PDA

View Full Version : Explain my internet to me

belittle
12-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Alright. I think I retract my comment about mediacom. They absolutly sucks balls and I have proof.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/66695658.png

This is a speed test I just did. AMAZING fast speed as you can see.

Pretty much all I'm doing is uploading a video at a BLAZING FAST speed of 25kb/s to my new server. I have nothing else downloading/uploading.

This is what is does if I click pause on the upload:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/66697792.png

If I'm wrong can some explain?? This also does this when I download a torrent. It almost shuts down the internet to where you can't even open google.

This really really really makes me want to switch to qwest.

logans dad
12-16-2006, 05:02 PM
We had mediacom and switched for better online gaming. If doing Nascar online we would loose connection all the time and don't know with McLeod.

This is McLeod. You can see it kicks ass over mediacom.

This is to Chicago.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/66708339.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

fbodyguy
12-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Mine @ 6:15 tonight on Mediacom

Minneapolis
http://www.speedtest.net/result/66708924.png

Chicago
http://www.speedtest.net/result/66709408.png

logans dad
12-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Fbody, yours kicks over mine lol. Id say belittle has a bad line to his house and should call them to check it out, Its free. Belittles latency in his first test makes me think he has a bad line to his house.

I might switch back as I heard mediacom change there speed.

I dont know tho, the latency has a lot to do with it also and the lower it is the better. I see my latency is lower.

fbodyguy
12-16-2006, 05:32 PM
After reading Zachs post the other day I went upstairs and reset cable modem and walla. It's getting better for paying 41 a month I can actually believe I'm getting my moneys worth :)

logans dad
12-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Whats resetting it do?

belittle
12-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Whats resetting it do?

They upped there speed. I can't do more then one thing with there "broadband" speed. All I'm doing is uploading one thing at a slow speed. Just amazes me. Anyone else experience this?

logans dad
12-16-2006, 06:08 PM
belittle, Your high latency I think is due to a bad cable to your house. Ive had to have them come a couple times and replace mine. Bet you a beer thats what the problem is your having. Fbodys Mediacom looks real good compared to yours.

IPOCPresident
12-16-2006, 08:22 PM
It looks like you are having a ton of packet loss, run a ping test and see what that shows, also do a trace route and see where it is hanging up. Mediacom is having some issues in some areas here in Cedar Rapids since the increase in bandwith last Wednesday, and is doing everything possible to correct it.

belittle
12-16-2006, 09:37 PM
It looks like you are having a ton of packet loss, run a ping test and see what that shows, also do a trace route and see where it is hanging up. Mediacom is having some issues in some areas here in Cedar Rapids since the increase in bandwith last Wednesday, and is doing everything possible to correct it.

My only problem is that this has been happening since day one. I don't see how one upload of 29kb/s is slowing my download speed 6500kb/s and upload down to 25kb/s. And to think I'm going to pay 120 dollars for this shit.

I did a trace route test and I'm honestly not sure how to read it.

fbodyguy
12-17-2006, 12:00 AM
I had bad speeds till they replaced the cable from the house to the pole, it was rubbing on the shingles of the garage and had broken through the shield of the coax. I have all cat 6 in the house & RG6 coax, when I bought it a few years back I replaced all the cable in the house to make sure I had a good band width cable up to where ever I ran the cable modem.

*edit - Checked spelling as alcohol was added to this post last night

logans dad
12-17-2006, 01:18 AM
[quote="IPOCPresident";p="117621":5cfd1]It looks like you are having a ton of packet loss, run a ping test and see what that shows, also do a trace route and see where it is hanging up. Mediacom is having some issues in some areas here in Cedar Rapids since the increase in bandwith last Wednesday, and is doing everything possible to correct it.

My only problem is that this has been happening since day one. I don't see how one upload of 29kb/s is slowing my download speed 6500kb/s and upload down to 25kb/s. And to think I'm going to pay 120 dollars for this sh*t.

I did a trace route test and I'm honestly not sure how to read it.[/quote:5cfd1]

Did your house have the cable running up to it already when you moved in? Maybe it was bad to start. If not I would just call them to check it all out for you.

IPOCPresident
12-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Can you copy and paste the trace route? I can probably help you out from there. Also like Vic suggested, call and set up a service call. Call 1-877-387-8087 that is the Teir 1 tech support #. Are you in Cedar Rapids? If so PM your address and I might be able to check some stuff out.

ZacFields
12-17-2006, 12:17 PM
When the guy came and installed my cable in my condo, he discovered that the line from the house to the box was old because when he first installed it he said it was not getting enough signal or something so he replaced that line from the house to the box and it sped right up. You might have that problem maybe.

Heh... I think all businesses should have a support forum. Makes it so much easier to ask for help. And we got our professional (IPOCpresident) here to help us. lol

Zac

Fire Hawk
12-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Like they said have them check the line. When the line hits the house it should have 10 decibles of strength according to a person who does the cable installs for mediacom. If you don't have that much that could be part of the problem right there with it be a bad cable, or signal booster.

I could be wrong on this but like say you have 8mbit download speed but the person uploading the file to you only has a 512k speed the 8mbit isn't going to help anymore then a 20mbit due to the persons upload speed.

So would the server your uploading too is being lagged out, heavy traffic... then wouldn't it only let you upload what it's only able to download at?? Cause it's not like you can upload 512k and be done uploading before they are done downloading?

IPOCPresident
12-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Like they said have them check the line. When the line hits the house it should have 10 decibles of strength according to a person who does the cable installs for mediacom. If you don't have that much that could be part of the problem right there with it be a bad cable, or signal booster.

10 db hitting the house is good, but you don't want that much hitting the modem. Also you can check your modem diagnostics at 192.168.100.1 for most modems, RCA's are a little different, but most others are that site. If you couldd copy and paste the info from that website that would be helpful as well.

Snowman
12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Just did mine. We're very happy with mediacom.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/70378880.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Wally

ZEE
01-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Why does the hardwired desk top get 7700 kbps but the lap top on wireless connection get only 2800 kbps? My wireless is running 54 mbps. Do I need a faster wireless card?

fbodyguy
01-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Why does the hardwired desk top get 7700 kbps but the lap top on wireless connection get only 2800 kbps? My wireless is running 54 mbps. Do I need a faster wireless card?

Prolly like those LS-1's throw it away and start over :D

fbodyguy
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
jesus Wally! that is a hell of a connection!

ZEE
01-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Prolly like those LS-1's throw it away and start over :D

Or maybe it's like an LT1. No matter what I do, it will always be slow. :butthead:

fbodyguy
01-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Or maybe it's like an LT1. No matter what I do, it will always be slow. :butthead:

I''m gonna beat you this year :D

ZEE
01-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Maybe.....Maybe not. :yawinkle: