

"you can at least tell the various turbine housings apart - 6cm housings have 060 cast in them, 7cm have 070, and 8cm have 080 cast in them."

TbTalon94
04-23-2007, 09:13 AM
This is what an evo3 looks like. See how the turbine housing has rounded edges. It's completely different then the turbine housing that is on your car turbo.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/images/T/EVO%2016G.jpg

*taken straight from slowboyracing's evo16g ad*

Drifte
04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
that is interesting. he may have a cheap one, not mhi. probably an ebay model. so its maybe a 16g turbine housing. more than likely not an e316g... maybe small 16g

to many freakin options.

TbTalon94
04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
the ebay models still have that rounded evo3 turbine housing. It's just made of out of different metals and the color is slightly different. It's definatly NOT an ebay 16g because the wastegate flapper arm would be round and not flat like it is. If that makes any sense.

bowtiebuba
04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Yea i'm pretty sure that's not an evo16g. Unless they swapped on a different turbine housing...that's no evo16g turbine housing. Also looks like it has a 34mm flapper. Did you take any pictures of the turbine inlet?

Everything else looks fantastic. That fender looks good, once you get it cleared it'll look great! Great job so far!

It is a evo 3 for sure ill dig up the reciet, i cost about 1000 dollars new akp639 will 2nd me on that it was on my 6 bolt i bought, so i used until i got a better turbo, the guy that sold me the engine had reciets for everything, it was kinda cool. me and akp639 dint think it was a evo because of the turbine housing also but the turbine housing on mine was actully bigger than his, and compressor side was the same as his evo 3 that he got from turbochargers.com

Luminatorz34
04-26-2007, 06:31 AM
lol....ok so im completly lost now. kinda he says she says kinda deal...what freaking turbo do i own here?

Ricky
04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
evo 3 if i read everything right

TbTalon94
04-26-2007, 08:02 AM
I think it'd be best if you measured the compressor wheel. Lemme go find specs and I'll have you measure the compressor wheel's exducer and inducer and we can tell. I know i just spoke jibberish to you but when i find the specs i'll tell you how to measure it.

No MHI evo3 turbo comes with that turbine housing. So unless it's a non-mhi evo3 then someone ripped you off Josh. I mean it's a 16g variant, just don't know which one for sure and i'm not trying to discredit anyone here, besides the person that sold you the turbo Josh.

-Trevor

*edit* $1,000 for an evo turbo is rediculous. That receipt is probably faulty.

Drifte
04-26-2007, 10:10 AM
So unless it's a non-mhi evo3

wait..i think someone said that like a week ago

no, no they couldnt have. oh wait, that was ME!

TbTalon94
04-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Ok here ya go. Here are the three different 16g compressor wheels. Just measure it and when it matches one compressor wheel then you'll know what you have. Like I said before...if this IS an evo16g they pretty much defeated one of the main features on the evo16g (the turbine housing) because it's almost 2.5lbs lighter.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/downloads/extras/mitsu/EVO_Comparison.jpg

bowtiebuba
04-26-2007, 11:23 PM
the turbo was bought a while ago i dont think the reciet would be faulty, they guy that owned my motor before i did owns "the shop" in hiawatha theres a huge long story to go along with how i got the motor but thats for another time. when he bought the turbo and built the motor everything for our cars cost more it seems from the recietes he gave me, he got a evo 3 manifold from forced preformance for 370 dollars! but still this was a while ago, ill have to dig through the reciets ad cheak dates, but i know its a good turbo, i was told it was evo 3, and the reciet said the same, but who knows, all i know is i wish i had another one for my new 1g, very cool info by the way trevor :yawinkle:

bowtiebuba
04-26-2007, 11:28 PM
when me and andrew "akp639" first saw the reciet for 1000 dollars for a 16g we bout fell over and had the same thought as you trevor thats redic. but o well i dint pay much for the motor and still have a tranny to sell that came off of it.

TbTalon94
04-27-2007, 07:53 AM
It's all good Josh i'm not discrediting you in anyway. You were told it was an evo3, so you sold it as an evo3. No blame should be placed on you. It still looks like a really good turbo (extremely clean) and will most likely perform just as good as an evo3 because of the porting/clipping.

The thing that get's me is awhile ago the evo3 turbo's used to be cheaper then they are now. That's why everyone and their mom had one and THAT was the turbo to get. Then the Greens/Reds came out from FP and those were for big players only. Funny how those are just relatively small turbos compared to the shit some guys run now, and the 16g is a baby toy.

It also doesn't look like he bought that turbo from FP either, they almost ALWAYS stamp the turbine housing with their logo. Idk who did the porting but if they did it then i am 100% positive they would stamp the housing. I'm thinking either the housings were switched...or it's just a ported/clipped big16g. Either way it's a good turbo and i'm positive you will be happy with it Luminator.

-Trevor

bowtiebuba
04-28-2007, 01:05 AM
it was a fun turbo, it dint come from fp, olny the evo 3 manifold did, the turbo originaly came from some smaller shop but it has been a good turbo, now i just hope to get my car running with the new turbo.

Luminatorz34
04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
i just hope i can get my car running....period. with this turbo or not haha

Luminatorz34
05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Ok, good news...........this beast finally took its first breath of life today....it runs!!!!!!! finally...it sounds pretty good, has damn good oil pressure. but has a high pitch squeal at 2k rpms.. didnt wanna jeopardize the motor so i shut her down...its a squeal coming from up top...thank god...i was scared for the bottom end. but bottom sounds good, i can deal with the top. maybe a cam race or a timing pulley or something...ill have her figured out and running tip top in no time.....whew thats a HUGE reflief for me now

Drifte
05-01-2007, 06:27 PM
congratulations. bring her down for the BBQ!

Luminatorz34
05-01-2007, 07:13 PM
oh i plan on it

Ricky
05-02-2007, 08:39 AM
its alive!!!!!

DustinsDuster
05-02-2007, 04:54 PM
some cars just wont die; others just dont want to live at all...its wierd how that works....

DustinsDuster
05-06-2007, 04:16 PM
well now you guys got me wonderin', what turbo do i have? i was under the impression it is a small 16g, is that right? what about the O2 housing, is it just the stock one? pics:

Luminatorz34
05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
looks like a stock o2 housing. and i think its actually a b16g

Drifte
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
kinda looked like a small 16g. turbine housing looked like 16g...im not real good at this game tho.

DustinsDuster
05-06-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah hopefully tomorrow Trevor can take a look at it and share his expertise

TbTalon94
05-07-2007, 08:12 AM
actually it looks to be an evo16g. The turbine housing is rounded up by the ex. mani. You need to take it off Dustin and show me the inlet and outlet of the turbine (exhaust side) side of it. Then I can tell. It sure looks like an evo3 though.

-Trevor

DustinsDuster
05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
the kid said it was an Evo3, but that doesnt automatically make it true. not calling him a liar, but i dont know any turbo from another really...

i'll post more pics when i get it off the motor